    I realize that I can simply ignore the warning message and that the
    system will work without the patches, but ideally I would like to
    patch the bios and be done with it.

    DIS Towncrier, May 14, 2007

  2. DIS Towncrier

    Paul Guest

    You don't have to flash upgrade the BIOS. There is a procedure
    based on CTMC from Heise magazine. That is what I used to
    fix the microcode on my P2B-S that had a Tualatin fitted to
    it (using a slocket). (The file CTMC.ENG is English text.)

    ftp://ftp.heise.de/pub/ct/ctsi/ctmc10.zip

    Basically you use CTMC to extract a 2KB microcode from a
    BIOS known to carry the proper microcode. Then use CTMC to
    store the 2KB microcode in the microcode cache in the
    Award BIOS.

    The microcode cache will remain valid, as long as you
    don't unplug the processor and put a different processor
    in place. If you swap processors a lot, you'd have to
    repeat the CTMC procedure to refill the microcode cache
    when the Tualatin is put back.

    Since there is no flashing operation (i.e. flashing the
    whole BIOS), there is relatively little danger of something
    bad happening.

    Paul

    Paul, May 15, 2007

  3. Thanks for the reply, Paul. I will give this a try as soon as I get a
    chance. I appreciate your help.

    John

    DIS Towncrier, May 16, 2007
  4. DIS Towncrier