P4C800-Dlx vs P4C800-E Dlx hyperthreading?

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Noozer, Aug 13, 2004.

  1. Noozer

    Noozer Guest

    My wife and I have almost identical PC's, yet my computer seems to
    hyperthread applications where hers doesn't.

    She's got a Asus P4C800 Deluxe with a 2.6Ghz P4 (800Mhz bus) clocked just
    over 3Ghz. 2x 512meg of DDR 400 memory clocked at 3:2. Video card is a
    Matrox G550.

    My PC is an Asus P4C800-E Deluxe with a 2.6Ghz P4 (800Mhz bus) clocked just
    over 3.1Ghz, 2x 256meg of DDR 533 memory clocked at 1:1. Video card is an
    ATI 9600XT.

    Boot both PC's into Windows XP. Start Hoyles Puzzle Games 2004 and then open
    the Task Manager to the Performance tab. On my PC the CPU usage hovers
    around 52%. The CPU history shows that the load is pretty much balanced
    between the two virtual CPUs. On the wifes PC the load is also around 50%,
    but CPU 0 is maxxed out and CPU 1 has no load on it at all!

    Both machines were built at the same time, same OS, same updates being done
    to each.

    Any ideas why the difference in hyperthreading? Does this indicate any
    difference in performance?

    Noozer, Aug 13, 2004

  2. Noozer

    sheer Guest

    Not sure on this one but have you checked that your wifes PC has
    Hyperthreading enabled in the BIOS?

    sheer, Aug 14, 2004

  3. Noozer

    Noozer Guest

    Definately... It was the first thing that I checked.

    Noozer, Aug 14, 2004
  4. Noozer

    snert Guest

    but was it set when the OS was installed?

    snert, Aug 18, 2004