    No indication anything wrong from checking around in XP and Sandra.
    How do I determine if / which drive is bad?
    TIA for any assistance.

    Itech, Dec 7, 2003

  2. Itech

    Itech Guest

    Oops, it's RAID 1 (mirror), not 0 (stripe).

    Itech, Dec 7, 2003

  3. Itech

    Paul Guest

    Sounds like an interesting problem :) I've never used RAID before,
    but in thinking about what I would do with it, the first thing is
    to test the mirroring thing before there is any data on the disks.
    I.e. Set up the mirror, remove one drive, see what happens. Basically,
    do a "disaster walkthrough" before the disaster happens.

    I think my main concern would be desynchronizing the disks by placing
    different data on them. In principle, I would disconnect one drive,
    and then test the other drive, by say, read verifying the entire surface
    of the disk. If you do this on the RAID port, I expect the RAID BIOS
    management software will treat the disk as a single volume virtual
    device. The RAID BIOS will probably write the fact that the disk is now
    "lonely" into the sector of the disk used to record the configuration.
    Later, if you connect the other disk onto the RAID port, the management
    software will probably do a sector by sector copy of the first disk
    onto the second disk, after you tell it you want to make a mirror.
    So, you had better do a surface verify before allowing the BIOS to
    make a copy like that.

    You can test both drives one at a time, and then make a decision as
    to which one you will use to "clone" the second one. My guess is
    the RAID BIOS will insist on doing things this way, in order to
    keep the disk contents synchronized. Otherwise, if you play with
    each disk separately in Windows, then put them back in mirror mode,
    the disk structures will forever diverge and be screwed up.

    So, my _theory_ is, "split the mirror and you'll be forced to reclone".
    Make sure you identify which disk is the "good" one before cloning.
    If you are at all unsure about this, find a third drive and back up
    all the data before even touching the RAID array. I learned my lesson
    about recovery procedures going awry before, so the backup is now the
    first thing I do, on any compromised disks. (I once had a disk with
    duplicate directory structures on it - the system said one structure
    was damaged - I used a respected utility to repair it, and the utility
    proceeded to copy the bad directory over top of the good one!!! Kaboom.)

    Post back how your testing turns out.

    HTH,
    Paul

    Paul, Dec 7, 2003
  4. Itech

    JBM Guest

    One thing you could do is go to the hard drive
    manufactures web site and download a diagnostics
    program. You may have to install the drive
    to be tested on one of the normal IDE ports
    to test it.

    JBM, Dec 7, 2003
  5. Itech

    Itech Guest

    Thanks for replies.
    Slept on it & got up strategy: copy all files to other HD & then attempt to
    rebuild array.
    So after cleaned up to make space, copied all and rebooted and GUESS WHAT?
    Right, RAID now shown as "functional", no "Critical Error" warning, system
    runs thru and boots normally.
    GGGGRRRRRRRRR...
    Check for BIOS & FastTrak updates, all seems up to date but some confusion
    at ASUS download site, new 1014 BIOS available? Must update "AsusUpdate"
    util in order to get new BIOS yet running new util [v5.22.02] does not find
    it so stayed w/ current 1011.
    So WTF, go Shutdown > Standby to see if array gets wacked again: Nope. Still
    got nasty noise as something ground to rapid halt though...
    Crap. The whole point of the RAID 1 is for protection of most important data
    but now I don't trust it. Tells me a drive is wacked but not which one and
    then decides it's OK next day after I waste hours rebooting, checking
    settings, researching, cleaning and copying files. GGRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!
    Anyone seen this sort of "possible false alarm"?
    Guess I'll look for utils to test health of RAID and drives......
    Suggestions / comments?

    Itech, Dec 7, 2003
  6. Itech

    JBM Guest

    When I first started using RAID on this MB
    on boot I would intermittently get a missing
    drive message on boot. And would have to
    rebuild the array. This happened about once
    a week. I replace a power cable that had a loose
    connection and updated the RAID driver and
    haven't seen the problem for awhile now.
    I'm using driver 1.0.1.37 dated 8/6/2003

    JBM, Dec 8, 2003
  7. Itech

    Itech Guest

    I've got 1.0.1.28., 6/3/2003, according to Windows XP.
    I see one called Promise FastTrak 378 RAID Driver V1.00.1.37 for Windows
    98SE/NT4/ME/2000/XP/2003 on ASUS download site.
    Is this what you are using on Asus P4C800 Deluxe?
    TIA...

    Itech, Dec 8, 2003
  8. Itech

    JBM Guest

    yes

    JBM, Dec 8, 2003
  9. Itech

    Itech Guest

    Interesting: in Windows it says 1.0.1.28, but during boot it says 1.00.1.37.
    I'll try installing .37 in Winblows...
    Thanks for reply.

    Itech, Dec 9, 2003
  10. Itech

    Itech Guest

    Just gets better:
    Now XP says it's 1.0.1.37 in Driver tab of "WinXP Promise FastTrak 378 (tm)
    Controller" but in "Driver Details" (didn't bother to look b4) it has 2
    files:
    c\w\sys32\drivers\Fasttx2k.sys = v1.00.1.37
    c\w\sys32\ptipbmf.dl = v1.00.0.3
    This is for "WinXP Promise FastTrak 378 (tm) Controller" under "SCSI &RAID
    Controllers" in Device Mgr., the one I had before. OK!

    But now I have a new device under "SCSI & RAID controllers":
    "WinXP Promise Promise RAID Console SCSI Processor Device".
    It also shows 1.0.1.37 in Driver tab, but hitting "Driver Details" button
    results in "No driver files are required or have been loaded for this
    device".

    Clear as mud: installing new drivers results in new device that has no
    drivers.

    Perhaps new one is for SATA (not used yet) and the original was for ATA 133
    (in use)?

    Oh well, any way the winblows.

    Suggestions, comments, enlightenment appreciated,

    duh

    Itech, Dec 9, 2003
  11. Itech

    JBM Guest

    I get the same results and my system is working ok.

    JBM, Dec 9, 2003
  12. Itech

    duh Guest

    Thanks for the reply.
    Reassuring to say the least.
    Happy Holidays, you get Karma points, hope it pays!
    duh

    duh, Dec 9, 2003
  13. Itech

    Pete Gray Guest

    I had exactly the same problem on the same board, except that I'm
    running Raid 0. It was always Chan 1 in the Raid 0 array that would
    fail. New cables (power and data) and drivers didn't help. I
    couldn't trust that the machine would start and I got tired of
    rebuilding the array. I was pretty sure it was the Promise controller
    on the motherboard, but wasn't willing to send the board back to ASUS
    for repair/replacement (2-3 weeks). I went out and bought the Promise
    FastTrak S150 TX4 for about $60 and haven't had a speck of trouble
    since.

    Pete

    Pete Gray, Dec 9, 2003
  14. Itech

    duh Guest

    Thanks.
    Have seen several similar comments to the effect of "just get a real
    controller" for various reasons.
    I'm going to see how it goes now with new drivers.
    And hope to pick up some big SATA drives soon so will try the SATA RAID.
    But yes, a card is a serious possibility.

    duh, Dec 9, 2003
  15. Itech

    JBM Guest

    I've been thinking about this and just realised it
    couldn't be new drivers that fixed my problem.
    Because the error occurs before windows is even.
    loaded. The 1011 bios had an update for the
    promise raid boot rom. I forgot I'd updated the
    BIOS too, so that's what probable fixed my problem, or the cable.

    JBM, Dec 11, 2003
  16. Itech

    duh Guest

    No more RAID trouble here yet.
    Before I updated Windows drivers Windows was showing 1.0.1.28 but BIOS said
    1.00.1.37. Now after updating drivers BIOS says 1.00.1.37 and Windows says
    1.00.1.37 and there's no more trouble (yet, knock on wood).
    Makes me wonder if not having them match could cause trouble, IE Windows had
    it going one way then BIOS tried to change back on reboot?
    I'll top post back if trouble returns.
    duh

    duh, Dec 12, 2003