    I ran ASUS probe to look at temperatures. MB is stable at 23C and CPU
    is between 25-27C. Voltages appear to be consistent as well.

    Should I be worried? Is my system trying to overclock itself?

    jbgcjncg, Nov 13, 2004

  2. jbgcjncg

    CoCo Guest

    hi

    no but you may have instable power. (or maybe a fan is going dead soon)

    coco

    CoCo, Nov 13, 2004

  3. jbgcjncg

    jbgcjncg Guest

    I put this system together about a month ago, and first noticed the
    sound 3-4 days ago. Other than that "overclocking" episode, it's been
    working perfectly. Voltage monitor software shows all stable voltages,
    I have a not-so-shabby Enermax PSU and all fans are new. I suppose
    it's still possible, but I don't know.

    jbgcjncg, Nov 14, 2004
  4. Watts, how many?
    I've heard it's good to have @ least a 450 W PSU or higher for almost all
    the
    AMD 64's.
    I just might've took that long to start having problems.
    +
    Put you hand at the back of your PSU, is it cool air coming out or warm.
    If it's warm air, your overworking your PSU & you need a higher one.
    If it's cool air, then it's not having any problems.
    Also keep in mind how much stuff you have running off of that PSU
    Hard Drives, CD-Roms, etc, etc.
    Almost all hd's are about 15W each
    CD-Roms are sometimes as much as 30W
    CPU's as high as 70W and over.
    boards take up around, well I would have to say close to half as much, if
    not more.
    Some boards today take up almost as much as the CPU.
    I would guess your cpu is closer to 90 or 100 Watts.
    I just did the figures on mine, and without Overclock, I get 315W
    I only have a 350 in this thing, so I am cutting it close.
    I also counted my Black Light, and don't always have it on.
    Denny. ;-) :)
    Denny. ;-) :)

    Dennis E Strausser Jr, Nov 15, 2004
  5. jbgcjncg

    jbgcjncg Guest

    Watts, how many?
    Hi, thanks for the suggestions.

    The air coming out of my PSU is cool, and I doubt I'm overworking it
    because it's a 430W Enermax and I only have one HD and one CD-ROM.
    That and the CPU on its own 12V line, so there should be enough
    wattage. I don't seem to be experiencing any other problems, other
    than what I outlined above, but the slight rattling sound does
    periodically come and go. Sometimes, it comes right as I turn the
    computer on. Confusion.

    jbgcjncg, Nov 15, 2004
  6. Prime suspect would be northbridge fan, GPU fan, or any other fans in the
    40mm range. Most northbridge fans tend to start having problems within 6
    months, sometimes sooner.
    I had an ASUS board that did this periodically. IIRC it seemed to be caused
    more often than not when the system wasn't soft-powered off (for example,
    sometimes came up when you hit the reset button if Windows locked up). Just
    check to make sure nothing's configured oddly in the BIOS and don't worry
    about it :)

    [...]

    Michael Brown, Nov 16, 2004
  7. jbgcjncg

    jbgcjncg Guest

    I think you may have nailed it.

    I do have an ASUS K8V-X board, and I do believe that before I did this
    controlled reboot, I switched the computer off while it was booting
    because the sound scared the crap out of me. ASUS weirdness? Perhaps,
    but it better not be attempting anything funny. I'm quite happy with
    the board, otherwise.

    I'll check out the fans from up close again, thanks for the hints!

    jbgcjncg, Nov 17, 2004
  8. jbgcjncg

    damgood85 Guest

    I just started building my own computer using the Asus k8v-x but i
    hangs during the install of XP. Then when I reset it I get the sam
    Overclocking Failed error. Asus recommended a bio
    update on the bord using their aflash.exe program so I tried but whe
    I go to do it I get an error that reads ERROR, cant fin
    system BIOS hook. ANY HELP????

    damgood85, Nov 17, 2005