    but as soon as I booted I got the overheat warning. So I went back to
    the Cooler Master.
    Any suggestions?

    Harry Edwards, May 31, 2004

  2. From the looks of your pic, 1st thing i would do is replace the HSF.

    Another Anonymous, Jun 1, 2004

  3. Harry Edwards

    Ken Moore Guest

    If you are not over clocking you might try to adjust your vcore down a
    little. I had almost the same problem as you, and I found that first
    of all the reading in bios was higher than recommended vcore, so I set
    it down a liitle, and it has cooled down by a few degrees. That was
    several months ago, and so far no performance issues, system is stlll
    running good. You might also check the standard things, and be sure
    that you have thermal compound on your cpu and heat sink, and the the
    heat sink is seated well on the cpu.

    Ken Moore, Jun 1, 2004
  4. What is the HSF?

    I solved the problem. I was averaging about 78 degrees Centigrade. I
    wiped off the Radio Shack heat sink compound and used some Arctic
    Silver. Bam... my temperature is staying at 55C. Thats a 20 degree
    difference! My AMD system actually runs cooler than my Intel - which
    I found surprising. Actually, not... since the 2700+ runs at 2.1 and
    the Northwood runs at 2.8. I think I'll get a Athlon 3200+ now,.

    Harry Edwards, Jun 7, 2004