    I have a P2B with a slow, finicky hard drive. I would like to replace it
    with a a new 7200rpm 80G drive. Does the p2b support this speed?
    Thanks.

    helen rando, Dec 14, 2003

  2. Hi;

    Yes you can use a 7200 rpm HD on your
    P2B.but you can't take advantage of the
    ATA 100 transfer rate on that Board.

    Arnold

    --

    Arnold Mervielde, Dec 14, 2003

  3. And what exactly does the rotation frequency of a hard drive have to do
    with the mo/bo...? Sure you can, and I'd recommend dropping in an
    additional PCI UDMA100 controller for a new drive. This way, the
    capacity limit will depend entirely on the controller or rather its BIOS
    (the Promise Ultra100 TX2, for example, ships with an old BIOS that
    supports hard drives of up to 128 GiB, but with the latest one and
    current drivers from the Promise website it'll take larger ones too),
    and you'll get rid of the UDMA33 bottleneck. As to the hard drive
    itself, the current Samsungs aren't bad - quiet, not too warm, and
    rather speedy as well. Seagates and HGSTs are quite good, too. What I'd
    rather not buy ATM is Maxtor and WD drives.

    Stephan

    Stephan Grossklass, Dec 14, 2003
  4. helen rando

    Ben Pope Guest

    Why?

    Ben

    Ben Pope, Dec 14, 2003
  5. Maxtor: Well, the DM+9 has a bit too high a failure rate for my taste,
    and WD apparently isn't able to get the bearings quite right - even the
    new FDB equipped models are supposedly still whining noticeably (less
    than the BB models, but still more than with what the competition has to
    offer).

    Stephan

    Stephan Grossklass, Dec 14, 2003
  6. helen rando

    DaveW Guest

    The P2B does not support harddrives anywhere near that large. BIOS is too
    old.

    DaveW, Dec 15, 2003
  7. Nonsense, please see
    "http://www.asuscom.de/support/FAQ/faq076_32gb_ide_hdd.htm"
    All the ASUS P3 and P2 with the last available BIOS support up to 128
    GB HDDs. You need to use the latest BIOS even if beta.
    HTH
    Armin

    Armin Pfeffer, Dec 15, 2003
  8. PS: The 74 gig WD Raptor is another matter entirely - but that isn't a
    7200 rpm drive.

    Stephan

    Stephan Grossklass, Dec 15, 2003
  9. Im very happy with my Diamondmax but dont like to hear of this failure
    rate. Its only hearsay Ive found though. If anyone knows of hard~ish info
    on the apperent phenomenon that would be useful.
    For performance, quiteness, price and availablity Id recommend them, but
    its true that the web reports of failures put some doubt in me.

    Creeping Stone, Dec 15, 2003
  10. helen rando

    Dave Guest

    My Maxtor 40g 7200 has been running strong and daily (almost 24/7) for
    almost exactly four years along with my P2B!
    Not sure how long it is supposed to last, so I try to keep a new replacement
    handy since they seem to be so inexpensive lately.

    later,
    dave

    Dave, Dec 18, 2003