OT: Solid State Notebook Hard Drives

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Journey, Apr 29, 2007.

  1. Journey

    Journey Guest

    Solid state notebook hard drives are on the way. In addition to
    products or demos from Samsung and Sandisk, there are other creative
    solutions such as:

    http://www.addonics.com/products/flash_memory_reader/ad44midecf.asp

    It's tempting, but I think right now that's on the bleeding edge.
    However, when solutions start to make their way into reality, it
    doesn't take long before they make their way into practicality (hmm
    sounds like something Jesse Jackson would say ...).

    It's interesting that soon after the Windows CE devices first came
    out, there were flash versions with full-size keyboards that would
    edit Word and Excel files nativley. Even my unused remaining HP
    Jornada 728 Windows CE HPC, which has a smaller keyboard, edits Word
    and Excel natively, unlike the newer Windows Mobile versions.

    "We shall not cease from exploration
    And the end of all our exploring
    Will be to arrive where we started
    And know the place for the first time."
    -- T.S. Eliot

    Journey, Apr 29, 2007

  2. Journey

    Rich Guest

    Rich, Apr 29, 2007

  3. Journey

    Journey Guest

    Wow, what a machine. Thanks for posting the link, I had no idea solid
    state HDDs were shipping yet. I wonder if Sony makes it or if it's
    from another company. Sandisk's OEM solid-state HDD is also 32G
    (maybe the solid state ones are powers of 2 or maybe it's the same
    drive).

    Journey, Apr 29, 2007
  4. Journey

    Rich Guest