    is there anybody out there ? ;p

    Thanks
    Matt~

    Matt, Jun 23, 2003

  2. Matt

    Alan Beagley Guest

    Use Google to look at old discussions of this issue, but I *think* that
    ver. 1.02 boards are incapable of supplying the required voltage.

    -=-
    Alan

    Alan Beagley, Jun 23, 2003

  3. Matt

    BigJIm Guest

    some of the boards will work some will not. BTW is it a slot one or a socket
    370 with and adapter. For the slot 1 it is dependent on the voltage
    regulator chip. Socket 370 requires an adapter that has adjustable voltage
    settings. If you have that set the voltage to 1.8

    BigJIm, Jun 23, 2003
  4. Matt

    Paul Guest

    This page has some revision information. I think it says the board has
    to be revision 1.12 or later, to give a voltage less than 1.8 volts.

    http://homepage.hispeed.ch/rscheidegger/p2b_procupgrade_faq.html

    To make this work, you have to change the VID code. I modified a slocket
    to do this. In your case, you need to change the VID1 signal from a
    logic 1 to a logic 0. So, grounding the VID1 signal would tell the
    voltage regulator on the motherboard to supply 1.8 volts, instead of
    the 1.7 volts the module is asking for. (VID codes are open collector
    logic, with pullup resistors on the motherboard making the logic 1,
    and the processor shorts the signal to ground to make a logic 0.
    So, where there is a VID code of 1, the processor is basically
    not connected to that VID signal.)

    VID4 VID3 VID2 VID1 VID0 Vcore_voltage
    0 0 1 1 1 1.70
    0 0 1 0 1 1.80

    To understand what is happening, here are the datasheets for an old
    and new voltage regulator (this was used on my motherboard).

    http://www.intersil.com/data/FN/FN4/FN4417/FN4417.pdf (HIP6004A)
    http://www.intersil.com/data/FN/FN4/FN4567/FN4567.pdf (HIP6004B)

    On the 6004A regulator, when asked for 1.7 volts, it outputs 0.0 volts
    and so the computer won't post. The lowest valid voltage setting on the
    6004A is 1.8 volts, so that is why the VID code must be changed to
    accomodate the missing settings.

    [ Changing a 1.7 or 1.75 volt Coppermine processor to 1.8 volts is
    safe, but doing this to a Tualatin is not recommended, as a Tualatin
    is a 1.5 volt processor with a maximum Vcore allowed of 1.75 volts. ]

    So, now all you need to find, is instructions for the best way to
    implement the modification :)

    HTH,
    Paul

    Paul, Jun 23, 2003
  5. Matt

    P2B Guest

    P2B rev 1.02 definitely cannot go below 1.8v. The voltage regulator shut
    down when your new CPU asked for 1.7v. There is no possibility the CPU
    was damaged as a result.

    It is quite easy and safe to run that CPU at 1.8v on your board - you
    just need to put a small U-shaped wire in the Slot-1 connector to change
    the voltage request to 1.8v. Details and pictures here:

    http://tipperlinne.com/p2b-ds

    P2B, Jun 24, 2003
  6. Matt

    koop Guest

    P.S. Check out PowerLeap

    http://www.powerleap.com

    1GHz Slot 1 upgrade $100, up to 1.4GHz Tualatins because they run off
    external power and contain their own voltage regulators.

    koop, Jun 24, 2003
  7. Matt

    P2B Guest

    No it doesn't. There is no voltage regulator on the slotket. Setting the
    jumpers to 1.8v simply tells the motherboard to supply 1.8v to the CPU.

    The minimum voltage on
    No. The BIOS has nothing to do with it. When you set the jumpers to
    1.8v, the CPU appears to be requesting a voltage the motherboard can
    supply, so it does. If the CPU appears to be requesting a voltage lower
    than the motherboard can supply, the voltage regulator shuts down. The
    BIOS continues booting if it detects a CPU - which will only happen if
    the voltage regulator is supplying power to the CPU.

    IIRC I

    P2B, Jun 24, 2003
  8. Matt

    kmchow Guest

    It should work with Bios 1012. But if you're unsure, download the latest
    beta bios 1014 rev 3 from www.asus.de

    kmchow, Jun 24, 2003
  9. Matt

    koop Guest

    Well thanks for clearing that up on the voltage regulator, you are entirely
    correct. But obviously the BIOS does have something to do with it since
    Matt's won't boot and as you say "The BIOS continues booting if it detects a
    CPU - which will only happen if the voltage regulator is supplying power to
    the CPU".

    Koop

    koop, Jun 24, 2003
  10. Matt

    Robert3984 Guest

    The P2B in any form (unless changing the onboard regulator) can't regulate down
    to 1.8 volts or lower, even with a Slotkit--the system will not boot.
    If you get a slotkit with a voltage regulator on it like the PowerLeap it will
    work with the Tualatin cpu.
    I am running a PowerLeap adaptor with a Tualatin 1.1.

    Robert

    Robert3984, Jun 24, 2003
  11. Matt

    Ron Guest

    Come on, guys. He has a slot 1 processor. It isn't going to boot in
    this board unless he uses the wire in the slot idea above. This board
    cannot provide 1.7 volts as it was built.

    Ron, Jun 25, 2003
  12. Matt

    GR Guest

    My older P2BLS had this issue; a Powerleap adapter supplied the needed
    voltage and got me from P2-450 to P3-850
    gr

    GR, Jun 25, 2003
  13. Matt

    joe Guest

    nah. that motherboard simply doesn't apply any voltage if it can't
    supply the VID voltage the slot one wants.

    I've got a p2b rev 1.02 too. I'm running a flip chip (FCPGA) P3 on a
    simple slot one adapter card. No voltage regulator on the adapter
    card, but it does have jumper pins to reassign the VID signal so as to
    fool the motherboard about what voltage to supply to Intel's CPU.

    The P2b rev 1.02 can run P3 coppermines (256 cache) by setting the cpu
    voltage to 1.8 volts. I've been running for years now, it won't harm
    anything.

    You're problem is you've got a slot one P3 coppermine. There's no
    jumpers for you to set the VID signal to 1.8 volts. You can use the
    slot one cpu, but you would have to do a Mod to your current P3 VID
    lines. It's not as hard as you might imagine if you know how to
    solder, but if you're not a technician type, I wouldn't recommend it.

    You can actually change the voltage regulator chip on the motherboard
    to the newer rev level version and run a slot one, but it's a lot more
    trouble than modifying your cpu VID lines. Again, it's for tech
    hobbyists.

    Bottom line, people with slot one cpu's and rev 1.02 usually sell the
    slot one to someone else and pick up a flip chip P3. Today you can
    use the tualatin P3 and celerons with the powerleap adapter cards. A
    bit expensive for my taste. You can still find something like the P3
    850 /256/100 flip chips out there relatively cheap.

    I wouldn't toss the P2b, it's a very good motherboard, and I'd put in
    a "cheap" P3 and run linux on it forever if nothing else.

    I'm running windows2000 on mine with a 200 Gig WD hard drive off a
    Promise controller card. I'm running a P3 overclocked at 133 FSB and
    89mhz AGP buss. Just to give you some encouragement that the rev 1.02
    can run very reliably with coppermines and 133 FSB. Note that you
    need good pc133 memory and a video card that will handle the 89mhz AGP
    bus speed if you want to run 133.

    A good trick is to buy the 1Gig FCPGA P3 coppermine that runs at
    133mhz FSB. If you have logistics problems running at 133, set your
    jumpers for 100mhz operation. The 1Gig will run at 750mhz / 100mhz
    FSB.

    Another way to go is the 128k cache "coppermine" celerons at 1gig or
    1.1 gig. These run 100mhz FSB. The problem is finding them these
    days.

    Whatever, update your bios to the the latest and greatest.

    Good luck.

    joe, Jun 25, 2003
  14. Matt

    P2B Guest

    It's a lot easier than you imagine - no soldering required:

    http://tipperlinne.com/p2b-ds.htm

    P2B, Jun 26, 2003
  15. Matt

    P2B Guest

    Thanks :)
    It sure does! That's my old system before I upgraded again... check this:

    http://tipperlinne.com/p2bmod

    Dual 1.5Ghz with 512KB cache and 150Mhz FSB really rocks ;-)

    P2B, Jun 27, 2003