OT Re: Must of -vs- Must've -vs- Must have

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Henry, Jan 22, 2009.

  1. Henry

    Henry Guest

    'Must of' is bad enough but somehow I think 'wood of' is even worse.

    Anyway, while we're in the neighbourhood : what's with this latest
    plague of the post-subject comma?

    The man, wrote a message.

    I've been seeing this more and more in the past few years, both in
    print and on websites with paid, presumably capable, editors; if you
    haven't noticed it yet, you will surely start to, now. :)

    My surmise is that a relative clause or other appositive...

    The man, angry about such abuse of language, wrote a message.

    ....has been not-quite-completely edited out. Any other speculation as to
    WHY?

    I seem to recall Lynne Truss calling this the 'lout's comma', which is
    suitably pejorative, I suppose. :) But for the legions who
    happily wallow in the muck of its / it's nonrecognition; wood of /
    should of / must of; the grocer's apostrophe &c., &c., I expect such
    chastisement is merely water off the proverbial duck's back.

    cheers,

    Henry

    Henry, Jan 22, 2009

  2. Tsk tsk. "Would of" (Would have) and not "Wood of". It's not a typo either
    because you wrote it again at the bottom of your message.

    Richard Wakeford, Jan 23, 2009

  3. Henry

    Henry Guest

    What a twit.
    heh heh

    You've got it, Joe; cf. Matthew 7, 6 :)

    cheers,

    Henry

    Henry, Jan 24, 2009
  4. Henry

    Tim Streater Guest

    <none-2301091806000001@dialup-4.232.75.207.dial1.losangeles1.level3.net>
    ,
    Who's he?

    Tim Streater, Jan 24, 2009
  5. It's hard to grok that English speaking folk have no idea who Newhart
    is, unless you're under 30 or maybe very old and forgetful, as I am
    becoming. All my Brit friends know some of his work. Even Canadians! :).

    John McWilliams, Jan 24, 2009
  6. Henry

    Tim Streater Guest

    grok?

    :)

    Cue my story re: grok, some Germans, and Sun Microsystems.

    And no, I neither know nor care who Bob Newhart is.

    Tim Streater, Jan 24, 2009
  7. Henry

    Tim Streater Guest

    <none-2401092118010001@dialup-4.232.75.226.dial1.losangeles1.level3.net>
    ,
    Rather, I was making the point that we shouldn't be expected to have
    heard of some third rate comedian.

    Tim Streater, Jan 25, 2009
  8. Rather, I was making the point that we shouldn't be expected to have
    heard of some third rate comedian.[/QUOTE]

    Actually, he is in the top tier. He has been a Las Vegas headliner.
    His first album was the top selling album of 1960, beating out Elvis and
    the cast recording of The Sound of Music, even though he had never
    appeared on TV or on stage prior to the release of the album. He had
    many more hit albums.

    His first TV show, a variety show, garnered a Peabody award and an Emmy
    nomination. He had two hit sitcoms; the first lasted six years, and the
    second was on for eight years; the final episode of the second series is
    one of the most watched finales in TV history. He also appeared as a
    guest star on many other TV shows.

    That is not a record of a third rater, or even a second rater.

    -- Michelle

    Michelle Steiner, Jan 25, 2009
  9. Henry

    Tim Streater Guest

    Actually, he is in the top tier. He has been a Las Vegas headliner.
    His first album was the top selling album of 1960, beating out Elvis and
    the cast recording of The Sound of Music, even though he had never
    appeared on TV or on stage prior to the release of the album. He had
    many more hit albums.

    His first TV show, a variety show, garnered a Peabody award and an Emmy
    nomination. He had two hit sitcoms; the first lasted six years, and the
    second was on for eight years; the final episode of the second series is
    one of the most watched finales in TV history. He also appeared as a
    guest star on many other TV shows.

    That is not a record of a third rater, or even a second rater.[/QUOTE]

    Not over here, though. Referring to an international cultural icon is
    one thing, referring to one who isn't is another. I'm just reminding
    folks that this is an *international* newsgroup.

    Tim Streater, Jan 25, 2009
  10. How come so many Brits are familiar with him, perhaps even fans?
    Everyone in this thread is aware this is an international, though
    sometimes too US centric, news group.

    John McWilliams, Jan 25, 2009
  11. Henry

    Tim Streater Guest

    <none-2501091249050001@dialup-4.232.72.178.dial1.losangeles1.level3.net>
    ,
    Aha! Your name is Hamilton Burger and I claim my £5. Now, there's a pair
    of cultural references for you. Still, at least you didn't claim that
    I'm anti-competent :)

    Tim Streater, Jan 25, 2009