    matching steppings for these two slockets in this board.

    Has anybody successfully done this?

    thanks

    nobody, Nov 3, 2003

  2. nobody

    P2B Guest

    Yes, that configuration should POST no problem, but:

    - The PCI bus will be overclocked to 44.33Mhz which may be problematic
    for your PCI devices, and in particular the IDE controller. I recommend
    backing up any IDE drives you may have first as there is a risk of
    corruption.

    - The AGP bus will be overclocked to 89Mhz, but many video cards will
    tolerate this, in particular those with nVidia chipsets.

    - You may not be able to run as much RAM as you'd like. 512MB usually
    works fine at 133Mhz FSB, 768MB is often possible, especially if you use
    Micron memory, but 1GB is rather elusive at 133 on these boards.

    The PCI overclock issue can be resolved by adding a 4th FSB jumper to
    the board to enable the 133Mhz FSB/33.3Mhz PCI setting supported by the
    clock chip but not implemented by Asus.

    The only solution to video issues due to the AGP overclock is to use a
    card which tolerates 89Mhz.

    RAM capacity at 133Mhz is usually improved by increasing Vio from the
    default 3.2v to 3.4v - this requires a board modification. I have two
    systems running 1GB RAM at 133Mhz with this modification, but it
    required selecting amoung identically marked Micron RAM modules, and I
    have to enter and exit the BIOS on every boot to have all the RAM
    recognised. I don't know why this BIOS trick works, and it doesn't work
    on all boards.

    My P2B modification site describes the 4th FSB jumper and Vio
    modifications in detail:

    http://tipperlinne.com/p2bmod

    HTH

    P2B

    P2B, Nov 4, 2003

  3. nobody

    nobody Guest

    Thank you for all this! Just what I needed to hear. I am want to use a
    ATI All in Wonder 7500 ..... you wouldn't happen to know if this card
    will tolerate 89Mhz ?

    Great site! What does it cost, or how does it work, to have you make
    the conversion to the board and or slockets so they support P3 1.4-S ?

    thanks

    nobody, Nov 4, 2003
  4. nobody

    P2B Guest

    I'm afraid not, perhaps someone will chime in...

    I've had poor results with older ATI cards, but no experience with newer
    models. I'm using GeForce2 & 4 based cards these days because they'll
    run on a 100Mhz AGP bus without problems.
    I usually do board modifications on an exchange basis - customer pays my
    labour charge, plus a deposit. I ship a modified & tested board and
    refund the deposit on receipt of customer's original board. I usually
    supply Slot-T adapters at my cost plus labour for the modification, but
    will also exchange if the customer already has them. I don't modify
    S370-DL adapters for customers as it's very difficult and time
    consuming, and they are rare so can usually be sold at a price that pays
    for modified Slot-Ts.

    While my labour charges are very reasonable IMHO, total cost to the
    customer can escalate rapidly due to shipping costs x 2. Most of my
    clients are P2B-DS owners who have a significant investment in SCSI
    peripherals and can justify the upgrade cost vs. purchasing a new
    motherboard, cpu(s), ram, and SCSI adapter - plus the time spent getting
    the hardware and software to play nicely together.

    Please contact me directly (email is valid) if you'd like more details,
    include your location so I can estimate shipping costs.

    P2B

    P2B, Nov 5, 2003
  5. nobody

    nobody Guest

    I have posted in ATI groups, and I have been advised that I will have
    no problems with the cards I have at 89Mhz. But I am concerned about
    the PCI Bus. I will be running an Adaptec 2906 and a Promise
    Ultra100TX2 so I could have all sorts of problems drive problems.

    It is either the mod or a 100Mhz processors. Unfortunately, that
    probably means a slot 1 1Ghz, which are at a crazy price or a 370 800
    which are readily available.

    I see that Intel actually made a 370 PIII 1Ghz that ran at 100 FSB.
    http://processorfinder.intel.com/sc...ocFam=25&PkgType=ALL&SysBusSpd=ALL&CorSpd=ALL
    but I find no where to I can buy one. Are these just no longer
    available except for maybe Ebay?

    thanks

    nobody, Nov 5, 2003
  6. nobody

    P2B Guest

    SCSI controllers are well known for overclock intolerance, especially
    Adaptecs - I can pretty much guarantee the 2906 won't work. I have no
    direct experience with Promise controllers.
    I upgraded from Slot-1 1Ghz, and sold the old processors on eBay for
    more than enough to cover a pair of P3-S 1.4s and Slot-Ts. Crazy price
    is right!

    You might get away with running 800s at 900 (112Mhz FSB) as that only
    overclocks the PCI bus to 37.3Mhz.
    The fastest PIII with a 100Mhz FSB was 1.1Ghz (SL5QW), but they are even
    harder to find. eBay or a liquidator is your best bet as Coppermine
    processors are no longer available at retail.

    When considering your options, note that the overall performance
    difference between Coppermines at 1Ghz/100Mhz and Tualatins at
    1.4Ghz/133Mhz is significantly greater than the increase in processor
    clock speed might suggest. The bottleneck is SDRAM performance -
    increasing FSB by 33% and doubling processor L2 cache really helps.

    P2B

    P2B, Nov 6, 2003
  7. nobody

    nobody Guest

    Well I will probably go with the 800s and leave it at that, but I
    will give it some thought. I have a dual Xeon 2ghz setup where I think
    I would probably be better off putting the money toward a couple of
    3hz processors rather then speding so much on P3 technology.

    You're right about the difference between the 1GHz Coppermine, and the
    1.4 Tularian. I have a BX 6 Rev2 and I just did a Powerleap upgrade
    from a 1.1 Ghz Celeron to a 1.4 Tularian. The difference, benchmarked
    at 30 percent, which was far more then I was expecting.

    A friend bought a couple of the Powerleap P3 1.4 -S processors for his
    P2B-D, and he realized over a 40 percent increase in performance,
    which was pretty impressive.

    thanks again and I will give your mods a lot of thought

[...]

    [/QUOTE]

    nobody, Nov 6, 2003
  8. nobody

    P2B Guest

    I hear you loud and clear - my next system will have at least two Xeons.
    I'm hoping to buy it used at a reasonable price, so the dual P3-S 1.4
    will have to last another year or three.
    Interesting. Is the new processor a P3-S or Celeron? What's the FSB?
    Powerleap P3-S 1.4 upgrades don't make any sense for P2B-D or P2B-DS
    boards, because you can't run them at 1.4Ghz unless you have a rev 1.06
    D03 board - but if you have a rev 1.06 D03 board you don't need
    Powerleap's onboard CPU voltage regulator, and the PCI bus will still be
    overclocked to 44.33Mhz!

    My modifications make rev 1.06 D03 boards fully Tualatin compatible, fix
    the PCI overclock, and are much cheaper than Powerleap (even after
    shipping costs). Your friend's system is equivalent to a standard P2D-D
    with modified Slot-T adapters, but it cost a lot more. He must have
    overclock-tolerant PCI devices...

    P2B
    [/QUOTE]

    P2B, Nov 6, 2003
  9. nobody

    nobody Guest

    Mine was a Celeron 1.4 Ghz Tularian at 100 FSB.. I ordered the slocket
    direct without a processor for $59 and I got their low profile heat
    sink and fan, which is really a PC Power and Cooling Heat sink and fan
    for 10 bucks, which is 9 dollars cheaper then PCP&C charges.

    .. I picked up the Cel 1.4 for 42 dollars delivered so the whole
    upgrade was around $120.00. Very easy...Just plug it in and go. Well
    worth it if you have a really good board you want to keep. A 30
    percent boost is noticeable and worth doing.
    True it is very expensive for Powerleap dual. I think he paid around
    850. I wouldn't of done it. But he didn't have a 106 D03 board, we
    didn't know about your site, and powerleap is very easy.

    He liked his system and didn't want to go through a whole upgrade.
    Also he is using a Intel NIC and Adaptec Ultra controllers which are
    tolerant of the 47 Mhz PCI Bus
    Good to know, But it looks like my 106 D03 is bad. I just bench tested
    it and I have problems. I posted under
    Subject: : P2B-D POST problems
    What do you think. Is this board toast?

    thanks