P4C800 Deluxe Memory: How close is close?

Discussion in 'Asus' started by rfdjr1, Feb 23, 2004.

  1. rfdjr1

    rfdjr1 Guest

    I( have a new P4C800 Deluxe motherboard. The memory they sold me with
    it is two 512 chips made by Infineon. The number on the chips is:

    HYB25D256809BT-5

    The number that ASUS lists on their website as being compatible is:

    Infineon HYB25D256800BT-5B

    My numner may have a B at the end too. My wife had to read the number
    as my eyes weren't up to it, and she may have missed the B. Or I
    didn't write it down. But my question is, as I'm trying to eliminate
    hardware problems for a seemingly slow Windows XP performance, is
    would my memory be compatible or do the numbers have be exact? The
    rest of my specs are:

    P4 3.2Ghz processor
    120Gb Western Digital Serial-ATA hard drive
    Windows XP Professional

    Thanks for any advice.

    rfdjr1, Feb 23, 2004

  2. rfdjr1

    Paul Guest

    All the 256Mbit parts are listed here - your module is made of
    32Mx8 chips. Sixteen of these chips are needed to get 512MB:

    http://www.infineon.com/cgi/ecrm.dll/ecrm/scripts/prod_ov.jsp?oid=13529&cat_oid=-8005

    None of the part numbers end in 9. I downloaded the BT-5 datasheet,
    and it refers to a 5 and a 5A part. The 5A part is CAS2.5 and the
    5 part is CAS3, at DDR400. There is no mention of a 5B part, unless
    they are referring to the B version of die, for the 5 part. If the
    memory stick is rated at CAS3 at DDR400, maybe that is what 5B means
    - i.e. 5 = 5B, while 5A is faster.

    Many people complain of seemingly slow performance, and in order for
    us to help you, we need more specifics. If I told you I wasn't feeling
    well, and could you prescribe a drug to make me feel better, that
    wouldn't be a lot to go on.

    Tell us what aspects are slow - screen redraw in desktop, moving
    browser windows around is slow, game framerates are slow, memory
    benchmarks are off, etc. Also, we need to know what all the hardware
    is in the computer, what disks are on which interfaces, what cards
    are in which PCI slots, which slots you've plugged the memory into.

    You can also inventory the machine with programs like:

    http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php
    http://aida32.hu/aida32-shots.php?type=l

    Look over the numbers from these programs, and see if the clock
    rates and settings are consistent with the hardware you bought.
    For example, if your 3.2GHz processor decides to run at 1.6GHz,
    because the BIOS has set the CPU clock to 100MHz, that would make
    it slow.

    HTH,
    Paul

    Paul, Feb 24, 2004

  3. rfdjr1

    Roy Coorne Guest

    That's o.k. - I have nearly the same memory, i.e. 2 x 256 MB Infineon
    PC3200 - with the 'B' missing on the modules - on a P4P800 Deluxe with
    a P4 2.4C and the rig is running fine.
    Roy

    Roy Coorne, Feb 24, 2004
  4. rfdjr1

    rfdjr1 Guest

    I must have not been clear on my post. Sorry about that. I have two
    512Mb memory cards, for a system total of 1Gb. Does this make a
    difference in what you're telling me? One each in the blue
    slots.Thanks again.

    rfdjr1, Feb 24, 2004
  5. rfdjr1

    Paul Guest

    The reason for asking about memory slots, is to see whether you are
    set up for dual channel or not.

    So, what part of your system is slow ?

    Paul

    Paul, Feb 24, 2004
  6. rfdjr1

    rfdjr1 Guest

    I might just be paranoid. The main thing I notice is when I go into
    Windows Explorer in Windows XP Pro, and try to expand a disk (click on
    the + sign). It seems to take a few seconds, and I guess I imag8ined
    it would be instantaneous with this hardware. Also if I try to create
    a new folder on my hard drive, it seems to take a few seconds to open
    New then Folder. I thought this too should happen instantly . Like I
    said, maybe I'm paranoid. Also, for the first time tonight, I tried to
    make a DVD. I had a 1 hour and 5 minute .mpg file which was a video I
    captured from my VCR. It took about 1-1/2 hours to reencode the video.
    I didn't get to the burning part yet. But 1-1/2 hours to encode a 1 hr
    5 min file? But maybe this is normal since it's all new to me. Three
    years ago I built a system and had problems. I guess I'm just
    expecting problems on this one too.

    rfdjr1, Feb 24, 2004
  7. rfdjr1

    Darkfalz Guest

    Infineon HYB25D256800BT-5B

    Does the memory come in a kit? My RAM has an A at the end, which merely
    indicates it comes as part of a 2 piece kit. The regular model doesn't have
    the A.

    Darkfalz, Feb 24, 2004
  8. rfdjr1

    127.0.0.1 Guest

    I have the same boad insted a 2.8 it took me a will to tweek it to get it
    fast
    I was running infeneon ram also but switch to corsair TWINX1024-4000PRO
    noticed
    a good diference
    but now its running fine i disable the hypertreding and it made a big
    diference since the aplication your runing gets all the power ...good luck

    127.0.0.1, Feb 24, 2004
  9. rfdjr1

    GB Guest

    Paul,
    Thanks for the link to the CPU ID program. I ran that on my new
    P4C800E Deluxe system with Corsair memory and found out my "Turbo"
    bios setting for the memory was not turned on. Can't tell much
    difference with it activated but I always like to get any boost I can.
    This is my fourth self built computer in eight years and I have never
    tried to overclock one before but I am considering tweaking this one
    up a little but still after reading all I can on the groups I really
    don't know where to start for a tweak in speed. Seems like every
    message I read about someone overclocking their system they have a
    little different speed processor, different memory or something that
    is not quiet like mine so I can safely raise the bar on mine by using
    their settings as a guideline.
    Do you or anyone else know of a site I can go to and read and learn
    from, that is in laymans terms so I can understand what they are
    trying to get across?

    GB, Feb 26, 2004
  10. rfdjr1

    Paul Guest

    To be honest with you, no site meets that lofty objective (educational
    without selling you something). The enthusiast sites, like abxzone.com,
    nforcershq.com, amdmb.com, 2cpu.com, and so on, are populated with
    end users, and they have their own language and understanding of
    how things work. You would have to lurk there and read a lot of
    posts, before learning anything.

    As for the BIOS settings, rojakpot.com can shed some light on some
    of the more obscure settings.

    http://abxzone.com/forums/search.php

    HTH,
    Paul