    other 'guinea-pigs' ( or those with lots of spare cash) fill in the
    MTBF vs voltage profiles of 45nm processors..

    John Lewis

    John Lewis, Apr 27, 2008

  2. Early failure is pretty much always a risk with overclocking, even
    when specific cases are not published. That's the primary reason I
    don't do it.

    Renten Sterle, Apr 27, 2008

  3. John Lewis

    Augustus Guest

    And this was X-posted to the Nvidia and ATI videocard group for what reason?
    Because PC's have vieocards in them?

    Augustus, Apr 27, 2008
  4. John Lewis

    John Lewis Guest

    As the geometry of silicon gets smaller, core or case temperature
    becomes a far less reliable guide to the Mean Time before Failure.
    Other mechanisms such as applied voltage begin to dominate.

    John Lewis

    John Lewis, Apr 27, 2008
  5. John Lewis

    John Lewis Guest

    The misfortune happened at Anandtech in extreme stress testing..
    Probably the most respected PC hardware review site in the world for
    its technical authority. Er, Gary Key, the author of the article is
    one of their top reviewers. And he posted the warning as a practical
    instance of what can happen if you play with voltages in excess of
    manufacturer rating, as many other have found out recently when
    overvolting memory. Why not read the full blog and Gary's implied
    intentions before jumping in with both feet.

    Oh, btw. I do have quite a bit of stress/QC experience over quite a
    few years with standard digital silicon processes. It takes quite some
    time to fully establish the failure corners. Regardless of Intel's
    best efforts, I suspect there is quite a bit of learning still be to
    done even by Intel in that direction on hafnium-gate silicon.

    Nope.

    Because those that read those specific newsgroups are likely be more
    than casual PC users and highly likely to be in the
    build-it-and-tweak-it-yourself PC community. I thought it easier to
    reach more PC tweakers that way than try posting to a myriad of
    motherboard newsgroups besides Asus.

    You do leap to the wrong conclusions rather fast, don't you? Been
    very long in these newsgroups or are you just a passing newbie?

    John Lewis

    John Lewis, Apr 28, 2008
  6. John Lewis

    alanrco Guest

    hmm...

    I brought my complete PC recently Overclocked proccessor (quad 2.4 OC to
    3.2) and OC Vid as advertised. Wonder how mine will fare over the 12 months
    that is a legal requirement for warranty on goods sold in the UK. As a unit
    I've been informed, this would take precedent over individual item warranty
    requirements laid down by say, Intel or Nvidia. Also the selling company of
    the PC has the liability over individual parts manufacture.

    Interesting :)

    Alan

    alanrco, Apr 28, 2008
  7. John Lewis

    Augustus Guest

    You do leap to the wrong conclusions rather fast, don't you? Been
    Passing newbie?....lol....Who's the clown who's never heard of
    alt.comp.hardware.overclocking?

    Augustus, Apr 28, 2008
  8. John Lewis

    John Lewis Guest

    Not at all. However, I do happen to be a hardware engineer
    specializing in computer-based professional technical instrumentation,
    so maybe I do have some ability to discern technical competence in
    this field
    Really ? And what makes you come to that conclusion ?

    Perfectly average? Just like you ??

    Your moniker betrays your pomposity. Try applying to
    Anandtech as a reviewer some day. Or to Ars Technica as
    a journalist.

    John Lewis

    John Lewis, Apr 28, 2008
  9. John Lewis

    Augustus Guest

    Really ? And what makes you come to that conclusion ?
    I'm sure Mr.E.Solved won't sleep tonight now. It just breaks out hearts
    when some non-entity like you blows through the n/g cross-posting and
    talking out of his ass. Perhaps you can post some irrelevant gem again in,
    say, 2011 or 2012.

    Augustus, Apr 28, 2008
  10. John Lewis

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "John Lewis" typed:
    Or not. IMEE when people start claiming quals without backing the claims up
    it's usually a defence mechanism and chances are that it's bullshit.

    Anyone with half a brain (or more) would have just posted this to
    alt.comp.harware.overclocking. After all, if there was one group where this
    post would have been right on topic and open to knowledgable discussion
    that's the one.

    By their actions you will know them.

    ~misfit~, Apr 29, 2008
  11. John Lewis

    Augustus Guest

    The OP

    Augustus, Apr 29, 2008
  12. John Lewis

    John Lewis Guest

    If you managed to overclock without raising any voltages higher than
    Intel's/nVidia's/ memory-supplier recommended maximum, the core temp
    of the CPU does not exceed a conservative 60 degrees C and the GPU
    core does not exceed a conservative 80 degrees C while running the
    stress benchmarks, you should be in great shape.

    John Lewis

    John Lewis, Apr 29, 2008
  13. John Lewis

    John Lewis Guest

    .... in the context of the time to failure in the Anandtech article....

    next question?

    John Lewis, Apr 29, 2008
  14. John Lewis

    John Lewis Guest

    I was just passing along the Anandtech blog as a friendly warning for
    those far less knowledgeable about 45nm technology than yourself. You
    do work for one of Intel's process-evaluation group no doubt?

    John Lewis

    John Lewis, Apr 29, 2008
  15. John Lewis

    Augustus Guest

    I was just passing along the Anandtech blog as a friendly warning for
    You delusions about your vast and far reaching knowledge regarding "45nm
    technology" is of no consequence to me. You don't know me, or anyone else
    who posts here on a regular basis. So don't presume to. I don't give a shit
    if you invented the internet along with your unique ability to "discern
    technical competence". I put you in the same league as Skybuck and DaveW.
    Actually, I take that back. They do have some redeeming humour qualities
    they are unaware of. You are a just a puffed up, self styled "expert" with
    zero credibilty. A usenet search of your postings speaks volumes about
    your expertise, sources and knowledge base. Like the one back in Feb where
    you told First of One that the 8800GTX was an "archaic" technology. Of
    course, since you're a long time regular, unlike me who's just a passing
    newbie and and have just discovered usenet. You still haven't figured out
    how to post to just one group either.

    Augustus, Apr 29, 2008
  16. John Lewis

    ztwoeight Guest

    Here's a tip. If you use zero volts the CPU will last a lot longer than the
    estimated MTBF! <g>

    ztwoeight, May 2, 2008
  17. John Lewis

    Arno Wagner Guest

    MTBF is not a lifetime measure. MTBF is a failure probability
    during the lifetime period. For example HDDs have a lifetime
    of 5 years, and during that time the MTBF holds.

    Arno

    Arno Wagner, May 2, 2008