    But I swapped in a cheap brand 400W power supply and got the exact same
    results. Perhaps it has the same output on the direct 12v line to the CPU?

    I would LOVE to be able to hit 250, any ideas?

    Darkfalz, Nov 6, 2003

  2. Darkfalz

    gawderho Guest

    Good Point!

    To me, our PSU's are the Power Houses for our PC's.

    So as not to get specific about different brands, always look for DEDICATED
    supply lines and a double fan unit to help cool your CPU.

    Because,

    I believe stability is based on how stable your power supply lines remain at
    a constant rated spec for a full rated current load. Read some reviews on
    differrent PSU's............... I'll look for a link..........

    Enough For now

    Gawderho

    gawderho, Nov 6, 2003

  3. Darkfalz

    Ed Guest

    Here's one...
    2003 PSU Roundup Part II
    http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.html?i=1841&p=1

    Cheers,
    Ed

    Ed, Nov 6, 2003
  4. Darkfalz

    Ed Guest

    Ed, Nov 6, 2003
  5. Darkfalz

    BoB Guest

    I would think that a quality 400W PS would be a minimum.

    BoB, Nov 6, 2003
  6. Darkfalz

    DaveW Guest

    Get an Antec PSU (quality), and at least 380 Watts.

    DaveW, Nov 7, 2003
  7. Darkfalz

    Paul Guest

    Try doing some research on abxzone.com (you can spend hours over there...).

    The weak link could be the Northbridge. When you increase the Vcore
    voltage for the processor, that doesn't help the Northbridge do its
    job.

    There are several things that could affect the Northbridge:

    1) One theory (I don't have any info to confirm this), is that
    the 875 and 865 Northbridges use the same silicon die. The 865
    doesn't have its CSA interface pinned out, so the 865 has a
    lower number of BGA balls on the bottom. Intel separates the
    silicon die according to their maximum clock rate, and the cheaper
    865 are the slower ones from any one batch. In other words,
    for best overclocking experience, you might want to start with
    a P4C800 type board with 875 chip.
    2) The Northbridge needs a voltage boost to be pushed further.
    I haven't read about any one attacking this issue.
    3) Maybe the heatsink on the Northbridge is not making good
    contact. The heatsink would feel cool, while the chip itself
    could be getting hot during overclock. Check abxzone to see
    whether this has helped or not. Do not proceed unless someone
    has demonstrated a benefit and a methodology that doesn't
    damage the bare die on the chip. (The whole idea is risky
    and will void your warranty for no good reason...)

    875P thermal output 12.1W (page 15)
    ftp://download.intel.com/design/chipsets/designex/25252801.pdf

    865PE thermal output 10.2W when using 2 DIMMS (page 14)
    ftp://download.intel.com/design/chipsets/designex/25251902.pdf

    A good overclock is one you can do without hacking up the board.
    If you are one of those rich guys who can afford another board,
    then go right ahead :)

    Is your ram premium branded ram or some generic stuff ? It could
    be the culprit too.

    On this site, there are 16 entries for people overclocking the
    3.0C processor. You are doing well for an air cooled system.
    The highest overclocks are with people using Prometeia fridge
    systems. Hmm... So maybe the processor itself is thermally
    limited. Also note which is the predominant Northbridge in
    the listed systems.

    http://www.cpudatabase.com/CPUdb

    HTH,
    Paul

    Paul, Nov 7, 2003
  8. Darkfalz

    Darkfalz Guest

    Is your ram premium branded ram or some generic stuff ? It could
    It's Kingston.
    Yeah, I thought that 250 FSB was a given on P4 C chips, maybe it's not the
    case.

    Anyway, I don't need to overclock right now, it's really only for future
    reference. At the moment my GFX card (the much picked on FX 5200) is a
    gigantic bottleneck in terms of 3D performance. Overclocking turns off PAT
    anyway, which almost defeats the purpose of having this board.

    Darkfalz, Nov 7, 2003
  9. Darkfalz

    DanO Guest

    3.6GHz is about the max for any P4c on the market. I doubt we'll ever even
    see Intel release a P4c at that speed. I believe they will move on to a
    smaller die size and prescott before we see anything above 3.4GHz.

    If you really wanted to get your FSB speeds up there, you should have bought
    a 2.4, 2.6, or 2.8 P4c CPU. I am running my 2.4c at fsb=270 which is
    3.24GHz. My ram limits me from going quicker.

    You really should be thrilled with that overclock, especially if it is
    stable (run Prime95 for a couple of hours to see if you really are stable.)

    DanO, Nov 8, 2003
  10. Darkfalz

    gawderho Guest

    Hey Paul, great info and great links!

    Thank you large...............gawderho

    gawderho, Nov 8, 2003
  11. Darkfalz

    blackgold Guest

    A good power supply of 350 Watts is enough. 400 Watts is better of course,
    but it should be of good quality too.

    blackgold, Nov 8, 2003
  12. Darkfalz

    badraptor Guest