    access to the MB (such as an MB panel that opens), and I have the
    usual concerns of cooling and noise.

    Suggestions and Insight are appreciated. Thanks.

    tony010409020622, May 24, 2004

  2. tony010409020622

    Legend Guest

    I use a zalman on a p4c800 and have tossed the fan and speed controller
    that came with it because it still made too much noise for me....

    instead I hung a really slow 5" fan off the zalman bracket that just
    circulates enough air quietly to keep the 3ghz CPU cool and quiet

    the fan I used plugs straight into the HD leads

    Legend, May 24, 2004

  3. tony010409020622

    PurSpyk!! Guest

    Hi

    I have the same cooler installed in my system cooling a P4 3Ghz running at
    3.45GHz. The fan is very quite compared to the stock fan. I have set the fan
    speed to the max setting using the fan mate device that comes with the fan.
    Q-Fan has been disabled in the BIOS.

    I have also used Artic Silver between the heatsink and processor, this setup
    has been running for about a year. The computer never gets switched off, and
    I have had no problems to data.

    PurSpyk!!, May 24, 2004
  4. tony010409020622

    Tim Guest

    Answers inline...

    Yip, turn it off in the bios.
    The zalman znps 7000 alcu has an excellent reputation. I have one, they are
    "common" because they are so good. I have only just come across 1 person
    that is more picky than me with noise - Mr Legend above. Most noise for me
    comes from the 3 disc drives & PSU. Unless you are a speed freak, stick to
    the ALCU variant as the pure copper is a lot heavier for little benefit.

    The heatsink issue will be with the case you select in that you will need to
    make sure there is enough clearance between the bottom of the PSU and the
    top of the zalman EG squat cases are out. If you check on the zalman site
    they are clear about the dimensions of space needed around the heatsink &
    motherboard overhang will have to be estimated by you (IE clearance to
    PSU)...

    Either turn Q-Fan off in bios and use the speed control on the zalman, or
    use Q-Fan with the zalman always set to run flat out. Do not use both. My
    pref is to throttle the zalman manually. You will no doubt find that the fan
    on the zalman will spin too slowly anyway for Q-Fan to operate correctly.
    Choose something that is Tall (ie height) and Deep (front to back). A tall
    case that is not deep is as bad as a short case that is deep. The size is
    ultimately up to you but my main point is that most of the issues with
    maintenance are to do with proximity of internal drives to the mobo, or PSU
    to the mobo so even a 'small' case can cater for both of these so long as
    there is ample room around the mobo... Recommend a case with 12cm fans for
    front and rear. there are a few around. The good thing about these is better
    air circulation at lower fan revs --> quieter. My case is a Lian Li
    PC6070A - a really nice case but it could be a few cm taller and a few cm
    deeper without extra drive bays and it would be perfect (and doesn't have
    provision for 12cm fans....).

    For case selection there are many variables: # front facing drive bays 5
    1/2", # 3 1/2 drive bays, # internal bays, "Show" / "Economy" / "Quietness"
    or other major design point, windows, bla bla bla. Lian Li is a good site to
    look around. The cheaper cases are usually just that - repeat after me cheap
    cheap cheap.

    Keep the quality and capacity specs for the PSU you need separated from the
    case 'cos unless you good a really good case you will get a crap PSU with it
    (if its bundled) - swap the supplied PSU for credit on the PSU you do want /
    need.

    Tim, May 24, 2004
  5. tony010409020622

    Louise Guest

    Take a look at endpcnoise.com. I had them build me a quiet system using
    the Zalman with fan mate and a Nexus 120mm case fan in a Sonata case -
    built to be extra quiet.

    It is barely audible and for the past few months (not yet the height of
    summer), I've been running with the fan mate all the way down and the
    cpu never gets hotter than 42c.

    Even if you don't have them build it, you could learn about partnering
    quiet parts from what they sell and recommend.

    Louise

    Louise, May 25, 2004