P4C800 E-Deluxe & Boxed P4=LOW CPU Fan Speed

Discussion in 'Asus' started by red_hair_swede, Mar 6, 2004.

  1. Hi All!

    My first venture into the Asus newsgroup.

    Finally bit the bullet and moved into the 1000+ Mhz CPU club with a P4C800 E
    and P4 3.0 retail boxed CPU.

    Install went smooth, and I REALLY enjoy the zippy performance.

    Only issue I have, is that after installing Motherboard Monitor to keep tabs
    on my new CPU, the CPU temperature gets HOT at times.

    I have a nice big case, and the case and motherboard temperature proper are
    ok, but under any kind of load, the CPU temperature starts climbing rapidly,
    and can get into the 90's, and even briefly over 100 degrees F!

    I have the MBM dumping to a monitoring file, so I can see what is happening,
    and it seems to come down to the fact that the CPU fan (again stock retail
    boxed Intel Heat sink & Fan) NEVER speeds up, even when the CPU is getting
    close to 100F!

    I have read all the postings in this group, and seen other postings related
    to the boxed Intel Fan, and it seems to be that the CPU Fan itself has
    temperature sensing that is controlling things?

    My question, should I be concerned?

    I DON'T like to see any component getting hot, much less my CPU, so this
    does not seem like a good situation.

    Thanks,
    Red

    red_hair_swede, Mar 6, 2004

  2. red_hair_swede

    Paul Guest

    One of the datasheets I have here, says the fan starts to ramp
    between 32C [90F] and 40C [104F] (lowest to highest speed) based
    on _air_ temperature, not CPU temperature.

    If the board has Q-Fan, make sure it is disabled, to get the max
    fan speed possible. Also, if you really want the retail fan to
    scream, one of the private forums had a posting about shorting
    the thermistor on the Intel retail fan, in order to maximize the
    speed. The thermistor is NTC, and zero ohms means the thermistor
    is really hot, so the fan speed up to max. The last time I posted
    about this, someone said the thermistor was easy to get at, so
    if you are desperate, that is an option too.

    Actually, 32C to 40C is quite acceptable - many people are not so
    lucky. After all, 37C is human body temperature, and that is
    not a threat to silicon. If it was hitting 60C, you would still
    not be in danger, but most people would attempt to improve their
    cooling if this happened.

    HTH,
    Paul

    Paul, Mar 6, 2004

  3. red_hair_swede

    Anon Guest

    I have a program to load the cpu to test the fan and cpu temps. The one I
    have is from www.commlinx.com.au. It will only load my cpu (P4 3.2MHZ) to
    50%. Does anyone know of a program that will load it to 100% for fan and
    temp testing purposes?

    Anon, Mar 6, 2004
  4. It only loads to 50 since you have a HT processor, run two copies :)

    Or get a HT aware benchmarking program, and loop it.

    Philip Callan, Mar 6, 2004
  5. red_hair_swede

    Paul Guest

    CPUburn or Prime95 (torture test) are other possibilities.

    Paul

    Paul, Mar 7, 2004
  6. red_hair_swede

    Anon Guest

    Thanks, I should have known that. I recorded these results:
    P4C800-E, 3.2MHZ

    CPU at idle CPU 100%
    cpu temp - 32/89 48/118
    mb temp - 38/100 40/104
    CPU fan speed - 2556 2766
    PS fan speed - 831 1110
    Chassis fan speed - no sensor

    Anon, Mar 7, 2004
  7. Your set up nicely, I push 51C under load, what case do you use? I'm
    assuming you use a Antec PSU, or one with temperature controlled RPM,
    since Antecs dont fire up their fan until the ambient is 45C IIRC

    Philip Callan, Mar 7, 2004
  8. red_hair_swede

    Anon Guest

    Case is an AMSelectronics CF-1006SP, all aluminum. Power Supply is an
    Enermax EG475P-VE 475 watts with manual/automatic smartfan.

    Anon, Mar 7, 2004