Overclocking problem with AMD Opteron 165

Discussion in 'AMD Overclocking' started by brady.sondreal, Jan 19, 2007.

  1. Hello,

    I'm very new to overclocking so please bare with my ignorance.
    I attempted my first overclock, but wasn't able to get very far.
    I raised my bus speed from 204 to 220 and i get a blue screen if i go
    any higher.
    Most users report they can get anywhere from 2.6 to 2.8 on air with the
    Opteron 165. I can get 1.98.
    My CPU is at 17C thanks to the Zalman 9500 Heatsink/fan.
    It raises to 21C when i get up to a bus speed of 220.
    My system is running at 27C.
    I've tried changing the vcore anywhere from 1.35 to 1.55, but i still
    can't get it running any faster.
    My memory is running at 433(216).
    I tried changing back to the default 400, but that made no difference.
    I'm using an A-DATA Vitesta 2GB (2 x 1GB) DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual
    Channel Kit Desktop Memory kit.
    I've ran Windows Memory Diagnostic and Memtest 86 and no errors were
    reported.
    My board is an Abit Av8.
    My power supply is a Thermaltake TR2 W0070RUC ATX 430W.

    Please let me know if I've left out any important info.
    Any tips on how i could increase my FSB speed without getting a blue
    screen would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks

    brady.sondreal, Jan 19, 2007

  2. brady.sondreal

    Wes Newell Guest

    Lower the HT link multiplier from 5x to 4x or 3x. When you raise the
    system bus from 200 to 220, that raises the HT speed from 1000Mhz (5x200)
    to 1100MHz (5x220). It's only rated for 1000. If you want the bus over
    250, set it to 3x.

    Wes Newell, Jan 19, 2007

  3. brady.sondreal

    KE Guest

    Also check your RAM speed or RAM/FSB multiplier - you'll probably have
    to lower that as well. Depeding on the motherboard, even though you
    set a particular speed, that is only relative to a stock FSB.

    Kendt

    KE, Jan 19, 2007
  4. I lowered the LDT Bus Frequency from 5x to 3x, but wasn't able to get
    the FSB any higher.
    Is LDT Bus frequency the same thing as HT link multiplier?

    Kendt - My ram speed is running at 400Mhz. Should i lower that? Also,
    i'm unable to find a RAM/FSB multipler in my Abit AV8 Bios. Could it
    be labled with a different name?

    Thank you both.

    brady.sondreal, Jan 19, 2007
  5. brady.sondreal

    KE Guest

    On the first question - yes.

    Try setting the RAM to 333 or even 266Mhz - look at it this way - at a
    250FSB, your RAM is trying to run at 500Mhz DDR speed.

    KE, Jan 19, 2007
  6. I set my ram to 266MHZ.
    I'm now able to get the FSB up to 260, which is a huge improvement.
    I really appreciate your advice.

    You said that at a 250FSB, my RAM is trying to run at 500MHZ.
    How does changing the RAM speed in the BIOS make any difference if RAM
    speed is always FSB*2.

    Also, Is this a typical overclock where you have to reduce your Ram
    speed in order to increase FSB?

    brady.sondreal, Jan 19, 2007
  7. brady.sondreal

    Wes Newell Guest

    They don't make ram that runs that fast. You are concerned with the bus
    speed, which is 200MHz. Sounds like now even the MB naufacturers are using
    the data rates for bus speeds, and that's sure to screw everyone up. Set
    the bus clock to 166MHz. That's probably 333 on your board, Hard to tell
    anymore with all the bogus BS numbers they use these days.

    Wes Newell, Jan 19, 2007
  8. brady.sondreal

    Wes Newell Guest

    I'd laugh but it's really not funny. What you really did was set the ram
    bus speed to 133Mhz.
    No. No. No. At a 1:1 ratio, you ram and system bus clock are at the same
    speed, 250MHz. I'd like to strangle all the mfers that started putting MHz
    behind data rates.
    Yes. Sorry, I forgot to mention that. the ram bus clock increases with
    raising the FSB clock, so you lower the base ram clok and then it raises
    back up as you raise the FSB clock.

    Wes Newell, Jan 19, 2007
  9. brady.sondreal

    txtmstrjoe Guest

    This could also be a chipset limitation.

    I don't believe you mentioned your motherboard's complete model name,
    but you did mention it was an Abit AV8. This means your motherboard's
    chipset is VIA's K8T800, which really pales in comparison with
    nVidia's nForce4 variants in terms of overclocking performance.

    The chipset is one of those factors that almost never gets considered
    in an overclocking exercise.

    As an aside, I'd like to caution you: There's a very good chance that
    you may corrupt your WinXP installation if you haven't locked your PCI
    bus @ 33MHz. Make sure that you enable PCI bus lock in your BIOS.
    Failing to do so would most likely speed up your SATA and IDE channels
    as well, which will corrupt your boot sector.

    The same thing has happened to me, with VIA's more advanced K8T890
    chipset. I neglected to lock down the PCI bus, and it corrupted my
    father's WinXP installation.

    Hope this helps!

    txtmstrjoe, Jan 25, 2007