    you want to fire the extinguisher and then quickly get out. However, in
    general, if there has been a fire in a room you probably want to get out
    anyway, the fire extinguisher not withstanding.

    Barry Watzman, May 10, 2007

  2. Journey

    Journey Guest

    The Pentium 4 left my apartment today (woo hoo). It is actually a
    zippy computer.

    I used it since December 2005, installing all kinds of trial software,
    and by the time I sold it, the computer was sloooooow.

    What makes a computer get slower over time -- is it the Registry, or
    ..dll's? I don't understand because it can't be explained just by
    running processes because I usually eliminate the non-essential ones.

    I moved my XPS 410 to my dining room, so my "entertainment center" is
    gone. I do have a 22" monitor that I could hook my laptop up to, but
    it's not the same as the 24" Dell monitor.

    So, I may get one of the large TV's after all. I have a Dell 5.1
    speaker system in the living room now that isn't being used.

    One laptop and one desktop are perfect for me. Anything more than
    that, and it gets really confusing. I am very happy to get rid of the
    extra dirve letters of the P4. I was running out of letters due to
    the number of external drives I have.

    I took the opportunity to organize my cables and power cords, and to
    remove the dust that accumulated. It is so much nicer now.

    Now that my living room has a big wide open space, I can do yoga
    again!

    Namaste.

    (Kumbaya lol)

    Journey, May 11, 2007

  3. Journey

    Ben Myers Guest

    Causes of sclerotic behavior in Windows computers, not in any order:

    1. REGISTRY fragmentation - caused by adding and deleting programs and heavy use
    of registry by most software, consistent with MICROSOFT'S design; use
    PageFileDefrag to fix. When the registry software hive has nearly 300
    fragments, as I saw in one system the other day, you can bet that the system
    will crawl.
    2. REGISTRY bloat - same reasons; registry grows as programs are added; use
    CCleaner to get rid of useless entries in registry, then defragment the
    registry.
    3. Too many files in %temp% folder - This is the folder that is expected to be
    used by software for any temporary files created, consistent with MICROSOFT'S
    design. Of course, programs, especially Microsoft's, leave all sorts of files
    behind, like little kids and dogs who make messes.
    4. Programs and services loaded when Windows starts up - It seems that everybody
    wants THEIR software to be loaded into memory when Windows starts up. So each
    resident chunk of software takes up its 2MB or 5MB or 20MB or whatever, then
    Whoops! Not much memory is left for you to do your work, and Windows begins
    thrashing the swap file to use virtual memory in place of the real thing. The
    fixes are remove programs from the startup list (MSCONFIG temporarily,
    HiJackThis for permanent removal) and add more system memory. Too many systems
    are sold with not enough memory for long term use.
    5. Disk fragmentation - Well, defrag is a crippled version of Executive
    Software's Diskeeper, but it is better than nothing. In particular, databases
    become fragmented quickly with frequent updating. These include mailboxes for
    Outlook, Outlook Express and Eudora. As a result, reading and sending email
    can be pathetically slow while the rest of the system is quite nimble, just
    because the In and Sent mailboxes are highly fragmented and not compacted.
    6. Lack of yoga, pilates, or some other regular aerobic exercise by the computer
    causes its arteries to become clogged with buildup of plaque... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, May 11, 2007
  4. Journey

    Journey Guest

    Hi Ben -- I'll do the yoga thing tomorrow. I did an all-nighter last
    night so today I am doing the caffeine thing lol. Amazingly, I posted
    to Craig's List after midnight to sell my Canon S3 IS camera, someone
    responded, and by 9am it was sold.

    I read your explanations, and none of them seem to explain why my P4
    got slower after 16 or so months of total abandon with installing
    trialware and removing it. I ran CCleaner and NTRegopt frequently, so
    I assume that would take care of the Registry. I removed any
    processes that aren't needed using MSConfig or a startup config
    utility (Codestuff Starter).

    The system had 2.5G of RAM, so even if there were some processes,
    there was a lot of RAM which would cut down on virtual file use (I
    didn't get any sleep so not sure if I am saying that correctly).

    So, I'm still perplexed as to why. When I restored the system to
    factory condition it was very zippy.

    Anyway, thanks for your well thought out explanation. I appreciate
    you taking the time.

    Journey, May 11, 2007
  5. Journey

    Journey Guest

    I don't know if you're into cameras. I'm not as advanced to want a
    DSLR, so I go with the high-end "compact" cameras that are a step
    below in price.

    The Canon S5 IS addresses the major concern I have with that line of
    cameras but increasing the rotating display (which is very important
    to me) to 2.5" from 2". Now it will be much more usable, and it gains
    much needed resolution too. The S3 produced great photos, but at
    times it wasn't "point and shoot"; it was more like "point and pray".

    The mp increases to 8mp, ISO is better for low-light situations and
    there are a few other upgrades that promote it to the "good enough"
    category.

    Journey, May 11, 2007
  6. Journey

    Tom Scales Guest

    I just bought the Canon SD1000. It's incredible small and marvel of
    engineering. They did an excellent job of ensuring that it is flat on
    all surfaces -- even flush buttons, which makes it the perfect pocket
    camera. It's a 7.1mp which is impressive in this small.

    I wanted a camera that I'd always have with me. Anything larger and I
    just won't carry it. I've got big digital SLRs when I want more mp.

    I really like the SD1000. I had the SD800IS, which I liked too, and
    loved the IS, but it was just enough bigger so I didn't carry. My
    really liked it so I gave it to her.

    Tom Scales, May 11, 2007
  7. Journey

    Journey Guest

    I like the SD1000's looks -- kind of retro, and kind of in line with
    the squarish cars out by Honda, Scion, and others. I like the SD 800
    IS for it's image stabilization, which is excellent (at higher ISO's I
    can take pictures at any angle, even to the side as I am driving 30mph
    and they come out fairly stable.

    Mainly though, I have it for the wide angle, which will be a
    requirement for all future semi-pocketable cameras that I will buy. It
    makes a big difference in the pictures that I take. I wouldn't call
    it pocketable, but I can easily carry it around with me on my belt if
    I know I will be taking pictures, or permanently because I always
    carry a backpack with me (the Swissgear backpacks are excellent, and
    have a top pouch where I can keep the camera, PDA, cell phone).

    I have been amazingly successful as I've said selling items on Craig's
    List. For a while I had a Sony DSC-T9, which is probably even more
    pocketable than the SD 1000. It definitely was nice to have it with
    me all the time. It didn't deliver on its advertised features however
    (good low-light) and its options and controls were ridiculously
    limited.

    I won't get another camera without image stabilization, but there is a
    benefit to not having it with the SD 1000 (although I havent read the
    reviews from the 3 sites I usually go to). Image stabilization
    softens the image. You might be able to comment on that because you
    have both cameras. It is a big difference -- if you take a portrait
    of someone with the SD 1000 you will probably see better detail --
    looking at the hair is a good way to measure it, and it is noticeable
    and can produce a more striking picture. The SD 1000 should be OK in
    most situations -- low light, indoors, esp. if zoomed, can produce a
    blurry picture, or higher ISO which produces more noise.

    I love the wide angle though.

    I will love the Canon S5 IS. I hope I don't have to wait all summer
    for it to come down to the sub-$400 price range. They always start
    out at $499 and quickly drop. The ideal price for me would be around
    $369. Cameras drop in price much faster these days, although there
    will be very high demand for the S5. I will never get a camera in its
    class without the rotating display. Having the rotating display
    allows taking more "candid" shots without being intrusive. Also, I
    can take pictures of myself, which is a favorite pasttime ;-)

    Sony could have hit a home run with its camera in that price range,
    but instead of a rotating display it has a tilt display which
    basically validates the benefit of it but only goes part way.

    The only reason I am up to date about this is because of my recent
    purchases. Now that I have the cameras, I will just enjoy them --
    they should last many years.

    Journey, May 12, 2007
  8. Journey

    Ben Myers Guest

    Try defragging the registry after cleaning it up with CCleaner... Ben

    Ben Myers, May 12, 2007
  9. Journey

    Tom Scales Guest

    I can't really comment, as I only had the 800 for a few days before I
    gave it away. I've barely touched the SD1000, so I can't really even
    comment on it yet.

    For 'serious' work, I have a Nikon D2X, so anything that requires a fast
    lens or a good flash or a wide, wide angle, I just pick up the beast.

    Tom Scales, May 12, 2007
  10. Hi!
    Indeed not. That is one of the tricks the BOFH* pulled out of his hat...

    *I suspect people here know who/what the BOFH is, but:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BOFH

    William

    William R. Walsh, May 12, 2007
  11. Journey

    Journey Guest

    That's what NTRegopt does -- defrags the registry.

    Journey, May 12, 2007
  12. Journey

    Journey Guest

    The B* from Hell's powers reminded me of how I felt being in the
    computer room of a major corporation by myself on a weekend. The
    mainframe, all the drives, and the HP Unix servers -- the entire
    lifeblood of the corporation was right there. What I could have done
    with a sledge hammer ..... !!!

    Later, at this same company (a household name), the database analysts
    where I am at (two of us) were given the option of 1 month of
    severance for every year of service, or to move to Chicago. I was
    there 12 years, and I sure as he** didn't want to move to Chicago, so
    I gladly took the year of severance with continuing benefits, and
    switched to a different corporation and got double pay for a year.
    That was in '97 when Y2000 was driving hiring and it was easy to find
    another job.

    The point I am rambling towards is that my end date was set for Friday
    and it was a Tuesday. I was leaving the corporation, yet I had FULL
    access to the corporations databases. That is unheard of. I could
    have easily put almost all systems out of service for a day or two,
    and even then they would be very challenged to recover.

    They did have confidence in me as a person of amazing character though
    so maybe that was factored in :)

    I worked the hardest I have ever worked documenting all the processes
    for the staff in Chicago, working late into the night. A curse of my
    entire career is that I spent it improving systems and documenting
    them well and doing a good job turning them over to the next person.
    NEVER, was that done for me my entire career -- systems were just
    dumped on me. So, if I seem amazed that companies aren't Vista-ready,
    with some smaller developers not even having run their program on
    Vista prior to its release -- it's similar -- I just can't comprehend
    things like that.

    At my next job they did a very good job of securing their systems. I
    can see why system security people are in high demand.

    Journey, May 12, 2007
  13. Journey

    Journey Guest

    <following is totally off-topic, feel free to skop>

    Unless a condo presents itself. I am skeptical, but there are
    supposedly good condos (conversion) for $135,000 in my area. I am
    going to look at one tomorrow. I would be in HEAVEN just to have a
    washer and dryer in my condo, and to have underground parking for the
    coooold Wisconsin winters (something Tom doesn't have to worry about
    -- I'm jealous).

    I might get $30,000 free money that I don't have to pay back -- if I
    do, then buying a condo will be a no-brainer. Fortunately, Ihave
    until the end of June to decide whether to renew my lease.

    Oh yes, this is a Dell newsgroup... hmmm, well -- I will definitely
    enjoy my Dell computers in any new living space.

    Journey, May 12, 2007
  14. BOFH. Now there's a name I haven't heard in quite a while...

    That man's my hero. If only us real Admin's could only do/(get away with)
    what he does......

    Timothy Drouillard, May 12, 2007
  15. Journey

    Journey Guest

    Is there a place on the net that has the collection of stories or
    cartoons (whatever they are).

    Journey, May 12, 2007
  16. Timothy Drouillard, May 12, 2007
  17. Journey

    Journey Guest

    Thanks -- I read episode 2 and it's great. I couldn't find episode 1.

    Journey, May 12, 2007
  18. Try this site for the original episode #1 and all the others.

    Note: the original BOFH series goes back many years.

    Timothy Drouillard, May 12, 2007
  19. Journey

    buddyb Guest

    You can justify anything if you remind yourself of that saying.
    Did you give him a legal operating system?

    If he got a computer that was upto date and would run any software on
    the present market, then I wouldn`t think there was a problem.
    It sounds as if the cpr was very well setup.
    Regards
    buddy b

    buddyb, May 13, 2007