Overclocked FSB - is this safe?

Discussion in 'AMD Thunderbird' started by noise, Jul 8, 2003.

  1. noise

    noise Guest

    Hi, I've just upgraded an old system to an Athlon XP 2600+ on an
    Epox 8RDA+ m'bd. with a single Samsung 256MB PC3200 DIMM (I'll get
    2 x 512 of some real high-performance stuff when I've got the $)

    The board is the revision 1.1 version, chipset is NForce 2 ST.
    AFAIK this isn't the new 400mhz FSB version of the chipset, however
    I've never heard of an "ST" version. The CPU was boxed, with a label
    stating "333 Mhz FSB".
    I noticed in the BIOS tonight that you can in fact set the FSB to
    400Mhz (options are 100, 133, 166, 200). So just for fun I tried it,
    not expecting the system to cope. Well, it did, and it's running
    fine right now as I type, after 3.5 hours or more. Memory is running
    at 400Mhz too, as always, tho' I've left it at the most conservative
    default settings (8, 3, 3, 3.0). (This is great - synchronous mem.
    and CPU at 400, when I only expected 333!)
    Have set the CPU multiplier to 10.5 so it's at 2100 Mhz.

    Previously, the CPU was running at 37 deg. C, now it's sitting at
    about 40/41, but I don't know if that has anything to do with the
    higher FSB... could have just warmed up over time as normal.

    Questions:
    1) is this a new version of the NForce2 chipset? It doesn't have
    S.ATA, so I don't think it's the actual 200Mhz NF2 that has recently
    been released. I knew you could set Expert mode and increment the FSB
    1 Mhz at a time, tho I'd never tried this 200Mhz option before (never
    bothered setting it above 166!) It's clock - doubling this setting,
    and the boot-up screen shows FSB = 400Mhz - ie. it's a net FSB of
    400, not 200, or is that not correct? You can't set it higher than
    this anyway, so I assume it's double what the BIOS shows.

    2) I expected this CPU to run hotter (but glad it's not!) It's a
    Thoroughbred B core. Ambient temp. tonight is cool-ish, around 10 deg.
    Is this about normal for this CPU? (taken the cover off the case, I
    don't have any more fans yet apart from CPU but I'll get some)

    3) Am I risking damaging the CPU, mb. chipset or anything else by
    setting this speed?

    4) Is it normal to be able to do this with my combination of equip-
    ment, or do I appear to have just got lucky here?

    5) How fast do you think I'll be able to run this CPU with running
    into stability problems? Is this model a good overclocker?

    6) At what temperature when overclocking should I get a better fan?
    It's just the one that came with the CPU at the moment. When that
    happens, what's a good fan for overclocked Athlons?

    7) Could it be deciding that 400's too fast and defaulting back to
    something lower without telling me? (unlikely, IMHO).

    Basically, I had no confidence that the thing would work at 400, yet
    I've been running it (with XP home) for some hours now without any
    sign of trouble. Also ran a couple of Quake3-based games to compare
    performance and they're all working fine. So this seems to me like
    a lucky unexpected bonus. I hadn't really planned on overclocking
    this system but if it's going to work this well, I might as well
    do it. Is there any advice or online resources I should check out
    regarding hot-rodding my system like this? I'm especially concerned
    about setting the proper voltages. If I have to raise V, I will
    probably need a new PSU as this one's a very basic 300W. Advice?

    Comment: it's got to be one of the best value systems on the local
    market. The board and CPU really were cheap, and it's a lot of bang-
    for-the-buck, IMHO, so congrats to these companies for great products.

    Thanks in advance,
    n.

    noise, Jul 8, 2003

  2. noise

    Gaidheal Guest

    Oops! Was accidentally not using the reply for previous post (shifted the
    damn icons around, heh!)

    Anyway.. I clock my 2400+ at FSB 200 just fine. I also use the nForce 2
    chipset, but it is the full 200FSB version with Soundstorm.

    As regards risk... there is always risk, it won't be guaranteed at that
    speed. However, if you get XP to boot with it and then stay stable with it,
    you are fine. NT is really fussy about hardware being fully stable and
    functional in order to boot successfully. I always use XP to test an OC'd
    system before I consider any other OS for later use.

    Gaidheal, Jul 11, 2003