Overheating Problem - AS8 w/ Pentium 4

Discussion in 'Abit' started by k, Oct 27, 2004.

  1. k

    k Guest

    Help, my CPU is running hot. Just assembled an AS8 motherboard with a
    Pentium 4 530 LGA 775 (3.0GHZ) with Intel's included heatsink and fan.
    Initial Abit EQ readings after boot up were:

    CPU temp = 82c
    System Temp = 24c
    CPU Fan = 2460 RPM

    Heatsink feels slightly warm to the touch, but definitely not hot.
    The computer unexpectedly shutdown a few times when the temp ran into
    the upper 80's. (However, Win 2000 automatically began saving
    settings before it powered down, so I'm not sure if this was a result
    of overheating.)

    The CPU was idling at approx. 60c in idle Windows environment. The
    heatsink fasteners appear to be engaged correctly, but it's difficult
    to be sure since the board flexes so much as they're pushed in. After
    pushing some more and aligning heat sink screws perpendicular to the
    heat sink, the CPU temp now idles at approx 50c, about 63c immediately
    after bootup.

    My tower only has one fan, so I left the top off for the time being.

    How can I get the temperature down to normal? Also, Intel says that
    the pre-applied thermal interface material(TIM) on the heatsink must
    be replaced if the heatsink is removed? Will that be difficult
    considering how hot the processor's been running? Can Arctic Slver be
    used in conjunction with the TIM?

    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Also, any recommendations on a good tower for this setup?

    Thanks.

    System:
    Win2000 Pro(SP4)
    Bios(from POST): 4/8/2004 I865PE-w83627-6A79AA1MC-10
    ATI 9200SE 128MB AGP Card
    300W Seasonic Power Supply
    Tower has just one fan, but I've kept the top off and ambient temp
    seems ok, right?
    120GB Serial ATA MaxtorHD

    k, Oct 27, 2004

  2. k

    sp Guest

    u get a cpu temp of 82c?!?!??!? jeez! i get half that at full load on my P4
    northwood core running at 2.8GHz (not overclocked) If u have removed the
    heatsink you will have to replace it with a good quality TIM which is where
    arctic silver 5 comes in. I run it on mine without probs. You could invest
    in a new cpu cooler but i'm not sure what is available on the 775 socket.
    So change your TIM and look for a new cpu cooler, which is probably the best
    thing to do.

    hope this helps

    sp

    sp, Oct 27, 2004

  3. Did you check Task Manager to see if there were any processes loading up
    your CPU? If not, the first thing to check would be that the heatsink/fan
    assembly is correctly assembled/installed.
    You seem to think that means something. It doesn't. If anything, it would be
    better if the heatsink did feel hot, as that would at least mean that there
    was good heat transfer between CPU and sink. A heatsink that feels cold
    either means the fan is doing an efficient job of dissipating the heat, or
    it could mean it's incorrectly installed and there's no heat being
    transferred to it from the chip. It's impossible to tell which, which is
    why, as mentioned, a "cold" heatsink means nothing.
    If it's that hot, shutdowns should be far from unexpected. That's your BIOS
    attempting to prevent damage to the CPU. Don't carry on running it in this
    situation, try and get to the bottom of the problem.
    That's a bit more like it. Seems as though there is/was an installation
    issue then.
    Erm, don't mean to pee on your cake but 50 celsius idle temp is not abnormal
    for these CPU's. The Prescott core does run hot - much moreso than the
    Northwood.
    Depends what sort of thermal interface material it is. If it's the normal
    Intel phase change stuff it might be a little difficult, but at least the
    LGA775 design should help prevent damage to the CPU or socket that was
    possible with the Socket 478 setup. The easiest way to get it off would be
    to warm it up by running the system for a few minutes, immediately removing
    the pins and then gently twisting it to free it off.
    No. Once you've got the heatsink off, you must clean *all* the existing
    material off both the heatsink and the top of the processor before applying
    anything else.
    Erm, no, not without knowing roughly what sort of requirements you have for
    space, expandability, construction, price and so-on. Work out what you want
    then go find something that meets your needs.
    --

    Richard Hopkins
    Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

    Richard Hopkins, Oct 28, 2004