    256M DIMM is a legitimate option, can someone tell me a part number or
    something from Crucial/Kingston/etc.?

    TIA

    jeff, Feb 22, 2004

  2. You can use 256s, but they must be low density. Order from Crucial - memory
    for a Dell OptiPlex GX1 (non-ECC is fine) will work just fine).

    Edward J. Neth, Feb 23, 2004

  3. jeff

    jeff Guest

    Thanks Ed.

    Another follow-up question - When I look up Dell Optiplex GX-1, I see that I
    can get either:

    Crucial Part Number: CT186753
    256MB PC100 • CL=2 • Unbuffered • Non-parity • 8ns • 3.3V • 32Meg x 64
    or

    Crucial Part Number: CT209822
    256MB PC133 • CL=2 • Unbuffered • Non-parity • 7.5ns • 3.3V • 32Meg x 64

    I think what I currently have is two sticks of 128MB PC100 cl=2 nonparity.
    Can I use the pc133, or should I stick with the pc100? I ask because the
    price differential is about $27 ( $120 for pc100 vs $93 for pc133 ). I
    always assumed that "quality" ram would drop back to pc100 if the support
    wasn't there for pc133. and that "cheap" ram may not have that ability.

    All things considered, I guess it's not really that much money, but if I
    can save $27....

    Thanks!
    jeff

    jeff, Feb 23, 2004
  4. May as well get the PC133 - it'll work just fine.

    Edward J. Neth, Feb 23, 2004
  5. jeff

    Ken Guest

    Jeff, I ordered part no. CT190031 for my G6-400 and it worked just fine.
    If in doubt you can e-mail Crucial and you'll get a prompt reply. Just ask
    if that part No. has 16 low density modules and they'll let you know. Wow!
    The price of that stuff has really gone up. Better order quick.

    Ken, Feb 23, 2004
  6. jeff

    jeff Guest

    Thanks for the info, Ken! Yeah, it has gone up - I guess because the demand
    has dropped, so now it's more of a specialty than a mainstream item.

    jeff, Feb 23, 2004
  7. jeff

    Jerry Guest

    Would this also work for a Performance 500 as well?

    Jerry, Mar 2, 2004