    Peter
    Für direkte email rot13
    oder entferne ".without-this" aus der Email-To. Danke!

    Peter Michel, Feb 4, 2009

  2. Peter Michel

    andy Guest

    The Intel chipset driver does not support Windows 98.

    andy, Feb 4, 2009

  3. Peter Michel

    Peter Michel Guest

    Hi andy,
    but i can install win98 on the board and it will work - or not?
    Do i need the chipset driver? For what?
    Thanks for help!
    Cheers Peter

    Peter Michel, Feb 8, 2009
  4. Peter Michel

    Paul Guest

    I don't see a setting in the P45 Neo3-FIR BIOS for "Compatible"
    mode for the SATA ports. You need "Compatible" mode, so that
    four SATA ports are emulated as IDE devices in I/O space,
    at IRQ14/IRQ15. That is how Intel has traditionally fooled
    Win98 into thinking it was running on an older motherboard.

    For a reference on the subject of Southbridge modes, this
    is a document from Intel. See Section 4.1 on PDF page 13.

    http://www.intel.com/Assets/PDF/manual/252671.pdf

    You have a second storage controller on your motherboard,
    the Jmicron JMB363. But there is no driver for Win98.

    ftp://driver.jmicron.com.tw/jmb36x/

    I have been able to get Win98 running on an Asrock 4CoreDual-SATA2 R2.0,
    using my oldest IDE disk drive for a test. The VIA chipset does still
    support Win98. The Device Manager is clean (has the same problem
    with a game port that WinXP does right now). There are a couple
    caveats about Win98 on the newer hardware.

    1) Only one core of your Core2 Dual or Quad will work. The
    processor won't be fully used.

    2) During the installation, you have to add an entry into
    one of the Win98 files, such that only 512MB of memory
    are registered. I did that step, after the first portion
    of the installation, using a Linux LiveCD to perform the
    necessary text edit. If you only had a single 512MB DIMM
    installed in the computer, then this modification would not
    be needed.

    That Asrock motherboard only supports up to FSB1066 processors.
    And the board is not something I would recommend to others. It
    has too many issues with the quality of the BIOS work. EIST
    is disabled, the clock generator is not properly programmed
    for non-canonical frequencies and so on.

    The above mentioned "Compatible" disk mode issue, is just the
    first step. Would you have a Win98 video driver ? (I'm
    using an ATI Radeon 9800Pro video card, which does have a driver.)
    Would the network interface have a Win98 driver ? There are plenty
    of questions to ask, before attempting the installation. You
    might install Win98, only to be stuck with a screen resolution
    of 640 x 480, with no networking support.

    Paul

    Paul, Feb 8, 2009
  5. Peter Michel

    Peter Michel Guest

    Hi Paul,
    thanks for support.
    I think we will not get fun in this way - we where looking forward to
    make it multi bootable XP, Win98, Unixware and Linux for using in the
    support-line.
    We see now a problem in installation of Unixware: The installation
    floppy will not work (looks like no medium is in the device) but it is
    booting in all the others maschine we have incl. laptops!
    Other testet boot-floppies work well here.
    Don't know what the fails of the Unixware-maked-floppies causes :-((

    Peter Michel, Feb 9, 2009