    wrong.
    Ideas?
    Jime

    jime, Sep 26, 2005

  2. jime

    Paul Guest

    The basic time keeping mechanism is explained here. Windows
    maintains its own version of a real time clock, and the
    clock most likely is incremented via whatever hardware
    event drives the task scheduler.

    http://www.itc.virginia.edu/desktop/dci/timeloss.html

    A question that was asked of you previously, is whether
    the time keeping function works better if you just sit
    in the BIOS setup screen that shows the clock. While sitting
    in the BIOS screen, you would be observing the operation of
    the hardware RTC clock. The hardware RTC clock maintains time
    when the computer is sleeping, or the computer is unplugged.

    Chances are, it is some software that is causing the problem.

    Using a NTP (network time protocol) client and synchronizing
    the clock will certainly fix the problem, if you have an
    Internet connection that is available when the client wants
    to talk to a time server. But using NTP or W32tim service,
    just hides whatever else is wrong with the system. The
    time keeping should work reasonably well on its own, without
    need of NTP (although if you do a web search, you'll see many
    articles extolling the virtues of NTP and time servers).

    There are chipsets with some kind of interrupt/timekeeping
    issues (nforce2), but I don't think your Intel chipset is
    one of them.

    Paul

    Paul, Sep 26, 2005

  3. jime

    CeeBee Guest

    Your CMOS battery empty? Or is your PC always on the power cord?

    CeeBee, Sep 26, 2005