(OT) What security softwares are you using?

Discussion in 'Dell' started by S.Lewis, Jun 16, 2009.

  1. S.Lewis

    S.Lewis Guest

    Threats change. Programs change. Times change.

    Right now, I'm using:

    - AVG 8.5 Pro
    - MBAM/Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (manual scan)
    - SpyBot 1.6.2 (manual scan) - TeaTimer.exe realtime
    - Second AV look: BitDefender free online scanner

    Stuff I don't use anymore: AdAware, Windows Defender (MS ruined Giant
    anti-spyware) among others.

    Please list what you've got if you're in the mood.

    -Stew

    S.Lewis, Jun 16, 2009

  2. S.Lewis

    Colin Wilson Guest

    Right now, I'm using:
    Avast, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, ZoneAlarm

    Just to be controversial, i'll include Firefox as "security" software,
    as I believe it to be less prone to fscking up your machine relative
    to the Microsoft equivalent :p

    On that note, also include AdBlockPlus and if you want to be paranoid,
    NoScript to further augment the security in Firefox.

    Colin Wilson, Jun 16, 2009

  3. S.Lewis

    Daddy Guest

    I had a love/hate relationship with Kaspersky Internet Security for
    several years. Recently, I decided to try - of all things - Norton
    Internet Security 2009, which is receiving wide praise.

    To put the matter in perspective: I have been an avowed Symantec hater
    for years, for reasons we all know. The big deal about NIS is that it's
    supposed to be a huge change from previous Norton products. It was free
    (after the rebate), so what the hey?

    To my embarrassment, I am finding it very difficult to hate NIS 2009. It
    is everything the bad-old Nortons were not: It's lightweight,
    unobtrusive, doesn't try to sell you things, doesn't impose itself on
    your computer...oh, but how about the support? Now there's Norton's
    downfall. Everyone knows Symantec support sucks (when you can understand
    what they're saying.)

    Wrong. At least, not with NIS. I've had a few occasions to try out the
    support and - holy cow. The techs actually know what they're talking
    about, and the 'chat' is very understandable. And get this...they've
    brought back user forums, with moderators who really know their stuff.

    So I'm sticking with NIS 2009. Who'd have thunk it?

    Daddy

    Daddy, Jun 16, 2009
  4. S.Lewis

    Daddy Guest

    My venerable Dimension 4500 has a P4 2.26GHz processor with 1GB of
    PC2100 DDR-SDRAM. She'll go into semi-retirement early next year once
    Windows 7 settles down.

    Daddy

    Daddy, Jun 16, 2009
  5. I will second the vote for NIS 2009. Running it on 3 PCs at the moment, all
    are virus free and have had no issues with it. I have run NIS on one of
    these since computers since 2006 and have to say this is the best version
    yet.
    PC1: Q6600, 8GB ram, Vista Business 64 SP2, 1.5 years old
    PC2: Inspiron 8600, Centrino 2Ghz, 1GB ram, XP Pro SP3, 4.5 years old
    PC3: Pentium 4 2.8Ghz, 512MB ram, XP Home SP3, 5 years old

    Robert

    Robert McMillan, Jun 16, 2009
  6. S.Lewis

    Bob Villa Guest

    in a personal/home setting i use avg free or avast free along with
    malwarebytes free. avast is extremely effective at removing malware
    that
    the others can not because it can be schedualed to run a scan directly
    after
    booting and before windows is loaded.

    I agree with Mr. Muto (no Peter Lorre reference or disrespect
    intended) ; )

    Bob Villa, Jun 16, 2009
  7. S.Lewis

    S.Lewis Guest

    I'd like to know two things about NIS 2009:

    1) Go to start/run/services.msc and find the number of services associated
    with it that start automatically at each boot. I noted on a Toshiba
    Satellite OEM image that McAfee Internet Security had a grand total of (13)
    services associated with it.

    2) How many entries is NIS 2009 placing in startup? 2, 3 ?

    3) How many entries in Add-Remove Programs? 2-4? And........can it actually
    and correctly uninstall itself when requested to do so? (*not referring to
    leftover vestigal registry garbage, but rather if it can actually uninstall
    w/o assistance from any Symantec removal tool) >

    I know that both Norton and McAfee have offered their standalone AV programs
    for enterprise forever (which seems more appealing than either's security
    suites).

    I was tempted to pick up a Norton AV 5-seat pack for a client a couple of
    weeks ago. It was priced at around $100.

    No flame to posters using NIS. I've just seen too much performance-killing
    bloat, OS death and carnage from both Symantec and McAfee/Network Associates
    to trust either at this point.

    S.Lewis, Jun 16, 2009
  8. Hi!
    I've never had to deal with malware on my own computers. On computers
    that I work on...hoo boy! Nearly all of them leave with Spybot S&D and
    its resident protection in place once I've got the mess cleaned up and
    contained.

    For anti-virus software, I use and have been pretty happy with AVG.
    I've tried Avast! and didn't like it as much, especially when my
    OptiPlex GX400 started talking!

    Norton's Coporate version of their anti-virus product is still pretty
    much to the point, so I use that on other computers. As of late, it's
    been annoying about a few things that were not viruses, including the
    distributed.net client and the Angry IP Scanner.

    I use Firefox mainly because it has features that I want and it runs
    fine on Windows 2000. IE7 and 8 both have that horribly broken Vista
    UI--so I don't use or install them on my own computers. Customers that
    want those can have them, but I strongly suggest that they use Firefox
    if they at all can.

    Firefox to me is only somewhat security related, and that's because it
    doesn't include InfectiveX as IE does. Users can still be dumb and
    mess up their computers by downloading malicious programs, however.
    Windows Defender got a try and was shown the door when it started
    getting all hot and bothered about RealVNC.

    William

    William R. Walsh, Jun 16, 2009
  9. Hi!
    Ever since 2001, I was in the same boat. Norton ranked highly on my
    "most disliked programs" list for all those reasons--the bloat, the
    installers that didn't actually manage to work, uninstallation that
    wouldn't happen, annoying tendencies to upsell you to another product
    (something that I think they still do) and all that.

    I didn't believe it when PC Magazine gave Norton Internet Security
    their editor's choice in the last roundup they did of AV products.
    (This one happened in 2008 and I don't subscribe any more since the
    magazine doesn't exist in paper form.)

    But recently a Dimension E520 crossed my path with the latest version
    of Norton 360 installed. I've come to fear that program based on how
    bad SystemWorks and NIS were. I couldn't believe how little of an
    impact it had on that computer.

    On that alone, I'd be willing to give Symantec another chance...

    William

    William R. Walsh, Jun 16, 2009
  10. S.Lewis

    Nick Guest

    Real-time protection:

    Norton Internet Security 2009
    Spybot - Search & Destroy

    Manual scans only:

    Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    Secunia PSI
    SUPERAntiSpyware Free Edition

    Strictly speaking, Secunia PSI isn't security software. But it does tell me
    when I'm missing patches for security issues in various pieces of software I
    use, without me having to remember to check each program individually.

    I dropped Lavasoft AdAware too; it and I just didn't get along very well
    after a new version came out some time ago.

    --
    Nick <mailto:>

    Sturgeon's Law: "Ninety percent of everything is crap."

    Nick's Observation: "One person's ten percent is right smack dab in the
    middle of somebody else's ninety percent."

    Nick, Jun 16, 2009
  11. S.Lewis

    yirgster Guest

    I got tired of paying money. I put in two of Consumers Reports
    recommended free "suite":

    Avira AntiVir
    Windows Defender (Can't believe I did this.)

    In addition, I also use:

    Malwarebytes. Recommended by someone in our IT group.
    Zone Alarm Free. (A too often annoying program.)
    RUBotted (Trendmicro freebie).

    Last year: Kaspersky, Norton, AVG, Zone Alarm Free, Comodo

    The ratings on the CR website are interesting. As for the reviews in
    the various computer rags, they vary so greatly I can't draw any
    conclusions.

    RUBotted: occasionally it reports that I may be botted. This usually
    occurs after I've visited, sometimes accidentally, some website or
    other, usually from a foreign country. You're then supposed to run
    their on-line program (again free) to see what's what and if you've
    really been botted or what. However, I've never gotten that to work.
    It always bombs out or hangs after quite a while.

    To see what's what, I uninstall and then reinstall Rubotted. The
    warning message then disappears. Because, I think, what had occurred
    was an attempted access to a port or somesuch. Not that my machine was
    really botted, as this should continue to show up.

    yirgster, Jun 16, 2009
  12. S.Lewis

    Michael Arm Guest

    Afer I gave up on Norton several years ago, I went to Zone Alarm
    Suite. I started getting flaky with later release of version 7 and 8.

    Currently I using Sunbelt Software Vipre AV and Sunbelt Firewall. The
    AV works well, a bit slow but uses miminal resources. The firewall
    also works well but needs to be tweaked. Blocks a lot sites that have
    major third party ads but it can be worked around. Have good prices
    for home site licenses.

    I may have check out Norton again, however.

    Mike

    Michael Arm, Jun 20, 2009
  13. S.Lewis

    Daddy Guest

    I was a Norton hater for years and, to be honest, I'm still looking
    for signs that the leopard hasn't changed its spots. So far, I haven't
    found any.

    I think Symantec decided that it's more fun to torment Microsoft than it
    is to torment their own users.

    Daddy

    Daddy, Jun 21, 2009
  14. S.Lewis

    S.Lewis Guest

    <snip>

    I'd have to see this to believe it; that NIS (or any other suite) would have
    no services and no startup entries.

    No flame but I just don't believe it.

    That said, glad you're happy with it and it's working for you.

    -Stew

    S.Lewis, Jun 21, 2009
  15. S.Lewis

    Daddy Guest

    Stew: The Startup tab of the System Configuration Utility only shows
    startup items from a few registry locations (the HKLM and HKCU Run and
    RunOnce keys) plus the Start menu's Startup folder. Applications start
    in many other ways as well. The fact that NIS doesn't show up in the
    Startup tab only means it starts some other way.

    Likewise, the fact that NIS adds only one system service (the Norton
    Internet Security service) means nothing by itself. It's not /how many/
    services that matters; it's what the services do that makes a difference.

    Moreover, just because NIS 2009 is a winner doesn't mean NIS 2010 won't
    be a stinker. Software companies seem to have this knack for 'improving'
    their products until they suck. Remember Netscape Communicator 4.6? Or
    Zone Alarm 7? How about Winamp 5? Perfectly good products that were
    killed off by the owners because they couldn't leave well enough alone.

    Daddy

    Daddy, Jun 21, 2009
  16. S.Lewis

    S.Lewis Guest

    A quick read over at CNET seems to indicate a lot of users agree with you.
    Aside from one guy who 'crashed his machine', the main gripe seemed to be
    from people who'd purchased NIS 2009 online and downloaded it. Their main
    problem was due to 'automatic renewal' in the fine print of the agreement.

    S.Lewis, Jun 21, 2009