    I don't want to tie up the television when playing it, but
    don't want to buy another television. I have a 21" CRT on my PC here.
    If I get a TV tuner card, could I just use the CRT for the display?

    Larry Roberts, Feb 9, 2007

  2. Larry Roberts

    Conor Guest

    Yes. Make sure you get one that has Composite input. You'll also need a
    cable to adapt the two phono plugs for the audio to a single 3.5mm
    stereo jack plug which goes to the MIC for the soundcard.

    If you've got a graphics card that does VIVO and has a breakout box,
    you can just use that instead of a tuner.

    Whilst the picture quality is shite when doing it on a TFT monitor,
    it'll look fine on CRT.

    Conor, Feb 9, 2007

  3. Larry Roberts

    Rich Guest

    Just a word of warning not all TV cards display pictures on screen
    instantly.

    I.e. there can be a second or more delay. Hence for playing any
    console games they are useless.

    Thanks.

    Rich

    Rich, Feb 9, 2007
  4. Larry Roberts

    Conor Guest

    Not IME.

    Conor, Feb 9, 2007
  5. Larry Roberts

    deimos Guest

    Yes, just do a little research and look for a tuner card with a Philips
    SAA713x chip for the analog decoder. It produces EXCELLENT image
    quality, especially in deinterlacing applications like DScaler.

    I use a KWorld ATSC-110 that has a 7135 chip on it and the picture is
    very close to a decent analog TV set. Especially PS2 games in Dscaler;
    GT4 is beautiful deinterlaced. It also supports S-Video, so you get
    extra sharpness using that instead of a regular composite connections
    (yellow RCA jack type plug).

    And definitely keep the CRT for both the 4:3 aspect ratio and the higher
    color contrast ratio. An LCD isn't bad for a TV tuner, it's just that
    you'll run into a few miscellaneous problems syncing framerates and
    having amplified mpeg artifacts in videos/cutscenes.

    deimos, Feb 9, 2007
  6. Larry Roberts

    deimos Guest

    Absolutely correct. You have to watch out for the difference between
    PVR cards (which contain hardware MPEG-2 encoders that delay EVERYTHING)
    and regular TV tuner cards that output directly to the overlay.
    Sometimes you'll find software features like proprietary deinterlacing
    can induce frame delays, but nothing to worry about (1/60'th of a frame
    difference).

    PVR cards usually buffer 2 seconds or more before playback begins and
    only games that aren't realtime and support delayed audio (like Guitar
    Hero 2) will work effectively.

    Basically as long as you get a card WITHOUT a hardware MPEG encoder and
    that does encoding entirely by software, you should be OK.

    deimos, Feb 9, 2007
  7. Maybe this isn't allowed but I run an eBay store and I sell TV tuner
    cards. If you email me I'll give you a link.

    The cards use a SAA7134 chip and I have personally used them to play my
    XBox on my laptop.

    Ryan Hatfield, Feb 9, 2007
  8. Cool. Found a Hauppauge WinTV-GO PCI that has the right input,
    and I do have an RCA to stereo 3.5mm plug adaptor already. Thanks.

    Larry Roberts, Feb 10, 2007

  9. Does this card seem OK?
    http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=WINTV-GO-CO&cat=VCD

    Larry Roberts, Feb 10, 2007
  10. Larry Roberts

    Paul Guest

    BT848/BT878 do not compress their captured info, so there will
    not be a latency problem. This ~1.8MB doc is the datasheet for
    the main chip that does the capture.

    http://web.archive.org/web/20021204...rvlets/DownloadServlet/100119a.pdf?FileId=542

    "Video DMA Channels

    The Bt87x enables separate destinations for the odd and even fields,
    each controlled by a pixel Reduced Instruction Set Computing (RISC)
    instruction list."

    What that means in practice, is if you are previewing and capturing at
    the same time, the odd frames go to the preview window and the
    even frames are captured. If you limit yourself to one activity
    (preview without capture, or capture without preview), then there
    are fewer restrictions. Since you are attempting to just get a game
    to display on the screen, that won't affect what you are trying to do.

    And if the Hauppauge software doesn't do what you want, there are
    other utilities that can capture from your new card.

    Paul

    Paul, Feb 10, 2007
  11. Larry Roberts

    heycarnut Guest

    Hi Larry -

    have you thought about one of the viewsonic nextvision systems? I'm
    not sure they're made anymore, but I know that my local pc megastore
    has them on the cheap. These allow various combinations of video to be
    converted to vga output. I use one in a back room for displaying
    output from a cable box to a large LCD monitor. Works great, no delay
    issues talked about in some of the other posts with pvr cards.

    heycarnut, Feb 10, 2007
  12. Larry Roberts

    Conor Guest

    No problem. That's how I did it with mine. I used the WinTV app that
    came with the card.

    Conor, Feb 10, 2007
  13. Larry Roberts

    deimos Guest

    I have a WinTV Go and the IQ isn't all that great compared to newer
    cards. There was however a revision with a different Conexant chip and
    probably better quality. I notice on the Hauppauge site now that they
    call it a Go Plus.

    Right now for the best picture quality, you'll need to go with a CX2388x
    based card or a SAA713x decoder. The ATI HDTV Wonder and similar cards
    have them and have good software support too. Cheap ones like the
    KWorld I bought may have good IQ thanks to the decoder, but the software
    SUCKS. You really can't go wrong with Hauppauge for application support
    though. The WinTV app is pretty good and I used it for years.

    deimos, Feb 11, 2007