    MP3 music or should I put my Soundblaster Audigy Gamer soundcard in the
    system to "offload" the audio to the sound card and free up the motherboard
    and processor. What do you think, THANKS

    Herr Pie, Jan 10, 2004

  2. Herr Pie

    Lee Guest

    nowadays you don't really have an issue with freeing resources of onboard
    stuff over expansion buses cause due the buses already being extremely fast,
    personally i would sell your soundblaster audigy gamer and use the onboard
    ac97 as this is generally good enough sound for anything.

    Lee, Jan 10, 2004

  3. Herr Pie

    Herr Pie Guest

    Thanks for the reply, makes sense. Any audiophiles have any thoughts on the
    SNR of the AC97 vs. the Soundblaster Audigy??

    Herr Pie, Jan 10, 2004
  4. Herr Pie

    ICee Guest

    I've used the onboard sound on the NF7-S and now have my SB Live 5.1
    installed. IMHO, the SB Live sounds much better, so I would think the
    Audigy would sound really good compared to the onboard sound.

    ICee, Jan 10, 2004
  5. Herr Pie

    GTX_SlotCar Guest

    I've had 4 motherboards with the AC97 built in. 3 were Abit and 1 was Epox.
    Sometimes they were fine, but in some games they all had a raspy sound that
    was not there with my SB. Overall, you should have better sound with the
    SB.

    GTX_SlotCar, Jan 10, 2004
  6. Herr Pie

    xman Charlie Guest

    I use the audigy it, for direct to mp3 from my cds.

    The other boxes use the built in sound.

    my 2 cents

    xman Charlie, Jan 11, 2004
  7. Herr Pie

    Nil Einne Guest

    Do you have any idea what you''re talking about? You're not making
    sense. The problem with standard AC97 audio is it's generally just a
    soft codec and nothing else. The Nforce2 (and 1 and likely 3) boards
    with MCP-T have the Nforce2 APU which does full hardware acceleration
    etc but I don't think any other boards have anything similar. What
    this means is that everything but the DAC is done by the processor not
    the board. This is the major problem with most on board sound (this
    and the fact many have worse sound quality due to poor design etc)
    [SoundStorm certification sets a minimum standard to try and overcome
    the quality issue] It sounds as if the original poster is getting a P4
    (bad choice IMHO but to each their own) so we can be certain that the
    on board sound will use significant resources.Tom did a review on this
    recently which might be worth looking at even if it is Tom.

    Since the poster has a soundcard, it's a non issue. Just put it in.
    The only problem is from my understanding, Audigys use a lot of the
    PCI bus so if you're going to have firewire, gigabit lan, SATA, or
    whatever expansion cards you might have a bandwidth problem....

    Nil Einne, Jan 13, 2004