P4C800 E-Deluxe & Boxed P4=LOW CPU Fan Speed

Discussion in 'Asus' started by red_hair_swede, Mar 6, 2004.

  1. Hi All!

    My first venture into the Asus newsgroup.

    Finally bit the bullet and moved into the 1000+ Mhz CPU club with a P4C800 E
    and P4 3.0 retail boxed CPU.

    Install went smooth, and I REALLY enjoy the zippy performance.

    Only issue I have, is that after installing Motherboard Monitor to keep tabs
    on my new CPU, the CPU temperature gets HOT at times.

    I have a nice big case, and the case and motherboard temperature proper are
    ok, but under any kind of load, the CPU temperature starts climbing rapidly,
    and can get into the 90's, and even briefly over 100 degrees F!

    I have the MBM dumping to a monitoring file, so I can see what is happening,
    and it seems to come down to the fact that the CPU fan (again stock retailed
    boxed Intel Heat sink & Fan) NEVER speeds up, even when the CPU is getting
    close to 100F!

    I have read all the postings in this group, and seen other postings related
    to the boxed Intel Fan, and it seems to be that the CPU Fan itself has
    temperature sensing that is controlling things?

    My question, should I be concerned?

    I DON'T like to see any component getting hot, much less my CPU, so this
    does not seem like a good situation.

    Thanks,
    Nate

    red_hair_swede, Mar 6, 2004

  2. red_hair_swede wrote:

    1. Disconnect it from the
    Q-Fan header if its attached, and run it straight of the MB.

    2. Second, double check that your HSF is properly seated, undo and re-do
    it is the motto here.

    3. Double check in the BIOS that Q-fan is disabled, see section 4-30 in
    the manual.

    4. Ensure you have MBM runing the proper sensing module, run the ASUS
    Probe software, and see if it reports the same values.

    Get back to us if the problem is persisting.

    Philip Callan, Mar 6, 2004

  3. red_hair_swede

    condraj Guest

    As far as cpu temperatures go, 100 degrees F is not considered hot; that's
    merely lukewarm and probably close to its idling temperature. At that
    temperature, the fan wouldn't be expected to speed up. Somebody please
    correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think there's any cause for concern
    unless the temperature gets well over 150-160 F. Once you approach that
    temperature, the fan should definitely speed up.

    condraj, Mar 6, 2004
  4. red_hair_swede

    The General Guest

    The fan speed increases with motherboard ( internal chasis)
    temperature, not that of cpu.

    Intel
    In addition to the Thermal Monitor feature, the boxed Intel
    Pentium 4 processor fan heatsink uses a high quality variable
    speed fan which allows the processor to remain within its
    operating thermal specifications by running at different
    speeds over a short range of internal chassis temperatures.
    The processor fan operates at a low speed while internal
    chassis temperatures are low. If internal chassis
    temperatures increase beyond a lower set point, the fan speed
    will rise linearly with the internal chassis temperature
    until the higher set point is reached. As fan speed
    increases, so does the noise that the fan generates. Systems
    should be designed to provide air around the boxed processor
    fan heatsink that remains below the lower set point. These
    set points, represented in Table 1 and Figure 1 can vary by a
    few degrees from fan heatsink to fan heatsink.

    Also 100F is 37C
    The fan will not increase until ~33C so there is no issue
    now.

    See also
    http://www.intel.com/support/processors/pentium4/sb/cs-
    007999.htm

    The General, Mar 6, 2004

  5. DOH! you know I read and even replied to this post, and I forgot that
    people still use Imperial :)

    Metric rules! 0 = freeze 100 = boil 15 = spring 25C = summer 37C =
    person anything above that is 'warming' :)

    Philip Callan, Mar 6, 2004
  6. red_hair_swede

    DaveW Guest

    Intel P4 CPU's typically run around 37C at idle and up to 45C under load.
    That is Normal. You have nothing to worry about.

    DaveW, Mar 7, 2004
  7. red_hair_swede

    Sid LABDI Guest

    Hi,

    P4C800E-Deluxe, bios 1016, P4C 3.2Ghz, 2GB samsung 3-3-3 3200DDR (dual mode,
    PAT activated), ATI 9700(non pro) from sapphire, TV card, hauppauge dvb's
    sat card, 4 hard disks (7200 rpm's) and Lian Li PC65 mid tower alu case. By
    the way, I have observed that the alu material of the casedon't help at all
    to lower case temperature. This is normal because there is no thrmal
    conduction between CPU/MB and the case. I don't understand why a conduction
    system has not been invented yet (a caloduc ?).

    Here are my stats:

    Idle: CPU: 33C, MB: 33C, measured by speedfan 4.11.
    Full load after 2 hours of sandra sisoft burn test (cpu test only)+flight
    simulator 2004: CPU: 49C, MB: 40C (CPU always in 100% load state).

    I use zalmann 7000 Cu heatsink, power supply is also from zalmann 400A (very
    very quiet). No overclocking.

    Now, I use fan speed 4.11 to automatically adjust my fans (2). It works
    great. This is the best solution to make the system quiet and cool.

    Best regards

    Sid

    Sid LABDI, Mar 7, 2004