    to auto. Any advice or experience to indicate I should lock this at 100 MHz?

    Or, did I blow it by not just getting the 90W version of the 4600+?

    TIA!

    Peter van der Goes, Mar 25, 2007

  2. Peter van der Goes

    Wes Newell Guest

    That would normally be a function in the MB bios. If your bios doesn't let
    you adjust the CPU voltage, then you'll have to look into changing the
    default some other way (via the cpu pins). But I'd really be surprised if
    there wasn't a cpu voltage setting in the bios. Hint, Jumperfree
    Configuration -> Advanced Voltage Control. RTFM.:)
    Won't hurt to lock it, but I've gone over 220 with mine at auto. Different
    MB and no PCIe devices.:)

    Wes Newell, Mar 25, 2007

  3. I must have been unclear. I can adjust the voltage, but I'm a bit unclear on
    how much is "safe".
    The specs I found indicate the voltage is "1.20 - 1.25v", a bit vague in
    itself.
    I was thinking 1.30 - 1.35v should be as high as I should go?
    OK, thanks for that. I'll try locking it and see if I can go up to 230.

    I appreciate your input, Wes. I know this is all trial and error in the
    main, so I'm going to try and err a biy more before settling for 220.

    Peter van der Goes, Mar 25, 2007
  4. Peter van der Goes

    Wes Newell Guest

    The specs don't mean anything as far as the voltage goes. that's the
    default voltage of that CPU to be classified as a XX watt cpu. The voltage
    on the same cpu rated at 89W is 1.40v. You will be safe all the way to
    1.55v and even beyond if you could go any higher. I've run my 89W X2 3800+
    at 1.55v and 2600MHz. Not a problem.
    I never change it less than 33Mhz on the first try. Actually while 233Mhz
    gave me problems on some boards, they worked fine at 234Mhz. Less than
    33MHz FSB change isn't even worth the trouble IMO.

    Wes Newell, Mar 26, 2007
  5. Hi Wes:

    Is there any advantage to OC the PCIe bus? I always locked mine at 100 MHz
    and never messed with it, because the performance/stability
    trade-off seemed a bit sketchy. My primary interest is in number crunching
    not gaming.

    TIA,

    Pete

    Pete Harrington, Apr 28, 2007
  6. Peter van der Goes

    Wes Newell Guest

    If you had a PCIe device that support faster speeds there might be an
    advantage to overclock it, but I really doubt it would be much.

    Wes Newell, Apr 28, 2007