[OT?] RAM modules for g4/450 AGP?

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Eric P., Apr 24, 2006.

  1. Eric P.

    Eric P. Guest

    Hello,

    Sorry if this is the wrong list to ask about this (if so,
    please direct me!). I want to max out the RAM in my
    single-processor G4/450 AGP graphics machine.I know
    that means I'll be going up to 1.5GB of PC-100 SDRAM.
    Currently, I have all four memory slots filled as follows:

    Location Size Memory type
    DIMM0/J21 128 MB PC100-322S
    DIMM1/J22 128 MB PC100-322S
    DIMM2/J23 128 MB PC100-322S
    DIMM3/J24 256 MB PC100-222S
    Backside L2 cache: 1 MB

    My question is: should I keep any of these modules, or
    should I buy all new ones, and what is the best
    combination to add up to the 1.5GB?

    Any advice will be greatly appreciated as always.
    For e-mail replies, please send to "thustar at yahoo
    dot com."

    Thank you and happy computing,
    Eric P.

    Eric P., Apr 24, 2006

  2. Eric P.

    rkatz87 Guest

    Free Lcd Monitor! Anyone want an Ipod nano. Ive got a site thats giving
    them away for free. All you have to do is complete an offer and refer a
    few people. Plus its very easy to do and you don't even need to pay
    for shipping. There is no spam or scam... or anything else that starts
    with an s. I have even used this method before and have recieved a psp
    and a free dvd (Anchorman) both for free. If any one is interested here
    is the link. http://www.giftfiesta.com/?rid=879311

    rkatz87, Apr 24, 2006

  3. Checking Crucial's prices, the 512MB modules are significantly cheaper
    per Megabyte than the 256s. Replace two of the 128s with 512s and don't
    worry about getting all the way to 1.5GB. That extra 128MB isn't going
    to make much difference.

    Neill Massello, Apr 24, 2006
  4. Eric P.

    paulmd Guest

    I don't think it matters too much, performance wise. Though i would get
    all 4 sticks the same. Since any way you look at it you have to replace
    at least 3 of the sticks.

    512, 512, 256, 256 is probly cheapest.

    paulmd, Apr 24, 2006
  5. Eric P.

    42 Guest

    Agreed. That's the best value.
    The extra 1/8th GB is virtually irrelevant.

    42, Apr 24, 2006
  6. Eric P.

    Eric P. Guest

    A pair of 512s looks like just the ticket! I'll check around for the
    best price...will definitely have a look on eBay.

    I agree that the last little bit of RAM isn't at all critical, so
    close enough is good enough *S*

    Thanks,
    Eric

    Eric P., Apr 24, 2006
  7. What about interleaved memory access. If any of the memory pairs are
    different in size then that could mean that you only get half the potential
    memory bus speed?

    Richard Tomkins, Apr 24, 2006
  8. Eric P.

    Eric P. Guest

    No, interleaving is not an issue with this model. You could install any
    combination you wanted into the available slots with the same access,
    according to everything I've read about it.

    Happy computing,
    Eric

    Eric P., Apr 25, 2006