    i dont overclock.

    tia

    jeff

    Jeff, Aug 17, 2006

  2. Jeff

    DaveW Guest

    It's very possible that your power supply unit, which you don't mention, is
    overtaxed by your harddrives' power load, and thus the PSU is becoming
    unstable in voltage output.

    DaveW, Aug 18, 2006

  3. Jeff

    Jeff Guest

    The PSU is 500Watts with the 24 pin connector (upgraded from 20 pin PS)

    Jeff, Aug 18, 2006
  4. Jeff

    Paul Guest

    "System failed due to CPU overclock" is a Vocal POST error message.
    It should be coming from the Lineout audio connector (green) on
    the back of the computer. (I'm surprised there is Vocal POST on the
    board, as the picture of the board I have, is missing the Winbond
    Vocal POST chip and the serial EEPROM that holds the error messages.
    If you look between the PCI slot furthest from the processor, and
    the edge of the motherboard, there is a nine hole position for the
    COM2 connector, and to the left of that is room for an 8 pin DIP
    for the serial EEPROM, and next to that the quad flat pack Winbond
    chip)

    When your computer starts up, at some point a flag is set, indicating
    the processor properly initialized. On the next restart, the flag is
    checked. If the flag is not set, then the "System failed" message
    could be delivered. So the current audio message you are hearing,
    could be caused by a CPU problem during the previous session.

    It is also possible that an Asus board could crash during the POST,
    and maybe the error message would be emitted during the current
    session. There isn't really any way to be sure what all the root
    causes can be.

    Most of the time, it has nothing to do with overclocking. I would
    get the error occasionally on my A7N8X, when my Mobile processor
    was not tweaked just right. When my processor would pass Prime95
    testing, for the most part those errors at startup stopped.

    So there could be a stability problem present in your system, or
    something could be screwing up the startup sequence, but this
    is not something an end-user can easily debug. Maybe a port 80
    PORT card would give some more hints, but other than that, fixing
    it will be hit or miss.

    It could be something as simple as a BIOS update will fix it.

    If there was a serious problem with the CPU at startup, you are
    more likely to hear "System Failed CPU Test". A timer is used
    on the Winbond chip, and if the BIOS code doesn't get to the
    Vocal POST chip in time, and clear the timer, then the "CPU Test"
    error message will come out. And that message can come out, even
    if the CPU is not plugged into the motherboard. The Vocal POST
    chip is an autonomous device, that can emit sounds without any
    processor being present. The serial EEPROM contains voice samples,
    and it also contains the sequencer program code for the Vocal
    POST chip to execute.

    Paul

    Paul, Aug 18, 2006
  5. I had the same error "Overclocking failed or overvoltage failed. Enter setup
    to reconfigure system" on a P5WD2-E Premium, Pentium D940.
    After some time and another error the computer could not boot : no display
    at boot.
    I moved slightly the memories inside theirs supports. This repaired the
    system. (I have two TWIN2X2048-6400PRO corsair memory : 4 Go)
    Georges Jullien

    Georges Jullien, Aug 18, 2006
  6. Jeff

    Paul Guest

    Ok, my mistake, so the message is printed on the screen.

    I wonder what "overvoltage" means in the context of that message ?
    That some voltage on the board is not at its programmed value ?
    Not all voltages used on the motherboard are monitored, because
    there aren't enough channels on the monitor chip.

    Presumably the first error is still related to the crash
    detection flag from the previous session.

    Paul

    Paul, Aug 18, 2006
  7. Jeff

    John Lewis Guest

    Er, exactly what is the +12V spec(s) on the power-supply. ( Your
    hard-disks can take up to 2amps peak from the +12V supply on spin-up.)

    John Lewis

    John Lewis, Aug 18, 2006
  8. Jeff

    Jeff Guest

    2.0 output 28 amps at +12v

    Ultra PS ultraproducts.com

    steady state current 8.5a

    but i tried it with one Hard Drive only and delayed booting took place

    4 out of 5 times i boot ok, the fifth is usually slow

    Cold boot...power completely removed..fine.

    Restart...that is where i see the slowdown, but NOT all the time

    i can try another PS, this one
    jeff

    Jeff, Aug 18, 2006
  9. Jeff

    SKJoy2001

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2007
    Messages:
    11
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Dhaka, Bangladesh
    I have the same trouble. Bought new power supply & UPS, still suffering from this. I have Asus P5L-MX with Pentiuam D at 2.8 GHz with one SATA HDD, one TV card, one FAX/MODEM card and one SONY DVD burner attached to the CPU.

    Can anyone help out...

    SKJoy2001, Jul 15, 2007