OT: Remote Desktop

Discussion in 'Dell' started by journey, May 9, 2006.

  1. journey

    journey Guest

    I'm posting this because there are a lot of people reading this group
    who might not know about this -- I didn't until recently.

    If you have a computer running Windows XP Professional or Windows XP
    Media Center Edition, then you can access that PC from another
    computer on your wireless network.

    (you can also access it from a computer connected to the Internet
    outside of your network but some other things need to be done beyond
    the scope of this post).

    Note that it is the operating system of the PC being accessed (the
    remote PC) and not the one you are using to access that matters (the
    cllient PC)..

    Benefits ...

    From my E1505 laptop I can access both my 630m laptop and my E510
    desktop computers from anywhere in my apartment (my recliner).

    From my client laptop (the 1505), I can bring up my remote computer
    screens (the E150 Desktop and 630m laptop) which are acessed through
    task bar buttons that I can just click on.

    The audio of a remote PC can be played on that PC or brought to the
    client. I keep my music on an external drive on my desktop which is
    hooked up to a fairly good (for a PC) speaker system. It's basically
    my home stereo now. Using remote desktop, I can control that PC and
    play music on it so it's like a remote control to my "home stereo
    system".

    More benefits ...

    - I can keep the client laptops much cleaner, because I don't need to
    install redundant programs on them. For all practical purposes, for
    most applications, it's as if I am connected directly. My desktop has
    some project management software, for example, that I only need to
    install there because I can access it remotely.

    - The client can display the remote PC's display at the resolution of
    the client. So, one laptop at 1680x1050 resoluton can access the
    other laptop at full screen even though the remote laptop has a lower
    resolution. I haven't tried using my desktop's larger monitor
    (1900x1200) to access my lower-resolution laptop yet -- that will be
    interesting...

    Some drawbacks...

    - I've noticed that viewing video as in video from online sites has
    the audio out of sync.

    - Media Center video cannot be accessed.

    - I don't know about DVD.

    I'm sure there are other benefits and drawbacks.

    For me using Remote Desktop makes my life a lot easier (keeping
    computers clean) and much more enjoyable (acessing my desktop from my
    reclinier :)

    Journey

    journey, May 9, 2006

  2. Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) is actually one of MS' better products; I
    use it daily at work to access machines across the building. It has a
    number of benefits over plain VNC such as being encrypted and capable of
    passing ports/multimedia easier. I typically access my Windows machine
    at work via rdesktop, a RDP client for Unix; to the best of my knowledge
    there is no RDP server for X11 (not that it needs one since it's
    inherently network protocol based). If you do plan to use RDP over the
    web (all you have to do is forward the port on your router's firewall),
    I strongly suggest changing the default port (3389) for RDP since it's
    ofter the brute force password attacks. A slight downside of RDP is
    that it logs off the active user unless you use a hack and replace a
    specific DLL with one from the beta candidate of SP2 (and obviously if
    you use weak passwords you're asking for trouble).

    Nicholas Andrade, May 9, 2006

  3. journey

    journey Guest

    Thank you -- I will choose a different port. I am going to set that
    up soon.

    RDP works so well for me I am not installing many programs such as
    Bonsai and Daynotez and other Palm desktop programs. I can access
    them using RDP from my laptops. I no longer have to worry about "what
    if I update a Bonsai outline on this PC, will it sync right on that
    PC?". It is greatly simplifying my life, in fact, for the last few
    days I have been using my notebook just to access my desktop remotely!

    Journey

    journey, May 10, 2006
  4. journey

    Joe Guest

    you like wasting your money on electricity, your ignorant to the fact you
    are adding to global warming, would you be american by chance?

    Joe, May 10, 2006
  5. journey

    Tom Scales Guest

    Let's see, you generate the electricity for your PC by peddeling your
    bicycle generator.

    Tom
    who has 9 PCs running in his house RIGHT NOW

    Tom Scales, May 10, 2006
  6. journey

    journey Guest

    OK wise guy, educate me. How much electricity am I using by running
    my laptop(s) in addition to my desktop.

    I don't identify with my nationality, and I have manners. I am just
    another person on space ship planet earth. There are people in all
    countries that are rude. You are a case in point.

    Journey

    journey, May 10, 2006
  7. journey

    Joe Guest

    OK wise guy, educate me. How much electricity am I using by running
    If left running non stop, I haven't gone and seen how much carbon each kw is
    worth. Cost is an assumption that electricity is 14p (26 cents) per kwh. I'd
    guess you have dirt cheap electricity though, energy costs here have gone up
    100% in a year.

    130watts, for a good laptop
    45p (84 cents) a day [3.12kw]
    £13.50 ($25.11) per month [93.6kw]
    £162 ($301.32) per year [1123kw]

    400watts for your desktop at peak
    £1.34 ($2.50) a day [9.6kw]
    £40.20 ($74.77) per month [288kw]
    £482.40 ($897.26) per year [3456kw]

    exchange rate of $1.86 to the £1

    Joe, May 10, 2006
  8. You have made multiple incorrect assumptions:
    First off, computers do not constantly draw peak power, in fact they
    typically draw less than half.
    Secondly, most people don't leave a laptop on 24/7/365 (and even if they
    do they at least let it hibernate when not in use).
    Finally, your method of calculating power cost (watts*hours) is
    incorrectly used, you ought to be using (watts*hours)/1000; this should
    have been obvious if your last unit of measurement was correct (but it
    wasn't) -- it should be kilowatt-hours (kWh).

    A more realistic assessment would be:

    Laptop (assumed: 70 watts during average use, owner sleeps 8 hours)
    (70W * 16h * 1)/1000 = 1.12kWh per day
    (70W * 16h * 30.4)/1000 = 34.04kWh per month (30.4 from 365/12)
    (70W * 16h * 365)/1000 = 408.8kWh per year

    You did correctly state that energy is cheaper in the US, so assuming 14
    cents per kWh we have
    $0.15 per day
    $7.77 per month
    $57.23 per year

    Now for the desktop I'd argue it's safe to assume that it also
    hibernates at night, but let's pretend it always up (eg. it's his web
    server). A fair guesstimate on average power is about 140W (assuming
    typical Pentium with 1 HDD, 1 optical drive, 1 graphics card, 2 sticks
    of RAM). It should be fairly obvious that the total cost per year will
    be under $200USD (doing the math is left to the reader). If you want a
    site to back me up on this, try this link:

    Nicholas Andrade, May 11, 2006
  9. journey

    journey Guest

    Thank you for the info., you have piqued my interest. What country do
    you live in?

    <I rambled a lot so I cut it out :)

    Journey

    journey, May 11, 2006
  10. journey

    journey Guest

    OK, now that you've said this I am doing a trial. Right now I have
    only the light that I need on in my apartment.

    I need help with a few little details:

    1) I have heard that turning a fluorescent light on and off takes
    more energy than leaving it on for a certain time period. How do I
    know whether to turn them on and off? Is this outdated?

    2) I have about 7 external hard drives. I have been leaving them on
    all the time, a few of them for a few years. Should I put them all on
    a switch that I can use to turn them off after I turn off the
    computer?

    Do people turn off their externals or leave them on?

    Journey

    journey, May 11, 2006
  11. journey

    Tom Scales Guest

    I leave them on, but I have to, as processes run 24/7.

    My approach to this situation is different. My wife and I have a tandem
    bicycle. We put more miles on the tandem in a year (~13,000) then we do on
    both cars combined. We won't drive a car for 4-5 days straight.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, May 11, 2006
  12. journey

    Joe Guest

    1) I have heard that turning a fluorescent light on and off takes
    if you are leaving the room for over 1min you then start to save money if
    you turn it off, if under a minute don't turn off.
    old power adaptors consume i slight amount of power even when product is
    off, new ones seem to run cooler when product is off.

    Joe, May 11, 2006
  13. journey

    journey Guest

    Sorry maybe I didn't make it clear. I was wondering more about
    letting external drives run and how much electricity that costs. The
    adapter reference was just a method that I could use to do it easily
    (if they are all plugged in to one that has 8 plug-in places I could
    turn them off easily)

    So, how much power does an external hard disk use and is it worth
    turning them off.

    I would assum that for most PC equipment now there are power-saving
    modes, like the disk drives stopping even if they are turned on.

    You haven't mentioned what country you are from. I am interested in
    knowing that.

    Also, what started your interest in conservation, and what are you
    doing in that area? Do you consume beef which is a very inefficient
    protein delivery method, or tofu which is much more earth friendly?

    What kind of car do you drive. My Toyota Matrix gets around 30mpg.

    Journey

    journey, May 12, 2006
  14. I hope you have them connected to a decent UPS otherwise a power surge
    is really going to suck for you.
    Boot - 25-30W per drive
    Seek/Read/Write - 12-18W per drive
    Idle - 8-12W per drive
    That's OS dependent, although I imagine the firmware on most enclosures
    might have something for when there's no host OS.
    Based on the poster's IP address (and the fact that the poster
    originally quoted figures in pound sterling), Great Britain.

    Nicholas Andrade, May 12, 2006
  15. journey

    journey Guest

    Thank you. I have it on an APC surge protector, the kind that has 11
    places to plug things in. Is that good enough?

    Also, I've always wondered -- is it OK or harmful to have one APC
    surge protector attached to a second one attached to a third one and
    then have externals on the 3rd one?

    I just have so many electronic things. You should see my setup!!!
    This isn't a binary newsgroup so I can't post it here but it's pretty
    impressive.

    With Windows Vista coming out, a lot of my stuff may not be able to
    use it, including my 2405FPW, which would be really disappointing.

    Journey

    journey, May 12, 2006
  16. journey

    Pat Conover Guest

    Nicholas is right. You need an UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply), surge
    and battery backup protection for all your computers and external hard
    drives, unless you like losing data. I lost one drive years ago to an
    on-off-on power blip, never again. The worst is when the power cycles on
    and off real fast, the drives don't have time to power down and park the
    heads.

    I use the larger APC units that I buy from Sam's Club for about $130, with
    two surge only and six surge and battery outlets. They also have the Power
    Chute software that will hibernate your computer if the power goes out and
    the UPS battery starts running low.

    I lost a phone system and other electronics to a lightning strike years ago.
    According to my phone expert, never have one surge protector or UPS daisy
    chained to another. He said they act to cancel each other out. Where's w
    tom when you need him :) I'm surprised you didn't know about all this
    already, since you seemed to be around computers for quite a while.
    HTH, Pat

    Pat Conover, May 12, 2006
  17. journey

    User N Guest

    User N looks at the munged email address above and thinks of ways of
    returning that quoted text.

    User N, May 12, 2006
  18. journey

    Joe Guest

    So, how much power does an external hard disk use and is it worth
    Sorry you would have to check on the adaptor, its amps x volts = wattage
    I believe its the computer software that puts the hard drive into power
    saving mode but could be wrong.
    I'm from the UK.
    At primary (kinder garten?) I had a good teacher who set us a project to do,
    I choose wildlife which i enjoyed very much. My mum did a degree in Biology,
    she used to bring home slides of plant cells etc to look under a microscope
    and show them to me. She always showed great respect for the environment,
    helping injured birds, and taking us for nature walks. We are like to the
    earth, to what a bacterial infection is to a cut in our skin. I just want my
    grandchildren (not even got kids yet, but really want) to enjoy everything
    there is to enjoy.
    VW Golf Mk3 1.4l, 37mpg.

    I have two bikes which I use to make short journeys into town, I used to
    cycle 20 miles a day though for 3 yrs before I had my car. Yes I feel bad,
    and yes its made me skint.

    Oh and i've just started growing all my own vegetables, but thats more to do
    with throwing out rotten vegetables i buy from the supermarket. As they've
    already travelled half way round the world they are no longer fresh, so go
    bad quick.

    Joe, May 12, 2006
  19. journey

    Joe Guest

    you like wasting your money on electricity, your ignorant to the fact you
    i myself stick my middle finger up and then gesture bring it mother f%$&er!

    Joe, May 12, 2006
  20. journey

    Jay B Guest

    if you want to explore how much things cost, get something called a
    killawatt meter. pretty cheap and its great to see what each of your
    electrical devices are doing...

    Jay B, May 12, 2006