    on which is better for RAID-0; intel or promise?

    Thanks in advance.

    Mark

    Mark, Sep 15, 2004

  2. Mark

    Lachoneus Guest

    I've got a new P4C800-E deluxe arriving tomorrow and I'd like opinions
    While we're at it, does the Silicon Image RAID controller have any
    advantages over the NVIDIA one on the K8N-E? Other than the obvious
    four drives instead of two; I don't have four drives.

    Lachoneus, Sep 15, 2004

  3. Mark

    Michael S. Guest

    IMHO, the Intel is superior since it is a part of the Intel South Bridge
    chipset whereas the Promise controller runs on the PCI bus (I would disable
    the Promise controller in the BIOS).

    FWIW, I am running RAID 0 Raptors, two IDE optical drives and a backup PATA
    HDD off of the Intel controller and they all work great.

    For your consideration: While I am running RAID 0 Raptors with that same
    motherboard, I will not utilize them again in RAID 0 when I routinely reload
    Windows from scratch in a year, since I do not do much video editing and
    recent articles in Maximum PC magazine (October, page 72), Anandtech.com and
    Storagereview.com show that after extensive testing that RAID 0 is no
    faster, and may actually be slightly slower, for gaming and routine computer
    use. Wish I had known that before I set up my RAID system a few months ago.

    Good luck,

    MikeSp

    Michael S., Sep 15, 2004