    CPU can go? I am aware of the batched tolerance methods used my IC
    distributers. Can someone please enlighten me as to what it is i am doing
    wrong. Many Thanks

    phrag, Feb 16, 2004

  2. If you overclock your CPU, you need to give it more vcore manually. It takes
    more power for it to run a faster FSB. Start with 1.6 volts and work your
    way up until it becomes stable. Then bump the FSB up until it becomes
    unstable, only to again bump up your vcore and repeat until your run into a
    wall. You should also add voltage to your memory to compensate for faster
    speeds. Then, run something to stress test the system like the burn-in
    module in SiSoft Sandra and try all of your applications, making sure that
    none crash. If it does, back it off until it doesn't. After that, run your
    computer for a week before you ever attempt something like defragging your
    drive or anything that may cause corruption if a crash occurs during the
    process.

    Also, when your FSB gets ever higher, you need to make sure your AGP is
    either locked at 66MHz or using a divider, set something close. Some
    motherboards allow you to lock in your AGP bus, some provide alternative
    dividers. You should not be running it on auto unless it's barely
    overclocked.

    I bumped my 2.6A up to 3.2 GHz and was stable until I tried my HP photo
    software. It just sat there. I've settled at 2.916 GHz and am stable all
    around. Different CPUs will OC differently. Don't expect the results
    someone else gets. Also, realize that the further you pump up your computer
    through OCing, it'll run that much hotter. Be careful of your temps.

    Lastly, other things, like your memory, can limit your ability to overclock.
    If you have DDR400, you have limited overhead for overclocking. If you ran
    DDR500 from a quality manufacturer like Corsair, you'd probably get more
    out of your CPU as it can take more than 500MHz. Then again, maybe, not...

    --
    Big Daddy Ruel Smith

    My SuSE Linux machine uptime:
    5:14pm up 8 days 17:46, 2 users, load average: 0.58, 0.81, 0.58

    My Windows XP machine uptime:
    Something less...

    Ruel Smith (Big Daddy), Feb 16, 2004

  3. phrag

    JH Guest

    I would not go too high with the CPU temp! Temperature becomes a problem.
    It may help if you tell us the board you have, then those with the exact
    board can tell you their settings.

    Keys:
    1. Lock agp/pci to 66/33 if available
    2. Any Accellerator such at GAT etc set to auto or disable
    You have the right idea of changing th e memory multiplier as you increase
    fsb
    Also set the memory voltage at least to 1.7 before you begin increasing the
    CPU voltage. Keep the P4 CPU increases to a minimum. I found that
    Hyperthreading caused problems if the voltage was upped too much - I suppose
    extra internal activity was creating too much heat.

    You have also considered a better than stock cooler? You can overclock some
    with the Intel supplied cooler, but much more with a better one.

    Good luck.. I have been at it since November and have just reached a stable
    3.3 (can do 3.5G - but the heat gets me) I have a 2.4C .. 3.3 Ghz, FSB 275
    CPU voltage 1.525 (shows 1.520 with CPUz), Mem is at 183 with 3:2 divider

    JH, Feb 16, 2004
  4. I'm having trouble overclocking my P4 2.6C. This is what i've done... The
    Perhaps you have an unlucky CPU :(

    Have you set the PCI/AGP/SRC bus speeds to a fixed 33/66/100MHz? If you run
    a Serial ATA drive on the ICH5 at over 100MHz then things tend to go wrong.
    If it's not fixed, then it's likely to be 1/2 whatever your FSB is.

    Every 2.6 i have seen will do 3.25GHz, some need up to 1.6 volts to do it,
    some do it at default voltage.

    Try increasing your vcore to 1.550 volts, also increase the AGP voltage by
    0.1 and also the RAM voltage by 0.1, then aim for 225FSB.

    Steve

    Stephen Williams, Feb 17, 2004
  5. phrag

    phrag Guest

    I include my complete setup on the url in my signature.

    phrag, Feb 17, 2004
  6. phrag

    phrag Guest

    Thanks all for your help. Going to have a play with it now =)

    phrag, Feb 17, 2004
  7. phrag

    phrag Guest

    This is highest stable setup i can overclock to...

    FSB = 216MHz
    CPU = 2810.732MHz [1.5750V]
    MEM = 359 - 5:4 [+0.3V]
    AGP = [+0.2v]

    =/

    phrag, Feb 18, 2004
  8. phrag

    phrag Guest

    Can anyone suggest any other factors that could be holding it back, or
    just the luck of the draw?

    phrag, Feb 18, 2004
  9. phrag

    phrag Guest

    If you overclock your CPU, you need to give it more vcore manually. It takes
    The highest my vcore my board can supply is 1.6V according to bios.

    phrag, Feb 18, 2004
  10. Vcore voltage? 1.575 isn't very much extra juice to get it overclocked very
    far. I have a board based on the 845 chipset. It has a 400 MHz FSB, which
    is 100 MHz quad pumped. The magic number to overclock this board/cpu is 133
    x 4, which would give you 533 MHz FSB. To get that, everyone had to jump
    from 1.5 volts stock to 1.8 or 1.85 volts on this board. Gigabyte used to
    provide means to get that high of a vcore in their earlier BIOS's. After
    F6, they limited it to 1.75 and people no longer could get the 533 MHz FSB.

    Try pushing the voltage up some more with the FSB. If you're stable at your
    current speed, push the voltage up to 1.625V and then bump the FSB as far
    as you can get stable. Then, bump the voltage up to 1.675 and repeat.
    Repeat again and see how far you can get stable.

    Then again, you just might have a CPU that isn't very overclockable. I doubt
    it. Other factors are involved like your memory, motherboard, etc.

    --
    Big Daddy Ruel Smith

    My SuSE Linux machine uptime:
    4:35pm up 1 day 21:21, 2 users, load average: 0.16, 0.22, 0.18

    Ruel Smith (Big Daddy), Feb 18, 2004
  11. Run with it and see how far you can go. Maybe your board just isn't a good
    OC board. What board do you have?

    --
    Big Daddy Ruel Smith

    My SuSE Linux machine uptime:
    4:44pm up 1 day 21:30, 2 users, load average: 1.71, 1.57, 0.91

    Ruel Smith (Big Daddy), Feb 18, 2004
  12. phrag

    JH Guest

    You dont tell me your rmemory settings...
    216 is prob the max your mem will go, not too shabby either.

    Set memoery to 5:4 divider or 3:2 and keep going up the FSB scale!

    JH, Feb 19, 2004
  13. phrag

    phrag Guest

    Vcore voltage? 1.575 isn't very much extra juice to get it overclocked very
    I can boot at 2.92GHz [FSB 220], with vcore 1.6V [max], RAM +0.3V, AGP
    +0.3V, however system is unstable.

    phrag, Feb 19, 2004
  14. phrag

    phrag Guest

    FSB 216?

    phrag, Feb 19, 2004
  15. phrag

    Testadura Guest

    This is highest stable setup i can overclock to...
    Aren't you using any kind of "automatic overclocking" don't remember the
    exact name in a GA8ik1100 bios, one was some thing optimized, the other
    one was in CPU menu.
    Also check, AGP and PCI is lock to 66/33
    If so remove it.

    Testadura, Feb 19, 2004
  16. phrag

    Simon Guest

    don't use easytune, do it in the bios. easytune doesn't lock the agp/pci
    bus.
    No need to give the AGP more volts as your aren't overclocking the AGP
    Set the DRAM voltage to 2.6v. no need for higher unless you are OC it
    Set the CPU VCORE 1.575 and keep increasing the FSB. Use the memory ratio to
    keep the memory below 410.
    my 2.6 is ruuning on the same board at FSB 245, 1.575v, memory 2.6v 5:4
    ratio = 3.2ghz

    Simon, Feb 19, 2004
  17. phrag

    Simon Guest

    of course i mean 1.66 ratio

    Simon, Feb 19, 2004
  18. phrag

    phrag Guest

    I think its my RAM thats holing me back. Going to purchase some
    Corsair TWINX1024-3200LLPRO.
    Easytune? I run linux =P

    phrag, Feb 19, 2004