    that would hamper speed/effectiveness...

    Thanks,

    Chuck

    Chuck, Oct 18, 2003

  2. Chuck

    RamFan Guest

    GA-7VT600-L ($68.99 Directron.com) will handle 200 FSB CPUs and supports DDR
    PC3200 at 400 FSB, Barton 2500+ ($87.99, same place). Sweet combo, low
    price.

    RamFan, Oct 19, 2003

  3. Chuck

    Usenetter Guest

    THE board of the moment is the Abit NF7-S2 - beats the Epoxes hollow.
    THE chip of the moment is the Duron 1.6 Applebred, which on the NF7 achieves
    250 x 10.
    It's basically a Barton core with 192/256k cache disabled - but a simple L2
    mod re-enables it.
    It's also half the price of a 2500+
    Unbeatable combo.
    Get some TwinMOS CH-5 or Samsung-chip memory.

    Usenetter, Oct 21, 2003
  4. Can't agree there. Sure, these mods are fun, but in at least some cases
    it won't work (cause the cache is defective). And you're wrong that it's
    a Barton core, it's a Thoroughbred (Barton's have 512KB cache).
    Basically, the Duron 1.6 is a Athlon XP (Thoroughbred) 1900 with
    disabled (possibly defective) 3/4 cache. Since Athlon XP 1900 isn't
    really that much more expensive, I'd rather suggest that, unless you do
    modding as a hobby or really need to save that 15 USD. (Or, if you want
    to spend a bit more, the XP (Barton) 2500 still offers excellent value
    for the money and overclocks reasonably well usually.)

    Roland Scheidegger, Oct 21, 2003