Outlook 2003 Crashes When Using a Form on a Motion 1400

Discussion in 'Tablet PC' started by Phil F, Jan 25, 2005.

  1. Phil F

    Phil F Guest

    Setup: Motion Computing 1400 Tablet PC as a client on a Small Business
    Server 2000 SP1 network connecting to the server both via 100Mb Ethernet and
    802.11G router. Office 2003 installed. No Outlook 2003 add-ins are present.

    Issue Description: When we use a custom form to forward SPAM emails as
    attachments, Outlook 2003 will crash when we insert the email attachments,
    or when we send the form with the attached emails, or when we delete the
    SPAM from
    its original folder after sending the form with the attached emails.
    Usually the form crashes on the first attempt at inserting the SPAM into the
    form as attachments. On the second attempt usually we can insert the SPAM
    as attachments and send the email to our SPAM filter vendor. Then it will
    crash when the SPAM is deleted from its respective folder. After Outlook
    2003 restarts, the SPAM has been deleted. This behavior occurs when the
    Tablet PC is connected to the network via wire or via wireless router. This
    behavior does NOT occur with Outlook 2003 on a Windows 2000 desktop using
    the exact same form and technique.

    I have recreated the form several times.
    I have uninstalled and reinstalled Office 2003.
    Neither of these two maneuvers has worked.

    Does anyone have any suggestions?

    Phil F

    Phil F, Jan 25, 2005

  2. Phil F

    Chris H. Guest

    Phil, I don't have a solution for you here, but you might also try posting
    these details to the microsoft.public.outlook and/or
    microsoft.public.outlook.program_forms newsgroup to let the Office MVPs have
    a shot at it. There's also a very good web site - www.slipstick.com - which
    MVP Sue Mosher runs which may be helpful for you. There should be no
    difference at all in reference to being on a Tablet PC, since the operating
    system (Windows XP Pro) and the Outlook program are the same.

    Chris H., Jan 25, 2005

  3. Phil F

    Phil F Guest

    Chris,

    Thanks for your post. I worked on this issue extensively in November of
    2004 with Winifred Weng in the
    microsoft.private.directaccess.outlook-exchangeclient newsgroup under the
    subject "Outlook 2003 Crash - Junk E-mail folder". Winfred suggested this
    news group. He felt that the problem was the tablet pc because the same
    form did not cause a crash on a desktop using Outlook 2003.

    Phil F

    Phil F, Jan 25, 2005
  4. Phil F

    Chris H. Guest

    Thanks. I'm also pursuing another angle for you now. I'll post back if I
    find anything for you.

    Chris H., Jan 25, 2005
  5. Phil F

    Phil F Guest

    Chris,

    Attached are the two entries (1 informational and 1 error) in the event log
    that are consistently reproduced in the Application section of the Event
    Viewer when the crash occurs. I hope this helps.

    Phil F

    Phil F, Jan 25, 2005
  6. Phil F

    Chris H. Guest

    The Event 1001 generally occurs when there's an entry in the
    %SystemRoot%\SYSVOL\Domain\Policies Group Policy directory structure is
    missing or is incorrect and the replication service is trying to replicate
    the directory but can't find it.

    To fix the problem, you can restore, or you can recreate the folder
    structure.
    NOTE: The files and folders in the <Machine> and <User> folders are
    re-created when you make a change to the policy file using the the Group
    Policy snap-in.
    To find the Globally Unique Identifier (GUID), use either of the following:
    Use Active Directory User and Computers:
    1. Start the Active Directory User and Computers snap-in.
    2. Check Advanced Features on the View menu.
    3. Press the + next to the System folder.
    4. Press the + next to the Policies folder.
    5. The {GUID}s are listed as folders.
    Use Ldp.exe:
    01. Start Ldp.exe from the Support\Reskit\Netmgmt\Dstool on the retail
    Windows 2000 Server CD-ROM.
    02. Press Connect on the Connection menu.
    03. Enter the Server name.
    04. Verifythat the port is set to 389.
    05. Clear the Connectionless box.
    06. Press OK to display server data in the right hand pane.
    07. Press Bind on the Connection menu.
    08. Enter the UserName, password, and DNSDomainName. You may have to mouse
    click to select the Domain check box.
    09. Press OK to receive Authenticated as dn:'<User>' in the right hand pane.
    10. Press Tree on the View menu.
    11. Enter dc=<DomainName>,dc=<DomainName> in the Base DN box.
    12. Press the + next to the System folder.
    13. Press the + next to the Policies folder.
    14. There should be a container with a {GUID} for every GPO in the
    directory.

    Event 1000 information is in this Knowledge Base article:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=312164 It also looks as if this may be
    related to the Offline Address Book download as outlined in this Knowledge
    Base article (in particular sections Q13/A13 and Q14/A14):
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;841273 .

    Now, that said, have you tried to do a Repair install on Office and Outlook
    2003 by going into Control Panel/Add or Remove Programs, locating the
    program listing, then using the Change button? As I said before, I'm no
    Outlook/Exchange expert, and will continue to pursue this issue, howver, the
    Outlook MVPs would be more adept at assisting you with the addition of the
    error messages you've posted. Let me know what happens.

    Chris H., Jan 25, 2005
  7. Phil F

    Phil F Guest

    Chris,

    I will try the suggestions tonight. I have uninstalled and reinstalled
    Office 2003 multiple times with no change. The crash still occurs. I
    worked through it with the outlook-exchangeclient partner newsgroup to no
    avail.

    I'll post back after I try the suggestions.

    Phil F

    Phil F, Jan 25, 2005
  8. Phil F

    Chris H. Guest

    I'm sorry, Phil, but I honestly don't know enough about this particular
    subject to be really helpful with the issues. I'll keep pushing on some
    fronts and see what appears for you.

    Chris H., Jan 25, 2005