P4C800-E - Cannot load CDROM driver in DOS utility floppy

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Tim Godfrey, Jan 2, 2004.

  1. Tim Godfrey

    Tim Godfrey Guest

    I use bootable DOS FDs and CDROMs for various system utilities (Drive
    Image, Partition Magic, etc). With previous motherboards, I could put
    a line like "device=oakcdrom.sys /D:mscd001" into the CONFIG.SYS file
    and the MSCDEX line in the AUTOEXEC.BAT, and the CDROM would work.

    With the P4C800-E, the CDROM is not found when OAKCDROM tries to load.
    Device manager tells me the Intel 82801EB Ultra ATA Storage controller
    is at IO EFxx, Memory FFEFFCxx, and IRQ 18. The CDROM works fine in
    Windows XP.

    Are there command line switches for OAKCDROM.SYS to set these
    parameters?

    Is there another driver that can support a DOS CDROM on the P4C800-E?

    Is there a way to set the BIOS to make the ATA controllers settings
    compatible with OAKCDROM.SYS (or any other available ATAPI DOS
    driver)?

    Tim Godfrey, Jan 2, 2004

  2. Tim Godfrey

    Ayoub Guest

    hmm, is your cdrom attached to the promise controller?
    cheers

    Ayoub, Jan 2, 2004

  3. Tim Godfrey

    Tim Godfrey Guest

    The CDROM is attached to the Intel ICH5 (82801EB) ATA controller. This
    has two SATA ports and two PATA ports. The SATA ports (IDE1 and IDE2)
    are unused. A hard drive is attached as master to IDE3. There are two
    CDROMs as master and slave on IDE4.

    A different PATA hard disk is attached to the promise controller,
    which is operating in ATA mode (not RAID).

    Tim Godfrey, Jan 2, 2004
  4. Tim Godfrey

    Steve Sr. Guest

    My old standard Windows 98SE boot disk with CD ROM support worked fine
    on mine. The CD ROM is on the secondary IDE channel.

    Why don't you start with something like this and work backwards?

    Steve

    Steve Sr., Jan 2, 2004