    The Bios is Amibios. Apparently these can be overclocked quite safely up to
    about 2.4Ghz. I'm not very familiar with this motherboard as I have upgraded
    from a P3 850Mhz. Can anyone give me advice? Thanks

    Mario Amorim, Dec 21, 2003

  2. Mario Amorim

    Wes Newell Guest

    Most PCchips boards have very limited overclocking capabilities.
    Multiplier x FSB = cpu speed, so if your board allows you to change either
    you can accomplish an overclock. The easiest overclock IMO would be to
    just change the FSB to 166MHz setting the cpu clock speed to 2000MHz.
    Default is 12x133 (1600MHz). Again, the board must properly support a
    166MHz FSB for this to work. You might also want to mod the cpu bridge
    that turns the Duron into an Athlon with the full 256K L2 cache. There's
    info all over the web on it. If you have an unlocked CPU, you might
    also want to consider the pinmod.

    http://www.ocinside.de/go_e.html?/html/workshop/pinmod/amd_pinmod.html

    Wes Newell, Dec 21, 2003

  3. Mario Amorim

    HamMan Guest

    http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/display/20030908004407.html

    looks like you just resolder one of the bridges...

    word of advice for your next system, dont touch PC-Chips with a 10ft clown
    pole.

    hamman

    HamMan, Dec 21, 2003
  4. Mario Amorim

    BitsAndBobs Guest

    Wise words...

    BitsAndBobs, Dec 21, 2003
  5. Mario Amorim

    Mario Amorim Guest

    You guys are getting me worried...... :-(

    Mario Amorim, Dec 21, 2003
  6. Mario Amorim

    HamMan Guest

    and with good reason! PCchips really do suck!

    i had one in the good ol P2 days, it wouldnt take XP, didnt overclock, had
    trouble addressing memory, virually no support, and kept rejecting my TnT2
    card. morst-motherboard-manufacturer-ever

    HamMan, Dec 21, 2003
  7. Mario Amorim

    Guest Guest

    My 2 cents here also. Never never buy a pcchips motherboard. Not worth
    the price at any price.

    Good luck

    HamMan> and with good reason! PCchips really do suck!

    HamMan> i had one in the good ol P2 days, it wouldnt take XP, didnt
    HamMan> overclock, had trouble addressing memory, virually no
    HamMan> support, and kept rejecting my TnT2 card.
    HamMan> morst-motherboard-manufacturer-ever

    Guest, Dec 22, 2003
  8. Mario Amorim

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Or a toilet-brush as my g/f would say.

    I've only had the misfortune of setting up (or trying to set up) one
    (second-hand) PC Chips mobo and it ended up in the bin after three hours.

    ~misfit~, Dec 22, 2003
  9. Mario Amorim

    TMack Guest

    I disagree with the comments about PCChips - they produced some
    real dogs a few years ago but they have also produced some very good value
    motherboards. There are still a lot of socket 7 M571 boards (SIS
    chipset) in use - I had one in an in a pc I was using as a router for two
    years or so until I retired it (still working) a few months ago. I remember
    my socket 7 M575 (ALI chipset) would beat the crap out intel TX chipset
    boards and gave me reliable service for a couple of years. My Super socket
    7 M577 (Via MVP3 chipset) was solid and reliable and overclocked well - I
    never had a problem with it, I still have it and it still works fine
    although it has also been retired. They have recently marketed a the
    'Syntax' range under their brand - the PCChips Synatx KT266 board
    can be bought for about £22.00 (about $35.00) and has been VERY highly
    praised by those who have bought it.

    Most of the criticism of PCChips comed from people who know little or
    nothing
    about PCChips motherboards - they are just parroting what they have heard or
    read
    elsewhere. However, if you try entering "worst motherboard" in google you
    will find
    plenty of contenders from other manufacturere Abit, Tyan, FIC, Asus etc.
    PCChips boards are usually manufactured by ECS - which in 2001 was the
    largest motherboard manufacturer in the world (and probably still is). You
    simply
    do NOT succeed at this level by manufacturing consistently poor products -
    many
    of the motherboards within PCs marketed by leading 'brands' have contained
    ECS/PCChips manufactured boards. It is also worth remembering that the
    larger the
    numbers sold, the more complaints will be heard about. If PCChips sell a
    million of
    a particular model and 0.5% are defective that is still 5,000 complaints.
    If, say, Epox
    sell 50,000 of a particular model with similar chipset and specs and an
    identical 0.5%
    defect rate then that would generate 250 complaints. If you were then to
    compare
    the twp products on the basis of the number of complaints alone, it would be
    easy to
    falsly assume that the one with the 5,000 complaints was much worse than the
    one
    with 250 - when if fact there is no difference at all.

    PCChips don't currently have anything on
    the market that is really competitive but if they produced an nforce2 board
    I wouldn't rule it out just because it was pcchips branded. The bottom line
    is to
    read reviews and user comments before buying ANY motherboard.

    Tony

    TMack, Dec 22, 2003
  10. Mario Amorim

    BitsAndBobs Guest

    LOL, Only if you knew... PcChips boards are cheap and nasty boards, everyone
    in the industry knows this. £25 for a board with everything on, hmm leaves
    alot of money for the manufacturing process doesn`t it ;0)

    My 2p worth (and a few other close colleagues who had the misfortune of
    these boards)

    BitsAndBobs, Dec 22, 2003
  11. Mario Amorim

    HamMan Guest

    Well i actually owned a slot-1 PCCHIPS board, so i think my opinion is valid
    Youre probably the only person who would.

    The bottom line
    agreed, but try and find a good review for a pcchips mobo

    HamMan, Dec 22, 2003
  12. Mario Amorim

    TMack Guest

    valid

    You owned ONE example of one model and that entitles you to an authoratative
    opinion about their entire range?
    It toolk all of 30 seconds to find a recent example
    http://www.techwarelabs.com/reviews/motherboard/pcchips_m847lu/index_7.shtml

    Also look here
    http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X3
    Jldmlld3M=&product_uid=51254
    for overwhelming positively user reviews of the PC Chips branded Syntax Via
    KT266 motherboard. Would you, bearing in mind the this overwhemingly
    positive support, maintain that PCChips boards are necessarily not to be
    touched with a 10ft clown pole? Are all these people lying?

    Tony

    TMack, Dec 22, 2003
  13. Mario Amorim

    Wes Newell Guest

    First, I don't use PCChips board at home. Not becuase they aren't any
    good, but because they are a basic boards with basic features. Usually no
    adjustments to fine tune the setup. I have however used somewhere between
    50 and 200 of these boards over the last 5 years. I found that there
    failure rate was actually less than so called named brand boards. Out of
    all the ones I've used, I only recall 1 failure, and that was the onboard
    video. I've since trashed several Epox boards along with several other
    name brand boards, including Shuttle, DFI, Abit, Asus, Intel, that weren't
    in sevice as long as the PC Chips boards. All of the pcchips boards I used
    were socket 7, and all but 1 is still working today afaik. Quality of MB's
    these days are pretty much the same across the whole manufacturing
    process. What you pay for is name and features. And if you happen to get
    one that fails, some brands do have better return policies, but you
    usually have to get a name brand board and pay the extra up front for
    these better services. It doesn't cost any more to make a name brand board
    than it does to make a PCchips board. The difference you pay is not in the
    manufacturing process.

    Wes Newell, Dec 22, 2003
  14. Mario Amorim

    Mario Amorim Guest

    I think I have created a monster.......LOL
    Ok, so now I have a very clear picture of how to overclocking the
    chip............. not.
    However, I am enjoying the remarks.

    Mario Amorim, Dec 23, 2003
  15. Mario Amorim

    TMack Guest

    The first response from Wes Newell told you much of what you want to know.
    However, this link may also be useful
    http://www.neoseeker.com/news/articles/headlines/Hardware/2759/

    Tony

    TMack, Dec 23, 2003
  16. Mario Amorim

    Immuno Guest

    Well - it comes down to "horses for courses".

    Do you ever watch those TV motor programmes where the guy berates a Merc
    because of tyre squeal at 200 mph .... blah blah blah. And all you want to
    know is what do I buy as my next family car....?

    If you want a cheap computer - PC chips boards are OK (I've got 3 of them
    next to me - for other people) I've built several - none have died (yet).
    The "manuals" are awful, and even too short for a decent dump...but at least
    the paper isn't too shiny :eek:)

    For ones own personal enjoyment.... more bells and whistles - Abit/Asus...
    all the way.

    HOWEVER - I did put a 1.6 Duron in a PCChips/Syntax 266 board - did the best
    I could with the bios - got the chip up to >2000Mhz, and did 1M Pi in 64
    seconds - not bad for less than 50 quid! :eek:)

    [...Oh did I mention the dirty-great copper HSF and the Corsair XMS memory
    :eek:)]

    I think I'll be buying a few more of those 1600 Durons, and they may even fo
    in some of those "PCCheaps" boards.

    Pete

    (don't forget the CMOS jumpers are shipped in the SHORTED posn. - about 50%
    of the people that claim theyr'e crap didn't RTFM).

    Immuno, Dec 29, 2003