P4C800-E Deluxe & Multipule W2K OS partitions, problems installing to 2nd & 3rd partitions?

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Tim, Oct 30, 2005.

  1. Tim

    Tim Guest

    Hi there,

    Trying without success to install W2K on 3 Primary partitions on a SATA
    drive connected to the Promise Raid controller which is set to IDE. No
    other drives apart from a DVD drive connected to IDE 1.

    I can install W2K to the first Primary partition installing the Promise
    drivers from the F6 command and all goes well the OS loads.

    Then use Partition Magic 8 to set the 2nd hidden partition to Active and
    hide the other 2 Primary partitions. Again I can start the load of W2K and
    install the Promise driver at the F6 command and then begin the install of
    the OS but on the first re-boot the system says 'missing operating system'?

    I have the BIOS set in Enhanced Mode with SATA and the Promise controller is
    enabled and in IDE mode.

    Any thoughts or ideas as to what I'm doing wrong?

    Many thanks, Tim.

    Tim, Oct 30, 2005

  2. I don't think Windows will like this approach of messing around with
    partition status. Better to just activate all 3 partitions and install
    one copy of Windows on each, that should set up a multiboot menu.

    Robert Hancock, Oct 30, 2005

  3. Tim

    Tim Guest

    Hi there,

    I particularly want 3 separate partitions.

    Partition 1 W2K-SP4 partition 2 W2K and partition 3 XP-SP2 once I've managed
    to load all three partitions I then use Boot Magic to control the opening of
    any individual partition.

    There must be away of doing this but how?

    Many thanks for your pointer, Tim.

    Tim, Oct 30, 2005
  4. What you're trying to do will work, I have a similar setup here, even
    with Boot Magic running (even though my OS's are all NTFS-based).

    I bet that Windows is looking at the wrong partition after the reboot.
    In boot.ini there is a reference to where the OS is. After installing
    Win2K and getting to the reboot, you need to edit the boot.ini entry
    for the OS - the partition number is wrong, as it will probably point
    to partition(1) where it should be (2). This will happen with your
    third install as well.

    Because editing boot.ini of Win2K before it runs involves using the
    Rescue console etc. and is a hassle, I found it easier to just install
    one Win2K partition first, then from Windows add 2 extra lines to the
    boot.ini to point to partitions 2 and 3 (do this in system control
    panel), and then simply copy the whole partition to the other
    partitions on the disk. With PartitionMagic, this is easy.

    After you have the partitions working, you delete the extra boot.ini
    lines for the entries you don't need and voila, 3 separate partitions
    that do not know about the others' existence.

    Good luck,
    Freez

    Friso Gosliga, Oct 30, 2005
  5. Tim

    Mercury Guest

    Have you considered virtual PC or VMWare? You can then run all OS at the
    same time as needed - RAM being the limiting factor. VPC costs less than a
    200GB disc drive... You still need a s/w license for each install.

    I use such setups for s/w testing and have win95a, OSR2, Win98, NT4, W2k Pro
    & Server, and so on running on an XP SP2 desktop.

    Many help desk setups use VPC / VMWare so they can see exactly what the
    customer is talking about.

    There are trial downloads for both available...

    HTH

    Mercury, Oct 31, 2005
  6. Tim

    Tim Guest

    Hi there,

    I managed on the 3rd try to get it to work by installing W2K-SP4 on
    Partition 1, XP on Partition 2 and W2K on Partition 3 I knew about the
    boot.ini file but of course forgot about it and using PM I could have
    unhidden the Partitions on altered the file but as I say I succeeded
    eventually by just setting a Partition to active hiding the other Partitions
    and installing the OS.

    Again many many thanks for everyone's help, Tim.

    Tim, Oct 31, 2005