    My HD activity LED has two leads. Which pins should be used on the
    Promise board?

    Thanks. Paul H.

    Paul R. Hunt, Jul 27, 2004

  2. Paul R. Hunt

    Paul Guest

    I have an Ultra100 tx2 with the four pin header.

    If you look at the card and the little copper tracks, you
    may see something like this -

    --X +
    /
    / X -
    | |
    \ X -
    \
    --X +

    The outside two pins appear to be wired together, and they
    run to a current limiting resistor. The inside two pins
    are wired together, and I think they run off to the driver.
    I have a home brewed LED and cable assembly, and my red (+)
    wire is currently connected to the top pin, while my black (-)
    wire goes to the third pin down from the top, as I needed some
    room to be able to see the pins while inserting the wire. I
    used crimp pins that are designed to fit over the square posts
    of the header, and put shrink wrap around them, to insulate and
    prevent them from touching adjacent pins.

    If your LED has a two pin connector, then use the top two pins.
    If your LED has a three pin connector, and the center wire is
    missing, then you can still plug it into the top pin. If the LED
    had a four pin header, and used the outer two pins for the
    connections, then that wouldn't work, and you would need to
    extract a pin from the LED cable assembly and move it to
    a different hole in the plastic shroud, such that the wires
    lined up with a (+) and a (-).

    If the LED doesn't light the first time you connect everything
    up, simply disconnect the cable and rotate the connector 180
    degrees. Since 5V drive is used, the LED won't be damaged (most
    $0.10 LEDs have a 5V reverse rating). In fact, if you want, you
    can even plug this in while everything is powered, as long as
    you aren't so clumsy as to bend the pins enough to short them
    to something else. The LED pins can be safely shorted to one
    another, due to the use of the current limiting resistor, so it
    is pretty hard to damage the circuit. Of course, use ESD
    precautions, draining any static off your fingers, before
    working on it. (My standard recommendation is to power down and
    unplug the power supply, before working in any computer, because
    accidents do happen, and if you drop tools, or wires into a
    working computer, sparks can fly. The high current capability
    of the ATX PS means whatever short develops, something will
    be melted and/or will burn. I've had one nasty accident working
    in a live chassis, but that is a story for another day...)

    HTH,
    Paul

    Paul, Jul 27, 2004

  3. Paul R. Hunt