    that you probably didn't (eg, "Disable all the uselss BIOS
    settings". Ok, which are useless?) If someone can point
    me in the right direction, that'd be great!

    Sorrow, Jun 5, 2004

  2. Sorrow

    kony Guest

    Your particular situation just happens to be about as easy as it gets...

    The XP2100 has 133MHz FSB, and 12.5X multiplier.

    Your motherboard and memory are both good up to at least 166MHz FSB
    (DDR333) and memory.

    Leaving multiplier alone, raise FSB speed to 166MHz... Result is 2.08GHz,
    close enough to your target speed. Default CPU voltage might be 1.65V?
    Raise that BEFORE changing FSB rate, around 1.7V might be about right for
    what you're wanting to do but can vary per each unique specimen of CPU
    even when same "XP" rating, but 1.7V should be in the ballpark.

    If you've changed any other bios settings you should write down and
    changes made, as there's a fair chance you may need to use the clear CMOS
    jumper if the board doesn't gracefully recover with a "watchdog timer",
    which essentially reverts FSB speed back to default setting if system
    doesn't POST. Familiarize yourself with location of the clear CMOS
    jumper.

    If system won't POST at all, you have two alternatives, lower the bus
    speed to result in lower CPU speed, or raise voltage. Keep in mind that
    temp WILL rise and if you're using a mediocre heatsink you may have temp
    issues above 1.65-1.75V, also depending on fan, case cooling, ambient
    temps, etc.

    After changing FSB speed, verifying that memory bus is set synchrous to
    (same speed as) memory bus, somtimes labeled as "100%" in nForce2 bios
    (dont' know for sure about that board), DO NOT BOOT TO THE OPERATING
    SYSTEM. Have a memtest86 floppy ready (http://www.memtest86.com) and
    test the system for several hours... It must pass this test without any
    errors before running the OS to avoid (or at least minimize) potential for
    errors. If errors occur you can do one or more of the following:

    1) Use different memory
    2) Lower memory bus rate percentage or keep it synchronous and lower FSB
    rate
    3) Change memory timings to slower values (higher numbers).
    4) Raise memory voltage (generally for advanced users only).

    You are taking the system's stability into your own hands, it's up to you
    to asses the importance of stability and how much you're willing to test
    the system to confirm this. One popular way to test CPU is with Prime95's
    Torture Test (particularly the "In Place Large FFTs" setting). Run that
    test and the full/default torture test for several hours. Another good
    test might be continual loops of 3DMark (whichever version is appropriate
    for your video card... if your video card isn't able to run 3DMark 2003
    very fast it's not much of a test, the rest of the system is mostly
    waiting on the video card which wouldn't be overclocked at all given the
    aforementioned FSB rate change, unless you'd ALSO changed AGP-related
    settings in the BIOS.

    Certainly this was not a comprehensive post, but it's enought to get you
    started. Watch the CPU temps and backup your data before booting to the
    operating system. Overclocking can also reveal flaws in other margin
    components like a barely-adequate power supply or low-end motherboard....
    do so at your own risk, plenty of people have good results but KNOW what
    you're doing and why, particularly if this is your only or primary-use
    system and you can't afford any significant system downtime.

    You might also find overclocking and mod guides specific to your
    motherboard with a Google search, or try here:
    http://forums.pcper.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9

    kony, Jun 5, 2004

  3. Sorrow

    Robert Guest

    Robert, Jun 5, 2004
  4. Sorrow

    Robert Guest

    Robert, Jun 5, 2004
  5. Sorrow

    Wes Newell Guest

    Set FSB to 161 (13x161=about 2100MHz.). Run ram in sync. Set vcore to
    1.65v or higher if needed for stabilty. Multplier x FSB clock = cpu speed.
    The default multiplier for the 2100+ is 13. Shouldn't have a problem at
    13x166 (2166MHz) either. That's where I usually run mine.

    Wes Newell, Jun 6, 2004
  6. Sorrow

    kony Guest

    OOPS!

    As Wes pointed out, the default multiplier on those is 13X, not 12.5X.
    Adjust rest of what I posted accordingly, you may still be able to run 13
    X 166MHz FSB though you may be at the point where average CPU vCore
    voltage needs 1.725, give or take +-.05V

    kony, Jun 6, 2004
  7. Sorrow

    Christoph Guest

    Do you set the new vcore value in the "Power BIOS Features" section under
    CPU Voltage Regulator?

    thnx,
    Sorrow

    Christoph, Jun 6, 2004
  8. Sorrow

    Wes Newell Guest

    It should be in the bios somewhere or mybe via jumpers on the board. I
    don't know, I don't have an epox board.

    Wes Newell, Jun 6, 2004
  9. Sorrow

    Sorrow Guest

    As Wes pointed out, the default multiplier on those is 13X, not 12.5X.
    The only things that I changed in the BIOS was the FSB (to 166MHz) and
    the value for "CPU Voltage Regulator" in the "Power BIOS Features" area.
    That last I changed to 1.7. Prime95 ran fine for about 6+ hours and then it
    locked up. I was running MBM5 at the time and having it log. Below is the
    first and last readout in that log. Do these numbers seem right? Are any
    too low/high?

    |Total number of readouts: 533 CPU Speed: 2176 MHz |
    |Running from: 6/6/2004 7:16:29 PM until: 6/6/2004 8:45:34 PM |
    +-----------------------------+----------+----------+----------+----------+
    |Sensor | Current | Low | High | Average |
    +-----------------------------+----------+----------+----------+----------+
    |Case | 32° C | 31° C | 32° C | 31° C |
    |CPU | 64° C | 52° C | 66° C | 63° C |
    |Sensor 3 | 0° C | 0° C | 0° C | 0° C |
    |Core 0 | 1.60 V | 1.58 V | 1.60 V | 1.60 V |
    |Core 1 | 1.66 V | 1.65 V | 1.71 V | 1.67 V |
    |+3.3 | 2.59 V | 2.56 V | 2.66 V | 2.60 V |
    |+5.00 | 5.00 V | 4.97 V | 5.00 V | 4.98 V |
    |+12.00 | 11.86 V | 11.80 V | 11.92 V | 11.85 V |
    |-12.00 | -7.09 V | -7.17 V | -7.09 V | -7.10 V |
    |-5.00 | -1.27 V | -1.27 V | -1.25 V | -1.27 V |
    |Fan 1 | 1513 RPM | 1328 RPM | 1534 RPM | 1339 RPM |
    |Fan 2 | 0 RPM | 0 RPM | 0 RPM | 0 RPM |

    |Fan 3 | 4891 RPM | 4687 RPM | 4891 RPM | 4807 RPM |
    +-----------------------------+----------+----------+----------+----------+

    |Total number of readouts: 1432 CPU Speed: 2176 MHz |
    |Running from: 6/6/2004 7:16:29 PM until: 6/6/2004 11:14:57 PM |
    +-----------------------------+----------+----------+----------+----------+
    |Sensor | Current | Low | High | Average |
    +-----------------------------+----------+----------+----------+----------+
    |Case | 33° C | 31° C | 33° C | 32° C |
    |CPU | 64° C | 52° C | 66° C | 64° C |
    |Sensor 3 | 0° C | 0° C | 0° C | 0° C |
    |Core 0 | 1.60 V | 1.58 V | 1.60 V | 1.60 V |
    |Core 1 | 1.66 V | 1.63 V | 1.71 V | 1.67 V |
    |+3.3 | 2.61 V | 2.54 V | 2.66 V | 2.60 V |
    |+5.00 | 4.97 V | 4.97 V | 5.00 V | 4.98 V |
    |+12.00 | 11.86 V | 11.73 V | 11.92 V | 11.85 V |
    |-12.00 | -7.09 V | -7.17 V | -7.09 V | -7.10 V |
    |-5.00 | -1.27 V | -1.27 V | -1.25 V | -1.27 V |
    |Fan 1 | 1520 RPM | 1328 RPM | 1555 RPM | 1451 RPM |
    |Fan 2 | 0 RPM | 0 RPM | 0 RPM | 0 RPM |
    |Fan 3 | 4891 RPM | 4687 RPM | 4891 RPM | 4808 RPM |
    +-----------------------------+----------+----------+----------+----------+

    Sorrow, Jun 7, 2004
  10. Sorrow

    kony Guest

    One thing important to mention, is that some systems can't even run
    Prime95 all day when they're NOT overclocked! A baseline is important.
    In other words, before any test you should've already used same test with
    system at stock speed, or at least rerun test that fails, at stock speed.
    In first readings the core voltage was dropped down to 1.65... your
    motherboard may be somewhat limiting your overclock. You might try
    running at lower voltage, it seems your temp, at 66C, was too high for
    comfort when overclocking.

    The 12V reading, @ 11.73, is within acceptable limits yet also looks to be
    dipping a bit, but could also be the motherboard's fault. You could take
    a 12V reading at a power supply plug with a multimeter and compare to the
    motherboard monitor reading, and further compare what MBM shows with
    system not overclocked. It's not really important to do that though, but
    you ought to check the 12V reading at hard drive to confirm that only the
    motherboard is seeing these dips.

    Basically I suspect the CPU is getting too hot, so your options are a
    better heatsink, trying a lower voltage, and/or reducing clock speed some.

    An alternate way of doing it might be to lower the voltage to 1.65V, then
    adjust FSB as high as it'll go while staying stable @ 1.65V... just
    depends on how much work you want to put into that last couple hundred
    MHz.

    kony, Jun 7, 2004
  11. Sorrow

    ~misfit~ Guest

    That +3.3v is very low. Not that it will necessarily be a problem. Mine was
    running similar levels but stable ([email protected]), however, I elected to
    replace the PSU anyway. The graphics card runs off the 3.3v and, in a lot of
    cases, the graphics card is the most expensive component in a PC, not worth
    risking it.

    Luck,

    ~misfit~, Jun 10, 2004
  12. Sorrow

    kony Guest

    But the 3.3V is SO low that I don't even think it is the 3.3V reading, it
    looks more like the memory voltage and that's just a bios bug that it
    reports wrong sensor.

    kony, Jun 10, 2004
  13. Sorrow

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Could be. My 3.3v rail was nearly that low and the machine was functioning
    Ok before I bought a new PSU.

    ~misfit~, Jun 10, 2004