P4-VGM and LiteON DVD burner compatibility problems...

Discussion in 'Soyo' started by s1mple_m4n, Jun 15, 2006.

  1. s1mple_m4n

    s1mple_m4n Guest

    I have a SOYO P4-VGM motherboard running a 2.4G P4 processor, 512Mb RAM
    and have just purchased a LiteON DVD burner to use on this machine.

    Installation was not a problem, but once PC was back together and
    running I noticed that the DVD did not run discs with autorun files on
    them. In fact, although the CDs and DVDs were able to be read (just) by
    the drive, no programmes could be run from them. All sorts of
    application and I/O errors popped up, and no matter what I try, it just
    keeps happening.

    This motherboard runs older CD-ROMs I have tested on it absolutely
    fine, so I was wondering if this was one of those occasions where the
    motherboard and the DVD drive are just not compatible. And if so, why?

    Any help welcome.

    Thanks,

    RoyJ

    s1mple_m4n, Jun 15, 2006

  2. s1mple_m4n

    Rick Hallman Guest

    I have no problems with Lite-On dvd drives. Other than having a defective
    drive, have you tried a different IDE cable? (Round cables look cool but
    some cheap low quality cables will create problems.) If it's on a ribbon
    cable, does it have 80 conductors? Are your BIOS settings correct for that
    IDE channel? Is it the Master device on its IDE channel? If there is
    another device on that IDE channel, what is it?

    Rick Hallman, Jun 26, 2006