    Ethernet, RS232 and other, Modems, Cards, Ports (Serial, Parallel,
    etc).

    Thanks in advance,

    Alex Vinokur, Sep 24, 2005

  2. Using your requested topics for feeding google "real-time embedded links"
    http://www.google.com/search?q=real-time+embedded+links

    results in a lot of useful hyperlinks with link collections
    One of my favorites : http://www.eg3.com/

    --

    Heinz
    +===================================================================

    Merokok dapat menyebabkan kanker, serangan jantung,
    impotensi dan gangguan kehamilan dan janin.

    =?ISO-8859-15?Q?Heinz=2DJ=FCrgen?= Oertel, Sep 24, 2005

  3. Alex Vinokur

    Alex Vinokur Guest

    Heinz-Jürgen Oertel wrote:
    [snip]
    Thanks.
    But what I need is to find some specific material: *principles* of
    real-time embedded systems for *non-embedded developers* to get
    starting.
    [snip]

    Alex Vinokur
    http://sourceforge.net/users/alexvn

    Alex Vinokur, Sep 24, 2005

  4. No idea what the difference is. But anyway, if you want to get experienced
    with this topics, you should read all what you can get.

    Heinz
    +===================================================================

    =?ISO-8859-15?Q?Heinz=2DJ=FCrgen?= Oertel, Sep 24, 2005
  5. Alex Vinokur

    Jack Klein Guest

    I think you are asking the wrong question. You are confusing two
    different concepts, although they do often occur in the same systems.

    There are embedded systems, and there are real-time systems, with
    varying degrees of real-time "hardness". You can certainly have
    either without the other although, as I said above, many embedded
    systems also have hard real-time requirements.
    Now you have added a third topic, one that is not necessarily related
    to either of the other two. You are talking about hardware devices
    that require some sort of specific software, commonly called device
    drivers, to control.

    Hardware devices and drivers exist in all computer systems, whether or
    not they are embedded and/or have real-time requirements. Just for
    example, every single operating system that you can run on a 32-bit
    x86 PC, which includes MS-DOS, any version of Windows, Linux, BSD,
    Solaris, QNX, VxWorks, and the upcoming Mac OSX for x86, have to
    provide device drivers for the keyboard, mouse, hard disks, floppy
    disks, CD and DVD drives, MODEMs, real time clock, system timer,
    interrupt controller, DMA controller, serial and parallel ports, and
    more.

    A few of these operating systems, particularly Solaris, QNX, and
    VxWorks, have specific properties to allow hard real-time requirements
    to be met. Most of the others do not. Yes each one of those systems
    needs device drivers for each of the hardware devices I mentioned
    above, and the driver for each device is different for each OS.
    As others have said, the topics of "embedded systems", "real-time
    systems", and "device drivers" are very broad. I'd suggest that you
    might do well to start by picking one of those topics to start
    investigating.

    --
    Jack Klein
    Home: http://JK-Technology.Com

    Jack Klein, Sep 24, 2005
  6. Alex Vinokur

    Alex Vinokur Guest

    Thank you very much. Your (conceptual) answer was very useful.

    Alex Vinokur, Sep 25, 2005
  7. Alex Vinokur

    Richard H. Guest

    Articles at http://www.embedded.com

    Richard

    Richard H., Sep 27, 2005
  8. Alex Vinokur

    Peter Kozich Guest

    Starting out from http://www.eg3.com/ I found this:
    http://people.mech.kuleuven.be/~bruyninc/rthowto/
    Perhaps you could use it.

    rgds
    Peter

    Peter Kozich, Oct 1, 2005
  9. Alex Vinokur

    ajai.jose Guest

    Hi Folks,
    was reading the archives for just this kind of information ( the
    non-embedded developer getting into embedded space [and real time this
    time]).
    I am a Mechanical Engineer into programming (C programming for
    networking device) for quite some time now. I have recently been
    assigned to a project which requires *Embedded Knowledge* according to
    the Lead.
    Can any one tell me the nuances of Embedded Device Progg vs. Embedded
    Application Progg.
    I have read the device specifications and have understood the memory
    map.
    Any other pointers will be greatful.

    Regards,
    _Ajai.Jose_

    ajai.jose, Oct 5, 2005
  10. I think embedded systems is very vast domain.
    You first identoify in which area you want to work..like embedded
    application programming,
    firmware development, embedded middleware development, driver
    development etc...
    You can refer following few books :

    Embedded Systems Building blocks by Jean Labrosse
    The art of embedded system design by jack ganssle
    The firmware handbook by jack ganssle
    visit few sites like
    embedded.com
    http://www.ganssle.com/

    Sagar Borikar, Oct 18, 2005
  11. Alex Vinokur

    PeteS Guest

    As others have noted, the term 'embedded systems' covers a really wide
    range of activities, which may or may not have a processor (in that
    wider sense, an embedded system has embedded functionality of some
    description, which may have been achieved in pure hardware).

    If you are speaking of embedded controllers, then embedded.com has some
    good articles (although there's a lot of ads).

    Cheers

    PeteS

    PeteS, Oct 19, 2005