OT: Random 100% CPU Usage

Discussion in 'Nvidia' started by Lee Marsh, Sep 1, 2003.

  1. Lee Marsh

    Lee Marsh Guest

    Hi all,

    Just got a new computer but I have this problem... randomly for no reason
    after 2 - 10 minutes the CPU
    usage just goes straight to 100% and it won't go back down? this can happen
    even when the system is idle and nothing is being used on it.

    I've checked to make sure no services are running and checked for background
    tasks but its all clear, this is a new computer and was wondering if the
    power supply might be too low for the new stuff (its a 300w supply).

    The system details are as follows:

    VIA Hyperion 4 in 1 latest drivers with the ASUS A7V8X-X mobo
    SoundBlaster Live! Player 5.1
    AthlonXP 2600+
    80GB Seagate HDD
    40GB IBM HDD
    Mentor GeForceFX 5200
    Windows XP Professional slipstreamed with SP1

    Anyone know what the problem could be?

    Thanks for any help.

    Lee Marsh, Sep 1, 2003

  2. Lee Marsh

    JJay Guest

    When CPU goes to 100%, press CTRL-ALT-DEL. Look on the
    PROCESSES tab. This will list all the applications running,
    and what percent of the CPU they are taking. Find the one
    that's using 99% (or there abouts), and that will be the
    application/program causing the problem. Work from there.

    jj.
    ======

    JJay, Sep 1, 2003

  3. Lee Marsh

    Lee Marsh Guest

    I did that and the only thing that showed up as using 99% is the System Idle
    Process which is at 99 all the time even when the CPU Usage wasn't at 100%.

    Anyway it seems to be fixed now by looking at tweakxp.com and doing some
    registry changes.

    Lee Marsh, Sep 1, 2003
  4. Lee Marsh

    CeeBee Guest

    Just curious.... So your taskmanager tells you the CPU is using only 1%
    yet you have concluded it uses 100%?

    How did you see it used 100%? Some application or system utility must have
    told you there was 100% CPU usage, as you can't see from the outside of
    your PC your CPU is at 100%....

    --
    CeeBee

    Uxbridge: "By God, sir, I've lost my leg!"
    Wellington: "By God, sir, so you have!"

    Google CeeBee @ www.geocities.com/ceebee_2

    CeeBee, Sep 1, 2003
  5. Lee Marsh

    neopolaris Guest

    Doesn't the cpu Halt instruction display this activity?

    neopolaris, Sep 1, 2003
  6. Lee Marsh

    Lee Marsh Guest

    No after a few minutes of logging on the Task Manager would show my CPU
    usage at 100% in the Performance tab for no reason and it wouldn't go back
    down until a reset (this was definite because the temperature was rising too
    through other programs such as SpeedFan and MBM.

    I would walk away from the computer come back a few minutes later and see
    the computer was slowly opening folders, programs etc and saw in the
    taskmanager that the CPU was at 100% and their was no program nothing at all
    running except the usual (SVCHOST.EXE, EXPLORER.EXE, WINLOGON.EXE etc etc).

    So it was a bug either in one of the updates from WindowsUpdate or in
    Service Pack 1a itself.

    Lee Marsh, Sep 1, 2003
  7. Lee Marsh

    Lee Marsh Guest

    Damn its still doing it, well after about 2 hours its started to go back
    to 100% again.

    Lee Marsh, Sep 1, 2003
  8. dude if ur pc is opening random folders now and then .......... i think its
    time u invested in a firewall coz it seems like a hacker to me . its just a
    thought but its worth looking into.

    [D.A][email protected]#Bourne, Sep 1, 2003
  9. Lee Marsh

    Lee Marsh Guest

    It doesn't randonly open folders, after the computers been on for about
    2 minutes - 2 hours the CPU Usage goes to 100 % and their's no way to
    get it back down to 0.

    Guess this is just bad luck with AMD CPU's, had a similar problem with a
    K6-2 years ago except that used to lockup when using the Internet!.

    Lee Marsh, Sep 1, 2003
  10. Lee Marsh

    CeeBee Guest

    You shouldn't look at the _performance_ tab, you should look at the
    _processes_ tab; there you can see which process takes up what CPU-
    percentage.

    There are 4 columns: process name, username, CPU and memory usage. Look in
    the CPU column to see which process name uses what.

    If you found it, you could try to find it here:

    If there's nothing indicating CPU usage, you might have other problems,
    like a virus or trojan.

    CeeBee, Sep 2, 2003
  11. Lee Marsh

    Shep© Guest

    Switch off System Restore?
    Switch of hard drive file indexing?
    Switch off NTFS file name completion?

    Try the free XP Regscrub to clean the Registry and it's Misc Tab,
    http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/freeprog.html
    for tweaks and,
    http://www.winxpfix.com/
    Trim Startup group,
    http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/startup.html
    http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_pages/startup_full.htm

    HTH :)

    --
    Free Windows/PC help,
    Free songs download,

    Shep©, Sep 2, 2003
  12. Lee Marsh

    aep Guest

    Blaming the CPU is a steaming load of crap.

    Use the task manager and find out what process is using the CPU, if
    its "system idle process" then you probably shouldn't worry about it.
    Are you applications suffering performance issues as a result?

    aep, Sep 2, 2003
  13. Lee Marsh

    derob Guest

    Switch off System Restore?
    Switch of hard drive file indexing?
    Switch off NTFS file name completion?

    Try the free XP Regscrub to clean the Registry and it's Misc Tab,
    http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/freeprog.html
    for tweaks and,
    http://www.winxpfix.com/
    Trim Startup group,
    http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/startup.html
    http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_pages/startup_full.htm
    [/QUOTE]

    Yep, I agree, it is windows XP doing something when you are not active. I
    think it is drive optimization, as also the HDD does a lot of work at often
    the same random moments. As soon as you take any action yourself, this
    activity is stopped. And it has nothing to do with someone passing your
    firewall, because this also occurs when there is no internet connection.

    Greetz,

    Derob

    derob, Sep 2, 2003
  14. Lee Marsh

    Lee Marsh Guest

    Thats some of the first things I do after installing Windows (I also use
    FAT32 not NTFS).

    I've also checked it for viruses and trojans.

    Lee Marsh, Sep 2, 2003
  15. Lee Marsh

    Lee Marsh Guest

    Yes applications do suffer, the whole computer becomes unstable and
    stutters.

    Lee Marsh, Sep 2, 2003
  16. Lee Marsh

    Lee Marsh Guest

    Just installed Windows 2000 Pro on instead and so far its not doing it
    anymore.

    Lee Marsh, Sep 2, 2003
  17. I have seen this when using MBM5... for some reason MBM locks up sometimes,
    using 100% CPU. Check this if it happens again.

    /M

    Martin Eriksson, Sep 2, 2003
  18. Lee Marsh

    loonym Guest

    sounds amazingly like klev

    loonym, Sep 2, 2003
  19. Lee Marsh

    Lee Marsh Guest

    I didn't have MBM on, only SpeedFan does that use some files related to
    MBM?.

    Lee Marsh, Sep 2, 2003
  20. Lee Marsh

    Lee Marsh Guest

    I'll download that stinger file for future reference (I've just seen
    that it can be hidden from Antivirus software like AVG).

    Lee Marsh, Sep 2, 2003