Overclocked E6600 on MSI P6N SLI Plat

Discussion in 'MSI' started by Will, Apr 6, 2007.

  1. Will

    Will Guest

    It has been a few years since my last upgrade so I figured now as the
    time.

    Reading here and and homebuilders I went with

    MSI P6N SLI Platinum
    EVGA 8800GTS 320
    E6600 2.4GHz
    Patriot DDR2 PC2-6400 -- Newegg had a sale
    Scythe Ninja Cooler

    Am in hour 2 of a 12 hour burn in with dual Prime95 running, and all
    is great running at 3.4GHz, I did have it up to 3.6GHz but was getting
    a few screen flashes/leftovers when I switched resolutions so switched
    down to 3.4GHz and they are gone.
    Running Vista Aero with default graphics out of the boxes I was
    getting 5637 PCMarks05, in this state I am at 8183 PCMarks05.

    Windows Experience Index is at
    Processor: 5.7
    Memory: 5.0 -- Need to figure out how to increase this
    Graphics, Gaming Graphics: 5.9
    Hard Drive: 5.2 -- But this is an old hard drive

    Final Bios Settings ---

    FSB:1510
    Mem:800
    Mult:9
    CPU-V: +.1500
    RAM-V:2.05
    NB-V:1.35
    SB-V:1.50
    VTT:8%

    CPU temperature has been in the 37-42C range.

    Will, Apr 6, 2007

  2. Will

    dago81anchor Guest

    I just bought the exact same components as your build from newegg, and
    was wondering if you arrived at a completely stable OC.

    I run intensive graphics apps, no games, and need stability 24/7. I
    have a Seasonic M12, Antec p180b, and dual 150 Raptors (in RAID 1 -
    for mission critical security for the work I do).

    Do you have settings the will work on first boot, provide better
    performance, and just as stable as stock speeds?

    Any help as I build this rig this weekend would be greatly
    appreciated!

    -Red

    dago81anchor, Apr 27, 2007

  3. Will

    Folk Guest

    If stability and security are so important to you, why are you trying
    to OC?

    Folk, Apr 28, 2007
  4. Will

    Ed Medlin Guest

    A proper OC does not comprimise stability or security.

    Ed

    Ed Medlin, Apr 29, 2007
  5. Will

    Folk Guest

    Reasonable people would disagree.

    Folk, Apr 29, 2007
  6. Will

    Phil Weldon Guest

    'Folk' wrote:
    | Reasonable people would disagree.
    _____

    Reasonable people would base opinon on facts gathered from experience.

    Phil Weldon

    Phil Weldon, Apr 29, 2007
  7. Will

    Folk Guest

    OK. I've overclocked every system I've built for myself (five total).
    Does that count? Or are you the world's single expert on this
    subject?

    The very definition of overclocking is to operate a component beyond
    it's rated capacity. Doing so introduces the *potential* of
    instability. Reasonable people would find no reason to argue with
    that.

    I did *not* say that every overclock = an unstable system. I *did*
    ask someone whose paramount concern was stability why they are
    overclocking their system. It's a reasonable question (just as I
    might ask someone who values their health why they smoke tobacco), but
    I should have known that it would magically cause the trolls (who
    would argue that the sun rises in the west if someone were to casually
    mention otherwise) to appear from the woodwork that is Usenet.

    Feel free to provide amusing anecdotes detailing how your overclocked
    system pilots the space shuttle while simultaneously monitoring heart
    patients.

    Folk, Apr 30, 2007