    or is something else required?

    Any suggestions very welcome.

    -Peter

    peter z, Oct 10, 2005

  2. BIOS limits don't affect USB devices as the BIOS essentially knows
    nothing of them. It should work fine.

    Robert Hancock, Oct 10, 2005

  3. peter z

    DaveW Guest

    No, it will not work. The updated BIOS on the P2B's motherboard is what
    limits you to 137 GB. The USB 2.0 is irrelevant to the mazimum capacity
    that your motherboard can recognize.

    DaveW, Oct 11, 2005
  4. This is not correct. The BIOS has absolutely nothing to do with USB
    drive support in Windows. That limit applies only to IDE drives on the
    onboard controller.

    Robert Hancock, Oct 11, 2005
  5. peter z

    Juergen Keil Guest

    Double check that the USB<->IDE adapter (in the external usb disk
    enclosure) supports HDDs >137GB. Apparently some *old* adapters
    didn't support the LBA48 feature so they are limited to HDDs <137GB.

    But current USB<->IDE chipsets don't have that limit any more.

    Juergen Keil, Oct 11, 2005
  6. Yes, it only matters what the ide controller in the external enclosure
    supports - should be more than 137GB with current designs.
    However, what noone yet mentioned, some USB 2.0 (and firewire too btw)
    adapters have a compatibility problem with the bx chipset. At least it
    was a problem in the past, don't know if the cards you can buy today
    still have problems...

    Roland

    Roland Scheidegger, Oct 11, 2005
  7. peter z

    peter z Guest

    Thanks for the replies everyone. I'll check with the local suppliers to make
    sure the USB2 adapter I get will work with the P2B.

    -Peter

    peter z, Oct 12, 2005