P4 3.06 GHz Temps at 50C idle!!!

Discussion in 'Overclocking' started by Justin Horne, Aug 20, 2003.

  1. Justin Horne

    Justin Horne Guest

    Hello all!

    I finished building my new system a little while back, and my
    temperatures seem (to me) to be very high!

    I have a Pentium 4 3.06 GHz running at 3.11 GHz, in a Coolermaster
    ATC-110b case. My motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-8INXP. I have 2
    intake fans (front bottom) and 2 exhaust (rear and top). I bought a
    Thermaltake Spark 7+ heatsink and am using Arctic Silver 3 compound.

    Here is a full list of all components:

    3.06 GHz Pentium 4 @ 3.11 GHz
    Gigabyte 8INXP Motherboard
    Enermax 431 Watt Power Supply
    1GB PC-2700 Corsair XMS RAM
    ATI All-In-Wonder Radeon 9700 Pro
    Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Platinum External
    Pinnacle Studio DV Firewire Capture Card w/ front connection
    2 x 180GB IBM Deskstar 180GXP Hard Drives in Raid 0 configuration
    60GB Western Digital Hard Drive in Standard ATA
    Sony DRU-500A DVD-Writer
    Sony DVD-Reader Drive
    1.44MB Sony Floppy Drive
    2 x 12" Blue Cold Cathode Lights
    4 x Thermaltake Smart Case Fans II

    I keep my house at 75F (24C) always. Here is my log from MBM5 after
    running heavy graphics (actually, 3DMark 2003):

    |Total number of readouts: 4865 CPU Speed: 3108 MHz
    |
    |Running from: 8/19/2003 12:57:33 PM untill: 8/20/2003 2:30:52 AM

    +-----------------------------+----------+----------+----------+----------+
    |Sensor | Current | Low | High |
    Average |
    +-----------------------------+----------+----------+----------+----------+
    |Case Temp | 25° C | 25° C | 25° C | 25° C
    |
    |CPU Temp | 50° C | 46° C | 64° C | 54° C
    |
    |Sensor 3 | 0° C | 0° C | 0° C | 0° C
    |
    |Core 0 | 1.55 V | 1.52 V | 1.60 V | 1.55
    V |
    |Core 1 | 1.47 V | 1.47 V | 1.49 V | 1.47
    V |
    |+3.3 | 3.22 V | 3.15 V | 3.25 V | 3.23
    V |
    |+5.00 | 3.06 V | 3.06 V | 3.06 V | 3.06
    V |
    |+12.00 | 11.43 V | 11.19 V | 11.49 V | 11.39
    V |
    |-12.00 | 0.56 V | 0.39 V | 0.56 V | 0.48
    V |
    |-5.00 | 0.00 V | 0.00 V | 0.00 V | 0.00
    V |
    |CPU Fan | 4383 RPM | 3590 RPM | 6367 RPM | 5077
    RPM |
    |Power Fan | 3068 RPM | 3040 RPM | 3154 RPM | 3066
    RPM |
    |Case Fan | 12500 RPM| 8035 RPM | 16071 RPM| 13410

    +-----------------------------+----------+----------+----------+----------+

    I have seen my CPU reach 66C, but not usually.

    Is my CPU temp normal, or should I be worried? I am open to
    suggestions!

    In addition, for my system, is the 431-watt power supply enough? If I
    need to go larger, I will. Could an under-rated power supply cause
    over heating?

    BTW, Intel states that the MAX temperature for this CPU is 69C here:
    http://support.intel.com/support/processors/pentium4/thermal.htm

    Thanks!
    JB

    Justin Horne, Aug 20, 2003

  2. Justin Horne

    Spajky Guest

    if your MoBo measures temps from internal diode (properly), you
    shuldn`t be worried.
    Intel states MAX temperature is 69C :
    thats the temp of IHS long term full load (years) temp !!!
    inside core would be 10°C more; IMHO @ 80°C core starts thermal
    throttling..
    looks that everything is normal
    (right now I have 55°C on Die with mine Tuallie-idle)
    visit my site to read about temps ...

    -- Regards, SPAJKY
    - http://freeweb.siol.net/jerman55/HP/Spajky.htm
    Celly-III OC-ed,"Tualatin on BX-Slot1-MoBo!"
    E-mail AntiSpam: remove ##

    Spajky, Aug 20, 2003

  3. Justin Horne

    mmartins Guest

    I have seen my CPU reach 66C, but not usually.
    I have the same chip, but not overclocked

    50C is my average temperature when idle, but I've seen it go up as far as 60

    mmartins, Aug 20, 2003
  4. Justin Horne

    Marc Mercier Guest

    I have essentially the same issue I need some advice on.
    Case I bought of sleazebay:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3424857817
    Motherboard: Abit IT7-Max2 v2.0
    CPU: Intel P4 3.06 (running stock speed)
    Ram: 1Gig PC2700 (Elixir)
    HDD: Maxtor DM9 120gig SATA
    Video: Matrox G400MAX (xfer from old machine)
    OS: Win2k SP4

    The CPU FAN/HS is the one that came with the CPU and is Intel stock item.
    Had MB monitor kick off and shutdown machine because CPU overheated while
    playing Return to Wolfenstein, until then it was running around 52-55C. I
    then went over to Radio Crap and bought some heatsink compound to replace
    the pad, which dropped the operation temps to between 47 and 50. I ran
    Prime95 and temps stood still at 68C... case temp 40C... room temp 72C. I
    ordered some Ceramique, but it won't be in for a few days... but that's
    negligable help compared to the overall picture. I think the Intel
    heatsink/fan unit hat comes stock is inadequate. I have a side fan blowing
    over the cpu fan, and two rear fans sucking the air past the cpu... and a
    power supply with two fans.... yet I can't run Prime95 & RtW at the same
    time without the cpu hitting 71C? Hmmmmm....
    All the overclocking sites I found have reviews of cpu heatsinks/fans, but
    the info is old or they don't do side-by-side comparison "shoot-out" type
    reviews. I'm looking for a standard copper or aluminum heat sink w/fan
    combo that will cool this down to a reasonable level. Any recommendations
    of a product or a website with a good side-by-side comparison review?

    Any help would be appreciated.

    Marc

    note: plz remove the capital letters spelling NO SPAM from email address to
    respond via email.

    Marc Mercier, Aug 24, 2003
  5. Justin Horne

    Spajky Guest

    room temp 72C ??? check the settings in that monitoring proggy & its
    shutdown temps! !!!
    looks like your MoBo is measuring from on Die diode trully, but check
    my site & read about that how to find out for sure that... & are you
    sure that you set your software properly (temp ofset) ?

    -- Regards, SPAJKY
    & visit - http://www.spajky.iscyber.com

    Spajky, Aug 24, 2003
  6. Justin Horne

    Marc Mercier Guest

    shutdown temps! !!!

    HAHAHAHA! I screwed up (obviously)... it's 72F... or ~23C in here.

    Marc Mercier, Aug 24, 2003
  7. Justin Horne

    Overlord Guest

    BTW, did you increase the core voltage for your OC?
    Put it back to spec. If I can OC to 3.5 or 3.6gig (whatever it was)
    on stock voltage you can certainly run 3.11 on stock voltage or even
    run the core voltage lower which I did with no problems on a small OC
    but I presume lower CPU temps.
    All depends on what your CPU can be talked into.

    ~~~~~~
    Bait for spammers:
    [email protected]
    [email protected]