P4C800-E - 2nd MB - Still SetUp Problems

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Bill, Jan 4, 2004.

  1. Bill

    Bill Guest

    Hi All,
    I sent my first P4C800-E back because it would only boot about 1 in 10
    times.

    When my replacement mb arrived, I connected the drives from my previous
    machine. RAID 0 on Intel. It all booted fine. Machine ran for about 10
    hours without problems, during which time I rebooted 4 or 5 times. Then
    lockup. The RAID setup became corrupted. After spending several hours
    trying to 'fix' it, I decided OK, lets go none RAID.

    So I deleted the RAID, and planned on a fresh install. The only time
    the BIOS could 'ever' see the SATA drives is when the promise controller
    is enabled (even though the drives aren't attached to it !!). (the
    promise BIOS than says that no drives are installed, so it doesn't
    instal itself)

    The boot up messages before the ASUS Welcome screen shows the SATA
    drives as being present, but the BIOS can only seen the SATA drives
    attached to the Intel SATA about 1 in 5 re-boots. I've never managed to
    get the window install to see them...

    At this point I'm ready to ditch it and get an ABIT.

    Any Idea's.

    Bill

    P4C800-E - 1011 BIOS
    512meg Crucial 3200 memory
    ATI 9600XT video
    2 SATA on Intel controller
    1 IDE hard drive
    1 IDE ZIP drive
    2 IDE CD/DVD roms
    480 watt power supply

    Bill, Jan 4, 2004

  2. Might try flashing the BIOS to 1014...

    Check cable connections. They're *not* connected to the SATA_RAID1 or
    SATA_RAID2 connectors are they?

    Bad drive maybe?

    Mine works fine with two drives. Not sure Abit is better. My one
    experience with them sent me running.

    dazed-and-confused, Jan 4, 2004

  3. Bill

    Bill Guest

    Hi dazed..

    no they were connected to the Intel controller. I could see them as ide
    3 & 4 sometimes.

    They are now connected to the promise controller & that can 'see them'
    - so I think the drives are ok.

    At this point I can't decide between ditching the SATA's and buying a
    big IDE or getting another MB.

    Bill

    Bill, Jan 4, 2004
  4. Bill

    Steve Sr. Guest

    Bill,

    Have you tried different memory? At the least you should do a burn-in
    with memtest 86. This will give you a stability check. Let it run
    overnight. Any errors and you have a problem.

    The other possibility is that your power supply is not up to the task
    of powering the board and all of your drives. What brand is it? Remove
    all but your boot drive. If this helps it points to an insufficient
    power supply.

    Two DOA motherboards would be extremely rare. You can also try just a
    minimal system and see if that helps anything.

    Regards,

    Steve

    Steve Sr., Jan 4, 2004
  5. Bill

    Bob Guest

    Steve is right. power supplies are nothing to skimp on.

    Bob, Jan 5, 2004
  6. 480 watts should be more than sufficient.

    dazed-and-confused, Jan 5, 2004
  7. Bill

    Bill Guest

    Hi Bob (& Steve)

    I think the problem with the new MB was a faulty SATA power cable. My
    two drives were powered off the same cable. I replaced the cable, and so
    far the MB has always seen the drives...

    Bill

    Bill, Jan 5, 2004
  8. Bill

    Bill Guest

    Hi Steve,

    I think it was a faulty SATA power cable.....

    Thanks

    Bill

    Bill, Jan 5, 2004