    ability to access the msconfig/regedit functions, as well as the Control
    Panel, for someone who's not familiar or comfortable doing it themselves.

    Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

    Guy Quinn, Apr 2, 2006

  2. Guy Quinn

    Jay B Guest

    i use pcanywhere and radmin, both are excellent products that will allow
    you to completely remote control your computer as if you are there.

    i dont use the others you mentioned or any other 3rd party program for
    thatm atter where you have to connect to their server first or where
    they are acting as the mediator because i'm not sure i trust that they
    wouldnt be watching what you were doing. i'm just paranoid.

    Jay B, Apr 2, 2006

  3. Guy Quinn

    Tom Scales Guest

    I use Remote Desktop, but it has to be XP Pro.

    Tom Scales, Apr 2, 2006
  4. Guy Quinn

    Colin Wilson Guest

    I've come across GoToMyPC, LogMeIn and pcAnywhere in my research. I'm
    I use RealVNC - its free and should do what you need. Its multi-
    platform, so you can access a windows box from a linux or solaris box,
    and vice-versa.

    There`s a variant called UltraVNC which adds a few more capabilities,
    but i`ve found it a little buggy. There`s what I think is a slightly
    "hardened" version called TightVNC but I haven`t had the need to use
    it.

    One thing to note - if the target machine uses ZoneAlarm, you cannot
    alter any ZoneAlarm settings remotely - if it throws up a prompt, the
    "local" user has to do it.

    Its not a program i`d leave running all the time for obvious security
    reasons (although it is passworded) - depending on the computer skills
    of the end-user, i`d either create an icon on the desktop, or get them
    to run it from start / programs. I`d warn them to start the server
    only when they need the help and they`re talking to you on the
    phone...

    Colin Wilson, Apr 2, 2006
  5. not sure if logmein.com allows you to send a cntrl+alt+del but you should be
    able to bring up the task manager via a command prompt. the other do.
    gotomypc is fastest, followed by logmein, followed by pcanywhere.
    pcanywhere over the tcpip is not secure and so needs a vpn layer which add a
    level of complication that makes it undesirable (particularly since there
    are so many alternatives today - and if it is to only be used in a closed
    environment like a vpn or local intranet then why not just use the 'remote
    desktop' feature built into windows xp pro - same can be said about vcn).
    logmein is free if you don't need the file transfer feature, but gotomypc is
    a better product if you are going to pay for this feature. logmein and
    gotomypc are particularly handy since you only need a pc with internet
    explorer in order to get to the host (do not need to install pcanywhere, vcn
    or any vpn software) and since the hosting pc calls out to the vendors web
    site (logmein and gotomypc) they both work behind firewalls and they do not
    attract hackers to an open port on your router.

    Christopher Muto, Apr 2, 2006
  6. Guy Quinn

    hrdtd Guest

    I also use RealVNC on systems at work and at home.

    It's free, it's very simple to install.

    There are also comercial versions of RealVNC that have more features.

    When I'm at home and I get a call from work after hours, I can use RealVNC
    (along with a vpn connection) to check out the Servers at work and fix the
    problem without having to drive an hour to work.

    hrdtd, Apr 2, 2006
  7. Guy Quinn

    Guy Quinn Guest

    Thanks for the input. Looks like RealVNC is a winner!

    Guy Quinn, Apr 2, 2006
  8. Guy Quinn

    Tom Scales Guest

    I use it every day to control computers throughout the house.

    Tom Scales, Apr 3, 2006
  9. yes, if security isn't a concern. otherwise adding vpn to make vnc secure
    means you loose the versatility of using any computer in the world with ie
    on it to securely connect without having to configure a vpn tunnel.

    what had once made vcn interesting to me was that it worked with win98
    clients and that there weren't so many other choices... but with xp pro and
    rdc built in why bother with it? is there something that it does better
    than rdc?

    the real killer remote access application is the web workplace built into
    windows small business server 2003. seems that few people know about. it
    is a shame that microsoft doesn't offer it as a separate product for the
    full version of windows server 2003 - could stop citrix in their tracks.

    Christopher Muto, Apr 3, 2006
  10. why that in stead of rdc? do the remote computers only have xp home?

    Christopher Muto, Apr 3, 2006
  11. Guy Quinn

    Notan Guest

    I've been using Remote-Anything (http://twd-industries.com), for quite
    a few years, for just that reason... All flavors of Windows throughout
    the house.

    Notan

    Notan, Apr 3, 2006
  12. Guy Quinn

    Tom Scales Guest

    No, but RDC won't work properly with Snapstream's BeyondTV. RealVNC does.

    Tom Scales, Apr 3, 2006
  13. Guy Quinn

    Leythos Guest

    VNC over a public, unauthenticated, connection is a bad idea since the
    default port will let everyone probing your network know that you're
    running VNC by default. At least change the default port to something
    like 40100 or some other value and make sure that you use a STRONG
    PASSWORD.

    When we setup VNC, we never allow VNC inbound via the WAN, we require
    users to VPN into the network and then use VNC.

    We require the same method for Remote Desktop connections never allowing
    them from the Public, only from within a VPN session.

    Leythos, Apr 3, 2006
  14. that's interesting tom. i have seen rdc choke on displaying a live security
    camera feed on a remote computer with a wintv card. so vnc can do this?
    thanks.

    Christopher Muto, Apr 3, 2006
  15. Guy Quinn

    Leythos Guest

    We have a lot of DVR units for security, they come with various client
    software in addition to their web/active-X method.

    When we VPN into a clients network, then VNC into their machines, we can
    see the live video images in their client DVR software without any
    problems. I have not tried RDC as I don't really like it and don't trust
    it exposed to the public.

    Leythos, Apr 3, 2006
  16. Guy Quinn

    Tom Scales Guest

    No, it can't, but it doesn't completely choke on DX9, so I can get into the
    TV scheduling app.

    Tom Scales, Apr 3, 2006
  17. Guy Quinn

    Tom Scales Guest

    Interesting. Then I could likely make the video work in my app, but that's
    not what I need it for.

    Tom Scales, Apr 3, 2006
  18. To what capacity are you planning to use VNC? Personally I use it for
    home use between machines, but it doesn't fair well for Internet use.
    First off there is the security concern -- only the password is sent
    encrypted, so your session is open to anyone snooping. Next it's
    bandwith inefficient, so unless you have one heck of an upload speed
    it's not a good choice (although it does work fine over 802.11B). If
    you are to secure it, at least tunnel it (personally I do it via SSH,
    but a VPN works as well); you should note this will affect performance.

    On a side note, I'm actually really impressed by Remote Desktop, I've
    been using rdesktop on a box running Ubuntu at work to log into a
    desktop in the lab running XP Pro and the performance is great plus it
    can pass key presses like ctrl-alt-del or ctrl-alt-shift. Again, I
    wouldn't use Remote Desktop for over the Internet use, but for local LAN
    use between XP Pro machines (or a Linux machine logging into an XP Pro
    machine), it's great.

    If you are running Linux, then my personal favorite option is SSH. SSH
    can also be used to create tunnels for any log in software as well. SSH
    isn't just limited to Linux (there's clients and servers for just about
    every modern OS), but it really helps if the OS is command line
    interface friendly. There's a free SSH daemon (server) for Windows
    offered by Cygwin.

    Nicholas Andrade, Apr 3, 2006
  19. Guy Quinn

    JLA Guest

    Guy Quinnwrote:
    Sorry for the off topic post.
    If you have prior access to the system and/or network - PC Anywhere
    works as the best overall program as you can control a whole LAN from
    that point. Also giving you the ability to support your clients
    remotely and you can control if they can interact plus see the screen
    or not. Also with PC Anywhere you can deploy remote clients via the
    web or over your lan.

    Remote Desktop is great if you don't mind setting up multiple port
    forwarding and you do not require the user to interact with you
    during the session. Best of all, its free but you do loose some
    functionality in some areas

    With GoToMeeting, etc...if you want to pay them the money every month
    for it (and depend on their servers) go for it. It is the easiest
    solution but doesn't come with alot of functionality that you might
    need.

    JLA, Apr 3, 2006
  20. Guy Quinn

    hrdtd Guest

    Same here. When I remote in to our corporate network, first I have to
    establish a VPN connection using a Cisco VPN athenticator at work and Cisco
    VPN software on the client. Only after the VPN is established, can I remote
    into the systems at work via RealVNC.

    hrdtd, Apr 4, 2006