overheating suspected - intermittent sys crashes

Discussion in 'AMD Thunderbird' started by missmuffy33, Jul 31, 2003.

  1. missmuffy33

    missmuffy33 Guest

    very sorry for the long post... much obliged to anyone who reads this!

    i'm running an athlon thunderbird 900 on an abit kt7 board (with the latest
    bios update)... the system has been stable since i build it almost 3 years
    ago... until the past 6 weeks or so (note: 6 weeks ago marks the beginning
    of summer in the upstairs of my non-air-conditioned house)

    that's when i started experiencing intermittent system crashes/lockups... i
    suspected it to be hardware related because:

    1. it happened no matter what i was doing (various desktop apps, gaming, or
    even nothing at all)

    2. when the system locked up, it just FROZE... no blue screen, just a freeze
    frame on whatever was displayed at that moment... if any audio was playing,
    the audio would also skip like a broken record (note: the only exception to
    this is that after 10 seconds or so of "freeze-framing" i would regain
    control of the pc for about 2 seconds... then another freeze-frame... then 2
    seconds of normality, then the cycle-repeats - during gaming however, i ONLY
    get freeze-frames)

    being slow on the uptake the way i am, i left this for a while (6 weeks or
    so) and just dealt with it (the problem happened anywhere from 2-3 times a
    day to once a week only)

    i suspected it was my cpu overheating so i installed the VIA hardware
    monitor app to check the temp... it was running 60 C to 71 C which is MUCH
    hotter than it used to run when i first built the system (back then it never
    broke 50 C)

    so i upgraded the heatsink and fan, re-applied some thermal paste... and now
    it runs MUCH cooler... (44 C - 51 C)

    the only problem is... i still get the lockups from time to time... so

    1. i've ruined my cpu by letting it overheat and lockup so many times before
    2. there's something else happening... i don't know where to go from here

    again many thank you's to anyone reading and offering advice

    - kevin

    missmuffy33, Jul 31, 2003

  2. missmuffy33

    Doughnut Guest

    Hi,

    Well i dont think its a cpu problem, if it was broken it wouldnt work at all
    in my previous experience. It could be a number of things, like a PSU
    problem, my friends pc kept locking up and I changed the power supply and
    its ok now or it could be a driver related problem.
    Have you made sure the chipset fan still works? These can be prone to stop
    working and the chipset will overheat.

    I hope this helps in someway.
    Doughnut

    Doughnut, Jul 31, 2003

  3. missmuffy33

    Doughnut Guest

    Hi,

    I personally dont know a way to trouble shoot a psu, but if you think its
    worth considering then new ones arnt very expensive, I use an ernemax psu
    but my brother uses a 550w Q-Tec which cost him about £25 and he has no
    trouble running 3 hard drives 2x cdroms and lights and fans in his case.
    Let us know how you get on and others may post in this thread which could
    also help discover why you have this problem.

    doughnut

    Doughnut, Jul 31, 2003
  4. missmuffy33

    S.Heenan Guest

    (Originally posted by ric in alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt June 28,2003)

    To test an ATX PSU:

    First, disconnect everything from the power supply (including MB.) Plug
    AC cord into the rear of the PS. IF the PS has its own rocker on/off
    switch, turn it ON. There should be +5v on pin 9 of the 20 pin connector
    (+5vsb, usually a violet wire.) There should be >0.8v on pin 14 (PS-ON,
    usually a green wire.) This is from an internal pull-up to the +5vsb.

    Connect PS power leads to 1 or 2 IDE HDs (for a load). Jumper pin 14
    (PS-ON) to pin 13 (ground, black wire.) At this point, fan in PS should
    start spinning, drives should spin, and + 5/12v, -5/12v, +3.3v, and
    +5vsb should be present at 20 pin connector.

    Disconnecting pin 14-13 jumper should turn supply back off.

    Further, if the PSU starts:

    When your system fails to start, what is the voltage on pin 9? If it is
    less than 4.75v, either a) the logic on your motherboard is shorting
    b) your +5vsb is under powered, or c) your PS is bad. It is
    most likely a combination of b) and c).

    If your +5vsb is OK, measure pin 14 of the PS/MB connector. If it is <0.8v
    (and the +5vsb is OK), the power supply should be on. If pin 14 is <0.8v,
    the +5vsb is OK, and the PS is OFF, the PS is bad. If pin 14 is >2.0v, the
    power supply is being told to stay OFF by the MB. If depressing the front
    panel ON/OFF switch does NOT lower pin 14 to <0.8v (and the +5vsb is OK),
    then the problem is NOT the power supply, but rather MB related.

    S.Heenan, Jul 31, 2003
  5. missmuffy33

    J.Clarke Guest

    It's possible that the video chip or the north or south bridge chip on
    the motherboard or one or more voltage regulators or the disk is also
    not getting adequate cooling.

    There's also the possibility that it picked up a virus.

    J.Clarke, Jul 31, 2003
  6. There are so many variables for troubleshooting this type of problem. I'd
    say before you tear your system apart trying to find a defective part, why
    not put your system in an air-conditioned environment and see if the
    problems persist. If not, you'll know that heat is a problem. With newer
    systems running hotter all the time, the problem you're describing is almost
    reaching epidemic proportions. The lower the operating temperature for heat
    sensitive system components, the more stable a system will run ( provided,
    you don't have a devective part or buggy software ).

    The TweakOholic, Jul 31, 2003
  7. I don't think you have an overheating problem. ~50deg C is about what I get
    with my old Athlon Thunderbird operating under maximum effort, and this is
    in a god-awful (for heat dispersion) Compaq minitower. Just out of
    curiosity: Do you run more than one fan in your case? (Probably already
    answered somewhere, but...) And does your motherboard throttle fan speeds at
    all?

    Sounds like a non-processor problem. Could be your GPU is overheating. (rare
    but happens.) What kind of card do you have?

    Whitesell \(Verizon\), Aug 2, 2003
  8. missmuffy33

    missmuffy33 Guest

    yes i run 2 exhaust fans and one intake fan in my antec full tower case
    (plus of course the fan on the cpu heatsink and the one onboard the mobo)

    honestly couldn't tell you if my mobo throttles fan speeds... it's an abit
    kt7... i'll do some research on it and see what i find

    here's my gpu story... had a matrox g450 dualhead... swapped it for a PCI
    geforce 2 mx from a buddy since my matrox wouldn't play many games... THAT'S
    when i started having this problem... but that's also when SUMMER started
    (hence my overheating analysis)

    i ran that pci card for less than a month and bought an AGP geforce fx
    5200... the problem SEEMED to have subsided for a while... but now it
    happens consistently while gaming, and somewhat rarely during normal windows
    operation (btw i use my pc approx. 10 hours a day between work and gaming,
    etc.)

    again many thanks...

    - kevin

    missmuffy33, Aug 2, 2003
  9. missmuffy33

    kevin tass Guest

    hi,
    i read online that when it locks up press num lock on the keyboard. if the
    lights go on (or off) it is a software problem. if there is no activity
    (lights) on the keyboard then its a hardware issue.

    kev

    kevin tass, Aug 3, 2003
  10. missmuffy33

    kevin tass Guest

    kevin tass, Aug 4, 2003
  11. missmuffy33

    kevin tass Guest

    kevin tass, Aug 4, 2003
  12. missmuffy33

    missmuffy33 Guest

    odd, i never got Whitesell (Verizon) 's post then Ben Pope replied to on
    8/6/2003. I am wondering, are there other posts i haven't received?

    counting my posts, and THIS one, my newsreader shows me 17 posts total...
    just wondering how many others are getting

    also... "exorcism" ? you mean re-install windows right?

    missmuffy33, Aug 6, 2003
  13. missmuffy33

    rstlne Guest

    Great post..
    Shame that his problem seems to be only when the s ystem is under load and
    not just a "is it this" heh
    but
    still a post to save as it's well written ;)

    rstlne, Aug 14, 2003
  14. missmuffy33

    rstlne Guest

    the reason i suspect overheating is that the lockups happen the MOST
    during

    Just take the side of the case off, turn it on it's side (so the open side
    of case turns up) or, put a fan blowing into the dcase
    and then test it..
    having a fan (box fan or whatever) blowing into the case will soon tell you
    if it's heat related...

    rstlne, Aug 14, 2003
  15. missmuffy33

    Buffalo Guest

    On my ECS K7S5a MB, I would get lockups in gaming when I used the second
    SDram stick. With only the one stick, the lockups stopped.
    Just mentioning this because ram can cause many different problems.

    Buffalo, Sep 3, 2003