    do this? Or is it a nono? No big deal as I can upgrade the mobo but dont
    want to blow anything up by trying the combination.

    All any help appreciated!

    KingKong, Apr 8, 2004

  2. KingKong

    Courseyauto Guest

    as a newbie I would like to know if this P4 processor will run on my MSI
    845pe max2 6704 mobo? The MSI site says not supported but is there a way to
    do this? Or is it a nono? No big deal as I can upgrade the mobo but dont
    want to blow anything up by trying the combination.

    All any help appreciated!

    <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

    I tried a 800FSB cpu on my Gigabyte 533 board and it did not work.
    Well it worked but did not run at correct speed even if i set FSB to 200.
    DOUG

    Courseyauto, Apr 8, 2004

  3. KingKong

    GBH Guest

    thanks for that. Just didnt want to kill either the mobo or processor by
    trying it just to see.. I realise it wouldnt run 2.8 whatever.....

    Geoff

    GBH, Apr 8, 2004
  4. KingKong

    ElJerid Guest

    If I' m not wrong, you should have set the FSB to 133MHz with a 533 (4 x
    133) mobo ! The cpu is then underclocked, but must work.

    ElJerid, Apr 9, 2004
  5. KingKong

    Courseyauto Guest

    If I' m not wrong, you should have set the FSB to 133MHz with a 533 (4 x
    133) mobo ! The cpu is then underclocked, but must work.

    Exactly

    Courseyauto, Apr 9, 2004
  6. KingKong

    GBH Guest

    Thanks for the comments. It will work but will be underclocked, which is a
    waste. I have decided to sell the MSI Mobo and
    buy an 800fsb capable one instead...

    Beginners fun this ...

    Geoff

    GBH, Apr 9, 2004
  7. KingKong

    Courseyauto Guest

    Thanks for the comments. It will work but will be underclocked, which is a
    waste. I have decided to sell the MSI Mobo and
    buy an 800fsb capable one instead...

    Beginners fun this ...

    Geoff

    <<<<<<<<<<< <<<<<<< >>>>>>>>>>>>>

    I just built a sytem with this gigabyte MB and it is an execellant board if
    you dont need Raid. Dual bios,CIA overclocking,dual DDR.

    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-128-216&depa=1

    Courseyauto, Apr 9, 2004
  8. KingKong

    GBH Guest

    It will have to be a cheap and cheerful board - I found an Intel D875PBZ
    which has all I need ... and seems to perform reasonably well

    Thanks for your comments

    Geoff

    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-128-216&depa=1

    GBH, Apr 9, 2004
  9. KingKong

    Phil Weldon Guest

    Unfortunately you will never be able to overclock with that, or any, Intel
    motherboard.

    --
    Phil Weldon, pweldonatmindjumpdotcom
    For communication,

    Phil Weldon, Apr 9, 2004
  10. KingKong

    KingKong Guest

    Phil

    with me that would be a plus .... I am aware of the restrictions with Intel
    but I dont know enough to even think about overclocking (so its a bit odd me
    even being in this group) but I am here because of all the expertise around!

    Geoff

    KingKong, Apr 10, 2004