OT: Sunday nite

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Puddin' Man, Feb 15, 2013.

  1. Puddin' Man

    Puddin' Man Guest

    Back in the 80's, I was running something called MUSIC under VM, submitting
    across an interface to a VS2/SVS (batch) system. Folks would caution me
    not to submit tape jobs on Sunday nite, lest the operators might abend
    my job to free up a tape drive for the backups they were always running
    on Sunday.

    How times have changed.

    I have a little desktop system built around an Asus H55 board and Intel
    Nahalem Clarkdale cpu and 2 identical Samsung 500gb HD's.

    | | | | | | |
    Disk 1 |D1P1| D1P2 | D1P3 | D1P4 |unalloc | D1P5 |
    | | W7 | XP | data | | old sys |

    | | | | | |
    Disk 2 |D2P1| D2P2 | D2P3 |unalloc | D2P4 |
    | | W7 | XP | | old sys |

    where DiPj is Partition j on Disk i.

    All OS's are either Win7 or XP. All partitions are NTFS. The P1's are
    presumably mere fragments (7.84 mb) left over from allocation, but Partition
    Wizard CD lists them as partitions.

    Every Sunday nite I delete D2P3 and copy/compress D1P3 to D2P3 running a
    bootable Partition Wizard CD. This effectively gives me an image copy of the
    used data on my primary use partition. D1P3 sits on 79 gb of space. The
    copied D2P3 is compressed down to used space of about 26 gb.

    Is D1P3 100% safe? If a file on D1P3 becomes corrupted, I can merely copy such
    file from D2P3 back to D1P3. Similar for a directory/file structure.

    If D1P3 became corrupted, I could copy D2P3 back to D1P3 using bootable
    Partition Wizard CD in a similar fashion? Remember that the disk geometries are
    identical.

    Safe? Unsafe?? What say you? :)

    Puddin' Man, Feb 15, 2013

  2. Puddin' Man

    Paul Guest

    You could use Macrium Reflect Free to do this. Like a number
    of other backup tools, it uses WinXP VSS, and you can do
    the backup of WinXP, while booted ihto WinXP. Only if you're
    doing a "bare metal restore", do you need to boot from the
    included Macrium boot CD, to do the restoration. (Most of the
    Macrium download, is a small Linux environment that boots
    into a dedicated GUI. You don't "see any Linux" while it is
    running, so there is nothing to learn.)

    The .vhd file collected, can likely be accessed. I think
    you might be able to do it with "vhdmount". It's possible
    the Macrium tool can do it as well. An OS like Windows 8
    may be able to mount a .vhd natively. I don't remember
    right off hand, how many Windows OSes can do this. WinXP
    needs the help of this tool to do it.

    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc708295(WS.10).aspx

    http://www.petri.co.il/mounting-vhd-files-with-vhdmount.htm

    The advantage of this method, is you can stay in WinXP
    when doing the backup.

    A disadvantage of your method, is if the compressed file
    is corrupted, error multiplication may cause the loss of
    more than one file from the backup.

    The VSS copy method, only writes out "busy" sectors. The
    service seems to know exactly which sectors are "officially busy".

    For maximum safety, disk2 should be in an external enclosure,
    and disconnected when not in usage. This prevents lightning
    from destroying both copies at the same time. Another
    fault mode, is when a power supply overvolts and burns
    both disks. Unplugging disk2 covers those kind of
    obscure failure cases. I think I've run into a USENET
    poster or two, who has experienced one of these kinds
    of failures (all disks ruined inside PC, at the same
    time), so the fault modes have actually happened.

    Paul

    Paul, Feb 16, 2013

  3. Puddin' Man

    Puddin' Man Guest

    I don't trust WinXP VSS. Microsoft has a horrorific rep
    for such software.
    I don't see that as an advantage. I seek stand-alone backup
    /image copying running on inactive HD partitions. This is
    traditional in the industry.
    I'm thinking of eliminating the compression step. There is
    plenty of disk space.
    If I had a nickel for every software process failing in one
    way or another this claim, I could afford to purchase the state of
    Rhode Island for a summer retreat? :)
    This is true. The design wasn't intended to cover all bases.
    Only very common disaster recovery scenarios.

    Are you using any Macrium software for such purposes? Tell
    the truth, now. :)

    If I eliminate the compression step, shouldn't Partition Wizard
    be sufficient for my purposes?

    Puddin' Man, Feb 17, 2013
  4. Puddin' Man

    Paul Guest

    Where is your spirit of adventure ? :)

    I haven't needed to use VHDMount, because I can load a .vhd into
    VPC2007 and get at the files that way. Because I have multiple
    methods of doing stuff, I haven't evaluated all possible methods.
    I've heard of VHDMount - it isn't trouble free, and needs to be
    tested.

    VHD files can also be mounted directly in Windows 8, as can ISO9660
    files. But not many people will own a copy of Windows 8, just so they
    can augment their backup and recovery processes. A few things about
    Windows 8 suck, which kind of keeps things in check (I won't go
    overboard as a promoter).

    Paul

    Paul, Feb 17, 2013
  5. Puddin' Man

    Paul Guest

    In this film strip, I evaluate Macrium within a VM (so I can take
    screen shots for documentation). You can see the interfaces, and
    how it works. Here, I'm demonstrating the backup of a Windows 7
    system which also has a couple (empty) data partitions. Just
    to give the test case some flavor. (Clicking your web browser
    cursor, should zoom into the picture. Scroll to review it.)

    http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/4512/macriumrestore.gif

    I do both a backup and a restore there. To do the restore,
    I boot the VM with the Macrium CD, and proceed to restore
    from the backup.

    You can do the first half of that procedure, then experiment
    with VHDMount and see whether it mounts all possible
    partitions at once, or allows you to select a particular
    partition.

    Have fun,
    Paul

    Paul, Feb 17, 2013